Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.10.05, 12:09 PM   #421
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Am I the only gamer who doesn't care about achievements and trophy support? everybody I know offline and online seems obsessed with them! I was recommending Valkyria Chronicles to a few mates and among the first things they asked was "does it have trophies?" after telling them it doesn't they lost interest!

People seem to care less for a game being any good these days and care more about lousy trophies! never taking a chance on a less heard of game and buying just "hits" with their damn trophies

Their game collections are like clones of each other, just all the big hits and sequels and nothing more.

I offered someone a loan of Peace Walker and they refused because of "crap graphics" it's a sad state when visuals and pointless 'achievements' mean more to folk, especially when half of these trophies are given for next to nothing in the game.

Whatever, it's their loss.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.06, 07:47 AM   #422
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I would never buy or not buy a game for achievements, and I would never force myself to get one that requires mudnanity and not fun gameplay, but I like it when achievments and trophies are a well designed way to extend longevity by giving you extra tasks to do.

I think I'll buy Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and finally Shadow Complex now, especially with the "spend 2400 points, get 800 back" deal.

Upgrading to the slimmer 360 is something I'd definitely recommend. It feels like a much better machine, and I sold my launch 20gb 360 on eBay for £84, so it cost me just over £100 to upgrade. It's good to play without the constant "this will break at any minute" thought at the back of my mind.
Old 2010.10.06, 08:18 AM   #423
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I don't take achievements too seriously, unless they unlock something I really want.

Lately I'm playing Digital Devil Saga Part 2, and there are certain rewards you will never get in Part 2 unless you did everything you could in Part 1. Since I didn't quite do everything in Part 1, I shouldn't get too invested with my time in Part 2. As PS2 RPGs, the Digital Devil Sagas don't rub things in your face like "This is what you (could have) accomplished" - there's no sort of checklist for you to follow.

I noticed that games from Valve (on Steam) are becoming very achievement-based. Because achievements actually unlock things for you in Team Fortress 2, there are.. achievement servers - where people are more concerned about their status than sportsmanship. Achievements were recently introduced into Counterstrike Source, but since the game far predates the culture of achievements among PC games, the achievements are for bragging rights only.

I'm also a little annoyed that StarCraft II has achievements. All they do for you is unlock more avatars, and if you buy the limited edition then you've got exclusive avatars which are better than any of the unlockables anyway. So SC2 set achievements up mainly as an e-penis thing where you've got a number next to your name - just like with XBox Live, except this is on Battle.Net, which hasn't had any history of doing that sort of thing.
Old 2010.10.06, 09:21 AM   #424
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Was moving the 360 while it was on (stupid) and jolted it a little and heard an almighty CRUNCH! my Mass Effect Disc 2 looks like it had a machete taken to it now not so bad though as the game can be bought new nowadays for £12.99.

Just preordered Lords of Shadow on PS3 the more I see of the game the more it looks like pretty standard adventuring fare :/ hopefully it will surprise me.
Old 2010.10.06, 10:14 AM   #425
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I just started Broken Sword again for the first time in years. I adore this game, the music and setting bring back so many memories. It was my first point-and-click game and I got really enveloped in the story and characters, possibly for the first time in a game.
Old 2010.10.06, 11:21 AM   #426
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Just preordered Lords of Shadow on PS3 the more I see of the game the more it looks like pretty standard adventuring fare :/ hopefully it will surprise me.
You should probably set your standards low for Lords of Shadow. It does nothing new at all. I've seen the God of war comparisons and I'd say they're pretty accurate. Ever played Rygar on PS2? Lords of Shadow reminds me most of that game. A nice game that doesn't do anything to push the genre further.

Plus you'll get sick of hearing Patrick Stewart's voice by the time you hit the fourth level.
Old 2010.10.06, 12:16 PM   #427
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

^I've sinced played a demo and have lost interest.

I guess I can still maintain hope for the new Deus Ex game.
Old 2010.10.07, 06:05 AM   #428
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

My import from the US finally arrived: Chrono Cross. No Trophies, no achievements, and no graphics
Still I'm finally playing Dragon Age Awakening at the moment after finishing The Witcher, which I can only higly recommend.

@Whisper
You should definitely play Shadow Complex. The first time I played the demo I wasn't that much into it, and even forgot it for another year. Then I bought it and got totally obsessed with it.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.07, 08:32 AM   #429
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
^I've sinced played a demo and have lost interest.
To be fair, the Lords of Shadow demo contains the two worst levels in the game. In fact, I'd say the entire first chapter is pretty bad. The game gets much better in the second chapter. Better level design, good platforming, and the combat finally opens up with many new moves.
Old 2010.10.07, 09:12 AM   #430
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

^Well it'll be here tomorrow so I'll still be giving it a go.

I'm more excited by Valkyria Chronicles 2 which I just ordered, especially the prospect of the multiplayer. I wish it was PS3 instead of PSP though :/ my eyes aren't the best for that sort of thing! I'll look into that cable which outputs the PSP video to a TV.