Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2010.07.29, 08:47 PM   #61
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Thanks Maou, I had gone crazy looking for it everywhere.

I just listened to Girl (it was in a demos' folder I had downloaded last week) and liked it. However, I still need to assimilate and become familiar to it, so I'm just able to say it sounds promising for me.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.30, 08:41 AM   #62
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Not only are the Girl chords nicer than most of her other songs, but the vocals are full of the lovable quirks many of us wish that Shiina Ringo were still doing in recent years.

The track almost makes me cry, because it parallels with listening to your favorite song from someone who died during your lifetime. Yes, Shiina Ringo is "still alive", but the Shiina Ringo of today expresses herself so much less freely than the Shiina Ringo of 10+ years ago. The work of her later years is what proponents would refer to as being more.. 'refined'. I won't say that's automatically a bad thing, but it's not exactly the Shiina Ringo I fell in love with.
Old 2010.07.31, 01:12 AM   #63
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Not only are the Girl chords nicer than most of her other songs, but the vocals are full of the lovable quirks many of us wish that Shiina Ringo were still doing in recent years.

The track almost makes me cry, because it parallels with listening to your favorite song from someone who died during your lifetime. Yes, Shiina Ringo is "still alive", but the Shiina Ringo of today expresses herself so much less freely than the Shiina Ringo of 10+ years ago. The work of her later years is what proponents would refer to as being more.. 'refined'. I won't say that's automatically a bad thing, but it's not exactly the Shiina Ringo I fell in love with.
I think it's completely possible, and I genuinely feel from time to time, that part of Shiina's genius is her ability to adapt and change and try new things.

The Shiina of 10 years ago *should not* be the Shiina of today. To me that would represent regression and surrender, not development and challenge. If she were channeling the same persona and reproducing the same sounds of 10 years ago, wouldn't there be even more complaints that she doesn't have the ability to do more than what she could do in her early twenties?

She is still vastly popular, and her fanbase does not entirely consist of low-standard dupes. I was just chatting with a student at Doshisha University whose specialty is music; he actually prefers Tokyo Jihen to Shiina's earlier work because her more current jazz stylings and brightness of persona, as opposed to her earlier solo work, seem to him less mannered and, as Glath also pointed out, more refined.

If we can call the Shiina of 10 years ago an artist channeling identity conflict, we can call the Shiina of today an artist in a celebratory mood; whatever "edge" remains is playful, not hostile. And there is no doubting her talent.

I suppose if she were tackling politics or other heavy themes in her songs she'd be progressive in substance as well as style. But I don't think artists have to deliver heavy thematic substance to have stature.

We can single out some traits in the music, particular instrumentals or lyrics or composition, that don't measure up to whatever standard you want to apply. But when you add it all up, Tokyo Jihen still makes 90% of everything else look like crap.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 08:43 AM   #64
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

SR:
1. Tsumi to Batsu
2. Koufukuron (both versions)
3. Honnou
4. Karisome Otome (all versions)
5. Tsugou Ii Karada

TJ:
1. Toumei Ningen
2. The Lady is a Tramp
3. Gunjou Biyori
4. Noriki
5. Superstar (just can't help it ver.)
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.31, 07:06 PM   #65
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

This is hard, but I'll do it cos I'm hungover.

SR:
1. Toki Ga bousou Suru
2. Tsumi to Batsu
3. Tsumiki asobi
4. Yattsuke Shigoto
5. Kuki

TJ:
1. Jusui Negai
2. put your camera down
3. Himitsu
4. Genjitsu wo Warau
5. Denpa Tuushin
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.12, 09:26 PM   #66
Shoujo Robot

Shoujo Robot pleased at least somebody

SR
1 Tsumi to Batsu
2 Shuukyou
3 Onaji Yoru (ZCS)
4 Honnou
5 Okonomi de

TJ
1 Juusui Negai
2 Himitsu
3 Ekimae (DO)
4 Sounan
5 Kao
Shoujo Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.14, 12:49 PM   #67
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
She is still vastly popular, and her fanbase does not entirely consist of low-standard dupes. I was just chatting with a student at Doshisha University whose specialty is music; he actually prefers Tokyo Jihen to Shiina's earlier work because her more current jazz stylings and brightness of persona, as opposed to her earlier solo work, seem to him less mannered and, as Glath also pointed out, more refined.
Just out of curiosity... Where does this jazz myth come from? We've been given three albums by Phase 2 and none of them are majority jazz. In fact, the last two are almost straight pop-rock albums. Yeah, they are more easy-listening now, but not really jazz.

Is Kabukichou no Joou considered to be a jazz song?

Last edited by Maou : 2010.08.14 at 01:42 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.14, 01:53 PM   #68
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post

I don't think 'refinement' is in any way an antonym of 'expression'. However, Ringo has been playing it much safer in recent years. As much as I don't think it's appropriate to speculate about an artist's personal life, I wonder if Ringo has become more fixated on the opinions of other people (Uki, Hirama, Music Critics, etc.) than she once was. I think Ringo has always had a pseudo-manufactured histrionic streak, but it seems like it's mostly dissipated as she appears to have been slanting her music more to gain the favors of certain audiences.
I wouldn't even be surprised to hear SR say she was embarassed about her old love of Susanna Hoffs after having worked with 'avant-garde' musicians for so long... =(

Here's my current top 6, so I'm not completely off-topic:

SR
Tsumi to Batsu (Ringo Expo '08 Version)
Yami ni Furu Ame (Ringo Expo '08 Version)
Okonomide
Sigma
Kuki

TJ
Noudouteki Sanpunkan
Blackout
Yukiguni / Kabuki
Kachiikusa
Kenka Joutou
Old 2010.09.14, 09:57 AM   #69
last_blue

last_blue pleased at least somebody

at the moment:

SR
hatsukoi shoujou
rodousha
tsumi to batsu
yokyou
konoyo no kagiri

TJ
genjitsu o warau
ringo no uta
omatsuri sawagi
bokoku joucho
himitsu
last_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.10.10, 04:43 PM   #70
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

1. Apple
2. Torikoshi Kurou
3. Okonomide
4. Honnou
5. Doppelganger
HM: Tsuki ni Makeinu

1. Blackout
2. Ikiru
3. Zettai Zetsumei
4. FOUL
5. Genjitsu wo Warau
HM: Handsome Sugite

In no particular order, but if I think about it, Okonomide would be my number #1 song for the last few years.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2013.10.10 at 04:52 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote