Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.24, 06:21 AM   #241
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I just got my CD in the mail! Amazon's shipping prices are steep, but it's worth it when they split the shipment even with the ridiculously fast shipping.
First press too! Nothing special about it though. How will this differ from regular press again?

I just finished "Futari Bocchi Jikan", and so far it's completely 50s light pop music I'd expect from the opening credits of a Doris Day film or a 60s or 70s Disney film. Shun has really grown on me a lot more. I've grown to love the part where she starts with "tashikamete..." ooh, gives me the chills! To be honest, I couldn't really stand the second song. Hopefully it will grow on me. And I liked "Vogue" in the leak, but next to the other songs it's pretty lackluster.

Continuing on... "Mayakashi Yasaotoko" is pretty much perfect. She always has great English lyric songs. (The hana one on HF is perfect.) and "Togatta Teguchi" continues the rockier flow that the previous song had. It's a faster "Hatsukoi Shojo."

Aand back to the Doris Day films with "Irokoizata". It's ok -- nothing too special. I like the trumpet though. "Bonsai Hada" is gorgeous, but that might be my weakness for accordions. And Yokyou is sooo good! I couldn't give half a mind about it with EXPO, but it's a really good ending song.

And the new Marunosa is... WEIRD. Gospel with a barbershop quarter R&B beats?! It's pretty cool, and not too bad. But I'm not too sure how often I'll actually listen to it. I love her actual English lyrics -- she's good with making even those sound fantastic. I also really like the opening too. The dreamy harp sound is gorgeous.

Overall, some parts I can't stand her warbley voice in placed. Usually I don't mind, but this time around it's in really inopportune places where it gets grating. :/ But I love the line up from 3, 4, 5, and 6. They flow really well together. It's typical Ringo fare from nowadays though. I wouldn't rank this any higher than I do Variety (which I really liked, BTW.), so I don't find any drastic change in the quality of what she's writing.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 06:21 AM   #242
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Oh, it's a flipbook of Ringo hanging out with drag queens. Very amusing!
Thanks papi
Attached Images
File Type: gif ringo_flipbook2.gif (287.6 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.06.24 at 06:44 AM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 06:48 AM   #243
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
I think that these are all songs that she likes, that the multiplicity of styles is indicative of her varied musical interests, and that the "fan requests" element was well taken care of, as most of us here really love at least a couple of tracks, albeit different ones. But this being a convenient excuse for blaming someone else for an error in judgment? That seems absurd. This first presupposes that this was some sort of failure, which, although it may be your opinion, cannot be stamped on a work of art. France's attempt at a Panama Canal, that was a quantifiable failure. Second, it implies that she has a hypersensitivity to criticism, and no one here has the required intimate familiarity with her to be able to know if that is a fact.
I wanna mention that my fan request comment was about the live tour topic, not about this album, because I agree with you overall.
To me it works like this: she listen to her fans, the critics, the music/entertainment industry, the overall reaction and it moreso influences her decisions, in some ways, but its not that decisive, me thinks, because I believe tha she is a lady with her own ideas and desires. It's just that people get the impression from her interviews that she is purely reactive, like "hey, they wanted me to do this, so I will do this". But I think this is just the very japanese "humble" game that is played in this kind of interviews, the ethics of the "others" interests becoming first and yours last. It`s just the social mask, the "tatemae". What she really thinks can be something very different.
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 06:51 AM   #244
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

She should have been a Westerner, then she would be an egomaniac, then we'd be getting KZKs left right and centre. But if she was a Westerner, her music would be different, and I may not have been into her at all. It's a tricky situation!

=P =P
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 06:52 AM   #245
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The thing i liked most about Shiina was that she made very Western music...*sigh*
Old 2009.06.24, 07:10 AM   #246
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Well, we wouldn't have gotten the KZK packaging, at least

EDIT: Togatta is terrific. Why won't Shiina fucking make a dance album?

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.06.24 at 07:16 AM.
Old 2009.06.24, 07:20 AM   #247
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The thing i liked most about Shiina was that she made very Western music...*sigh*
That was a curious comment, TJ. Not sure I understood it. Implying that there have been too many angular banjos in her recent work? Perhaps you will choose to elucidate your view. I would actually love to hear some stuff that was less Western influenced.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 07:21 AM   #248
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
EDIT: Togatta is terrific. Why won't Shiina fucking make a dance album?
Write her a request fan letter.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 07:25 AM   #249
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
That was a curious comment, TJ. Not sure I understood it. Implying that there have been too many angular banjos in her recent work? Perhaps you will choose to elucidate your view. I would actually love to hear some stuff that was less Western influenced.
I meant to say music that sounded akin to music I was already listening to. Beatle-derivative music.

I'd say Bonsai Hada was not particularly "Western" tho I do like the song.
Old 2009.06.24, 07:33 AM   #250
Scribble R

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Write her a request fan letter.
I think it's time that EMF tried to get through to Shiina. She is SURE to reply to her Western fanbase, right?

(She doesn't care about us -- 'She likes Japan')