Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.09.08, 09:32 PM   #61
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ecogazoo View Post
I require some illusion of "accessibility" in my sex objects!
That's a non-self-censoring remark and I appreciate it!

Yes, Shiina Ringo is iconic in just that unreachable way. I would argue that was not always the case. At times in her solo career she would seem very accessible. Now that she is grown into her role in TJ and refining her craft, that persona has receded a bit. Ultra C is a demonstration of this, as she is almost always off-center stage and she functions as a part of a collective, not as a driving persona.

But when she decks herself out and belts out a song like Kimaru, the focus is on her, and I don't think you can blame a spectator for sharing his (or her!) stimulated fantasies.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 09:44 PM   #62
GIGAcorrupt

GIGAcorrupt pleased at least somebody

I wanted to acknoledge the full DVD review from NIMH Rat's point of view ^^ Which I personally see as big help to those of us who don't have Ultra C yet >.>

Origianally logged on to say that there were several performances up on YT but I see someone's already covered that.
GIGAcorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 09:52 PM   #63
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
I think people who refuse to acknowledge the sexual in any artform are the creepy ones.
this is why you are a beloved moderator.

just look at the artwork for sanmon gossip; she has a guitar boner. or shes rubbing little ringo on it. how can this be ignored like its an everyday occurence?

...then again, there are fans who are too involved and graphic with their Ringo fantasy and this place isnt a place for their fanfics. haha

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2010.09.08 at 09:57 PM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 10:07 PM   #64
GIGAcorrupt

GIGAcorrupt pleased at least somebody

Ohh, in regards to the "argument" that's going on at the moment...

I also wanted to say that even though what we mostly see is Shiina Ringo aka...the persona...I do believe the real Yumiko Shiina pops out from time to time. I would say that these times tend to be ones where she gets "emotional." An example I would have of this would be the performance of "Killer Tune" during Spa & Treatment near the end of the performance. Another would be the some of her talking sessions. Such as the one from Dynamite out...

but these are my views...Idk if you guys would agree or not XD
GIGAcorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.08, 10:42 PM   #65
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by JM Romeo View Post
I may get a bad rap for saying this, but all the starstruck attitude and overall fascination with this Ringo woman feels creepy as fuck to me.

Love the band, love the musicians, absolutely love the music, but yeah, I think you know where I'm going to.

Sorry but I had to say it. One of these days I'm gonna find somebody with a full chest tattoo of I <3 RINGO CHAN or something like that.

Ok, rant ended. Feel free to lay it on me.
Sorry to quote it again, but even if there was somebody with a " I ♥ Ringo-Chan" tatoo out there I still don't think I'd class them as creepy.

There is all kinds of crappy pointless tatoos on folk out there that mean absolutely nothing, so if somebody loved Ringo enough to want a tatoo it doesn't mean they are mad stalkers or anything! if she inspires somebody out there to do something or give them that boost in some way to make positive steps in life then why not celebrate it?

As for being a sex object? of course she is! all woman (and men) in the spotlight are aren't they? nothing wrong with that at all it's just the way things are!

I was never attracted to Ringo on appearances at all, never fancied her one bit so not all fans see her that way! though she does have a cute seldomly seen smile.

She only smiles like that for me y'know!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.09, 12:31 AM   #66
JM Romeo

JM Romeo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
There is all kinds of crappy pointless tatoos on folk out there that mean absolutely nothing, so if somebody loved Ringo enough to want a tatoo it doesn't mean they are mad stalkers or anything! if she inspires somebody out there to do something or give them that boost in some way to make positive steps in life then why not celebrate it?
Talk to me about crappy pointless tattoos!

Anyway, I had to let it out. Probably my fault, because I've always been quite the iconoclast, specially when it comes to rock stars. I secretly wish that every performer pulled a retro Pink Floyd and detached themselves from the music so that it could be appreciated without the flashy personalities.

So yeah, carry on. Glad to see that I sparked some civil discussion. And Glathannus, nobody has ever given me (online at least) such a powerful vibe of being both fucking with me and dropping real knowledge. If you were like that in real life I would love to have you in my team (I work in advertising).

<3
JM Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.09, 03:01 AM   #67
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by JM Romeo View Post
Glathannus, nobody has ever given me (online at least) such a powerful vibe of being both fucking with me and dropping real knowledge. If you were like that in real life I would love to have you in my team
Because I actually am that way in real life, this might have something to do with how people 10-25 years older than me (who are by no means a crowd - they are totally separate) have recently been seeking my counsel on issues that aren't always technical. It's a little surreal because I haven't entirely grown accustomed to this yet.
Old 2010.09.09, 03:05 AM   #68
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I recently learned that Ayumi Hamasaki came to London to record her latest album. You can find photos of her and her English fans, who (Apparently) met her at her hotel or accidentally-on-purpose 'bumped' into her outside the recording studio. It made me wonder how I'd react if SR suddenly announced she was doing the same...

...I think I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be excited, but meeting the real SR would shatter the illusion (Let alone 'doing things' to the real SR -- where did that come from?). The Ayu thing gave me the incomfortable image of stopping Shiina and saying how much of a fan I was, how Karooky Saman Koory no Hannah changed my life and may I take a picture with my arms wrapped around you. No. Not saying that Ayu fans are stalkers, but I'm happy with keeping my SR fascination 'fictional'. The newspaper clipping of Ringo and her baby is where I drew the line.

I admit that I have a smidgen of interest about her personal life when it ties into the music. Like wondering what led to a change in musical direction, or what she's getting at with lyrics, what she wants to do next. I couldn't care less about costume changes when it gets down to it (But I have eyes, and if she I'll comment on it. Otherwise don't release PVs), but it's not as if SR's 'flashy personality' and music are mutually exclusive. Like with Ikiru and Kimaru. And if SR inspires someone, that's only a good thing. It's wrong to assume that every 'fan' locks themselves in a room and sleeps in a bed made up of defaced Ringo (or whoever) printouts.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.09, 03:31 AM   #69
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Shiina Ringo has been to England already, but not recently, and not while there'd be anyone outside of Japan to recognize her on the streets.

Asai Kenichi gets around a lot, and you never hear about it while it's happening - which kind of pisses me off, because I would totally fly to Arizona or some other place in North America if I knew he was there at the time (he's also done recordings and minor gigs in England). It wouldn't be creepy or anything, because he's a male, and I'm a heterosexual male, and I don't have any plans to shoot him after shaking his hand or getting his autograph.

I got into Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra less than one year after they did a small and seemingly one-time tour in the US. I never even heard about this tour, but I saw it on a bonus DVD and.. it's yet another thing I get to grate my teeth about.

I was almost paralyzed when I actually did meet with HZM (touring with PE'Z), and Nabana (from detroit7) though. Most of us would probably like to think we'd be ready to meet Shiina Ringo in-person, but the reality is half of us would practically shit ourselves and almost turn into statues within a few feet of her.
Old 2010.09.09, 03:44 AM   #70
JM Romeo

JM Romeo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Because I actually am that way in real life, this might have something to do with how people 10-25 years older than me (who are by no means a crowd - they are totally separate) have recently been seeking my counsel on issues that aren't always technical. It's a little surreal because I haven't entirely grown accustomed to this yet.
It was totally out of love <3
JM Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote