Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.11.05, 03:56 PM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default I don't understand -- The original Heisei Fuzoku?

Here I go cluttering up the SR forum with Late-to-the-Party threads. I think this was vaguely touched upon in the R.I.P Shiina threads ().

In a HF interview, she said that she completed an instrumental soundtrack, but she presented it to the director but it was rejected.

So as I understand it, the 'original HF' exists somewhere in Shiina's wardrobe as demos? I'm not really familiar with the music-making process, so bear with me -- she said she 'completed' it, so to what extent would that be? She said that she would definitely be up for composing for another movie, so perhaps we may see it resurface?

I'm just curious. Instead of Watashi no Houden (Which I actually liked because I hadn't listened to *any* Ringo B-Side up to that point!) and all that gimmicky stuff, it would have been nice to hear it maybe. Or she's just sitting on it.

Edit: Also, why didn't she just rework the original HF to contain vocals, unless it was so drastically different from the HF that was released? Yes, this sounds terribly naive. And I believe that she had the idea for Sanmon Gossip back then?

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.11.05 at 04:02 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.05, 05:41 PM   #2
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I, for one, would love to see what the original Heisei Fuuzoku was supposed to sound like. I've always been curious about it myself.
Old 2009.11.05, 08:31 PM   #3
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I don't really know any of the behind-the-scenes trivia about Heisei Fuuzoku, but I know that some "Instrumental" tracks were released, but that they were simply Shiina Ringo excluded from the mix. This means the instruments were/are doing the same thing as the normal album - they're not compensating for the lack of vocals. Also, while the "Instrumental" tracks may have excluded Shiina Ringo's own microphone, her wailing leaked into the microphones of the Saito Neko crew and you can still faintly hear her. She probably had a sound booth rather than a sealed room.

I think pretty much everything you hear in the movie matches the instrumental or regular version tracks of the album, except for Gamble. Now if there are other instrumentals that were never designed to feature any vocals, that would have to be Saito Neko's doing (his violin-playing would replace the vocals). There's a B-side on the KYNK single. Maybe other songs were done the same way, but I have no idea how much time, effort, and recording resources were ever invested into that.
Old 2009.11.06, 12:08 AM   #4
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

according to the japanese wiki Ringo was asked to take part in the project and since Jihen was on hiatus due to Hata's injury (he had a leg injury), Ringo decided to compose original instrumental versions. when she presented those to the director, the director confessed that she had envisioned Ringo's earlier solo work as the soundtrack for the film, so Ringo took this and went back to her earlier work, rearranging it and contributing a handful of new songs for the movie. instead of releasing a separate soundtrack for the movie, the album serves as the companion piece to the movie. Ringo wanted the music and the movie to be one and the same, so if you watch the movie you will notice there are some tracks, such a prominent piano instrumental of Kuki and also of Yume no Ato, which are not available anymore except as part of the film. The instrumentals Glath mentioned were HF tracks with the vocal part removed only and distributed digitally.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.06, 12:26 AM   #5
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Shiina Ringo
"After all, I completed the music according to my imagination after reading the original work, the basic themes are there already, so I changed/varied different instruments, performed different versions of that theme, and completed an instrumental soundtrack. But it was rejected by the director, who expressed that it's best all to be singing. It was completely opposite to what I initially conceived. So, after the point was understood, and the requirements for each scene such as "this type of music here", "don't need that here" was clarified, I took them home to think."
I really hope we get to hear it one day, even though I absolutely lurve the instrumental Heisei Fuzoku which IMO erases the 'rehashness' of the original version. I wonder how many tracks she did for the original soundtrack...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.06, 02:20 AM   #6
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I really hope we get to hear it one day, even though I absolutely lurve the instrumental Heisei Fuzoku which IMO erases the 'rehashness' of the original version. I wonder how many tracks she did for the original soundtrack...
I can't imagine why she would ever release it. I mean it was written specifically for the film and with the characters and scenes in mind, so in her mind it is probably deeply tied to the film. if it was written more loosely under different conditions I'd say it would be possibly for her to write lyrics to the songs or recycle the material, but this is probably just material locked into the vault, and if she ever whips it out, I doubt she admit she is recycling sakuran instrumentals for new work.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote