Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2012.03.02, 09:37 AM   #1601
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Various forms of drain were a large part of what got me through SMT: Nocturne. Not only was my main character doing drains, but there was also a death rider I kept in my party almost until my endgame, mainly because they had an extra-powerful drain skill which couldn't be transferred in demon fusions.

Not only does it let you survive with minimal resources in serious dungeons, but you can really shut some bosses down with several strong drainers in your party.
Old 2012.03.02, 10:08 AM   #1602
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ Daisoujou's Meditation skill was insane, but I think it was limited to only him. The MC could only Drain MP, right?

I'm getting similar results to Meditation with a skill I can put on every demon with almost no effort. Man I hope some boss waltzes in and smashes me Megido.
Old 2012.03.02, 10:35 AM   #1603
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
^ Daisoujou's Meditation skill was insane, but I think it was limited to only him. The MC could only Drain MP, right?
Both of those assertions are true.

However, MP-only drains can still be extremely useful, if you're spending lots of MP. You could intermittently be spamming MP Drain with Debilitate, and if the enemy periodically dispels that - oh well, at least you're getting some good hits in, you're not taking too much punishment yourself, and you can't "waste" a resource you never run out of.

And if I recall correctly, enemies don't retaliate against drains.
Old 2012.03.02, 11:11 AM   #1604
Maou

Believe me, I use a lot of MP. I usually play magic builds in SMT and spinoff games. I'm usually cautious with physical skills in the mainline SMT games. I hate the risk of using HP for a skill.
Old 2012.03.02, 12:25 PM   #1605
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

I don't know what's funnier about Drain in Devil Survivor, the fact that it's 2 MP or the fact that it's Almighty. It's been almost three years since I played DS, but I remember Drain + Holy Dance tearing through everything in the game, except for a certain optional boss that needs to be grinded for anyway. (I don't have much SMT experience, but are Almighty skills supposed to be that powerful?)

I've heard good things about DS2; may pick it up soon.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.02, 12:48 PM   #1606
Maou

^ Usually only the very top-tier Almighty spells are that powerful. Death Flies (instant kills anything without Mudo resistance), Black Viper, Morning Star, Ragnarok and a couple others are very powerful. You can usually take anything in the game by the time you get them though. That's why I'm surprised about Drain in DS. The only other skill like it in the series is the Meditation in Nocturne mentioned earlier.

Generally, Almighty skills aren't very powerful, but they can't be resisted. It's a bit of a tradeoff or last resort kind of thing.
Old 2012.03.02, 02:07 PM   #1607
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Has anybody played Myst? I've heard nothing but good things but I want some EMF opinions.

Also, I can't decide whether to get the Masterpiece or Real Edition.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.02, 02:20 PM   #1608
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

my fiance loves that game; whatever the original iteration was
Old 2012.03.02, 03:19 PM   #1609
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Has anybody played Myst? I've heard nothing but good things but I want some EMF opinions.

Also, I can't decide whether to get the Masterpiece or Real Edition.
Dunno about any of the later editions, but the original was a disgrace to gaming.

Every 3D-like thing the player saw, was pre-rendered. "Progressing" through the game, was like navigating through a web of occasionally-animated photographs. You jump between nodes in that web (the map), and within each node (each "place" within that map) there's only 2-4 angles (all of them completely predetermined and static) in which you can examine your immediate surroundings. Each angle is at best a looped video with weather, wildlife, torchlight, or some man-made contraptions in regular operation - or it's just a completely-still image. This was why the game required players to install Quicktime on their computers - Myst in its entirety was literally a bunch of webbed-together videos (or panoramas), with some YouTube-like potential to click on certain sections of the image to jump into other videos.

The sad truth is, you could port the entire original Myst (and its first sequel - Riven) into YouTube. If a looping feature were to be introduced into YouTube, users could have precisely the same experience as launching Myst from a CD-ROM. There is no other highly successful "videogame" franchise I could say that about.

The gist of why the early Myst projects make me so angry, is because the "game" was 99% graphics and 1% interactivity (and I'm not fucking exaggerating). Even the Metal Gear Solids and Final Fantasy XIII are nowhere near as over-compromised for graphics as Myst originally was.

What they may have done in later years, was remake Myst with 3D rendered in realtime - where you'd be free to look at things from any angle you wanted. If there's such a thing as a Myst game that doesn't want to install Quicktime on your computer, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, there are recent games (such as Crysis or Dead Island) where you roam around in fully-interactive 3D which looks at least as good as the pre-rendering anyone was doing during the 1990s.
Old 2012.03.02, 07:39 PM   #1610
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

By the way, Maou, are you playing Overclocked? I just realized I don't recognize "Ishtar" and am assuming it's one of the new demons. And what Day are you on?

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Dunno about any of the later editions, but the original was a disgrace to gaming.
Well, I was about to post that Myst "is a tad overrated" and "doesn't hold up very well," but Glath outmatched me with his vehement hatred of the game. Wow!

I haven't played realMYST, so I can't speak for it.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote