Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.08.23, 08:11 PM   #1
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts
Default YUKI/JAM

I couldn't find what happened to the YUKI/JAM thread....

I just got megaphonic in the mail today and have been listening to it in random spurts throughout the day.

Anyone else listening to this album?

At first I was disappointed because the sound and production is very different from her last record. I'm not a huge fan of adult contemporary but when done right it can be really nice. her last album and title single proved that point. However, the more I listen to it and judge it on its own merits, the more I am actually enjoying it. Ureshikutte Dakiauyo was a great period for YUKi, it really suited her, it felt both mature but youthful and ecstatic, which is how I generally think of YUKI.

this album is very electronic. It reminds me of the progression she had earlier in her career from Commune to Joy. Where commune was organic/band oriented, Joy was very much experimental and electronic for the pop scene.

Ureshikutte Dakiauyo and then Megaphone seem similar. With repeated listens the tracks I originally wrote off as generic electro pop songs are really opening up and becoming surprisingly likable.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.24, 06:57 PM   #2
LoverlyBijouu

LoverlyBijouu pleased at least somebody

I've heard a few songs from her new album, megaphonic.

I just instantly thought of 'Maiagare' and 80's pop. I don't like much of it, but I think it will grow on me in time.
LoverlyBijouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.24, 07:22 PM   #3
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by LoverlyBijouu View Post
I've heard a few songs from her new album, megaphonic.

I just instantly thought of 'Maiagare' and 80's pop. I don't like much of it, but I think it will grow on me in time.
It's all growing on me very fast. Dear Mama, the b-side from Hello (which is the only Megaphonic-era single to have a b-side not included on the eventual album), is mad catchy.

I am almost tempted to say that it feels like she retreaded old ground, but it feels very different from Joy and WAVE, her two pop records previous to this. This feels very electronic but also adult contemporary, it feels like a natural progression from ureshikutte dakiauyo. I hope she considers doing a harder album next (fugainaiya was her last great rock song).
Old 2011.08.24, 09:14 PM   #4
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

But wasn't Joy and WAVE also electropop + adult contemporary? To me the album feels a like a step backwards.

That doesn't mean I don't like it though. It is very well-made and is a great album.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.25, 07:27 AM   #5
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
But wasn't Joy and WAVE also electropop + adult contemporary? To me the album feels a like a step backwards.

That doesn't mean I don't like it though. It is very well-made and is a great album.
JOY felt like a step backward for me at the time and WAVE was no more than a couple of extra b-sides thrown into a singles compilation to make an album. WAVE felt very very lazy and except for one or two b-sides, only is likable due to the strength of the singles from that era. JOY feels similar in a way except the singles from that era weren't as strong.

Ureshikutte Dakiauyo was her first actual album in quite some time, where the singles and album tracks all felt cohesive and whole. This album has moderately catchy singles but overall the album tracks are all a lot better than anything you'd find on JOY or WAVE, so even though the pop sound is nothing new for her, it still feels like a progression. It's definitely a grower. I read some of the lyrics though and wow...My Private Idaho...wtf.
Old 2011.08.25, 12:50 PM   #6
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think the problem with most of YUKI's albums is that they are made over a large span of time, so they don't feel like a cohesive piece of work.
I agree with your assessment of WAVE, but I do think Joy is pretty good.

I haven't listened to megaphonic non-singles yet, so I'll come back with a more complete impression.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.27, 06:41 AM   #7
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I couldn't find what happened to the YUKI/JAM thread....

Anyone else listening to this album?
It's right here, at the top of this sub-forum's third page.

I'll be sure to listen to the album since I loved Ureshikutte Dakiau yo and loved the concert broadcast for the album even more. I was really into "Himitsu" and "Wild Ladies", but didn't ever warm up to the other two main single tracks.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.10, 08:51 PM   #8
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Still can't hack YUKI for some reason, though technically I should like her
Old 2012.11.11, 02:42 AM   #9
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

If you liked Mariko's Speed of light....then I can't see how you can't like anything of Yuki from Prismic up to Wave, there is something in there for you. Fugainaiya had that piano, love love love that song. Wonderline too.

I haven't listened to megaphonic a 2nd time yet. I was so not up for that sound when it came out. I got everything from Joy up to Ureshikutte dakiau yo at the same time. I REALLY like Ureshikutte and that live album, Present. megaphonic was not the direction I hoped she was going. I'm going to try and touch the album again, but I remember saying "What the hell happen?" not even half way through it.

I had a friend that thought this was better than Ureshikutte dakiau yo. We don't talk anymore- I feel that strongly about this. I'll try though. I'll try. I really can't see how neko felt these albums were similar.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.11, 03:37 PM   #10
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

299792458 is way better than any of YUKI's solo albums. Her brand of electro-pop is cute and charming, but somewhat forgettable. They don't have the lasting appeal of JAM albums.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote