Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.04.02, 02:39 PM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default [SR] 2013.05.27 - Irohanihoheto [Iro wa Nioedo]/Kodoku no Akatsuki (CD) [Single]

いろはにほへと/孤独のあかつき (Irohanihoheto [Iro wa Nioedo]/Kodoku no Akatsuki)

01. いろはにほへと (Irohanihoheto [Iro ha Nioedo])
02. 孤独のあかつき (Kodoku no Akatsuki)

Retail Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.26, 05:46 PM   #4
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Anybody else heard Kodoku no Akatsuki in full yet? I've now checked out the sample (first 1:30 on iTunes) and it sounds.... ok (it's the version we heard before that I was bitching about. The verses sound quite nice but the chorus is as I said before, enough to make Tomei Ningen cringe). Has nothing on Irohanihoheto. Early feedback I'm hearing is that it has no orchestra or dance part either (them credits must have been for the multitude of versions the show has apparantly). A bit disappointed if that's the case, really...

Edit: Second half is better than first half, but goes back into that crappy chorus at the end. I'm 50/50 on this (on initial impressions). Will wait a week to decide fully on it.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.26 at 07:40 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.26, 08:53 PM   #5
ra_yy

ra_yy is headed in the right direction

i personally am not that into Irohanihoheto.. but i'm massively enjoying the other one, except for its awkward bridge, that i think the first one suffered from, it would had been nicer without them, i wish they werent so short though. here's to hoping for her next album, whenever it may be
ra_yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.26, 09:02 PM   #6
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The bridge is seriously my favorite part on both of these songs :-p
Old 2013.05.26, 09:15 PM   #7
ra_yy

ra_yy is headed in the right direction

Really? I can hear impressive flourishes and strings in irohanihoheto, and guitar (especially in kodoku no akatsuki) but in the latter, it sounds like a weird jump in key. maybe the final chorus could have followed that sort of idea. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around that yet. kna sounds very reminiscent of Tokyo Jihen. I'm wasn't ever that much in love with their work.

Also, at first I loathed her autotuning in the other version of kna, but now im very curious to hear it in full.
ra_yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 06:06 AM   #8
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I gotta confess the recent JPS downtime is making me feel extremely crippled.

On "Kodoku" - I quite enjoyed it. The writing is basically strong, I just wish she had done something more progressive with its arrangement, like she did in "Watashi no aisuru hito". The bridge is slightly bizarre; not convinced it works the same way the peculiar bridge in "Iroha" does. Definitely the weaker song of the two.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 07:28 AM   #9
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I like Irohanihoheto simply because of harpischords, which are cool. I am a sucker for them, it's the highlight of Remote Controller and the only reason I like 1 Lady Gaga song (Bad Romance)
[[Then again, it might be a celeste, eh close enough]]

EDIT:
Man, this is one frankenstein of a song, isn't it? You got strings, that filtered out guitar like in Meisai, the harpischord lullaby thing, it's like Shiina took all her schticks and put them in a blender. A very fitting 15th anniversary song. I feel like a song like this is something only she could conceive of. I like the tempo (?) change around 1:23 and the very last verse.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.05.27 at 07:32 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 09:36 AM   #10
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't like Kodoku no Akatsuki at all, except the short bridge (though it sounds quite out of place). it sounds like a Toumei Ningen sequel only with better production

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I gotta confess the recent JPS downtime is making me feel extremely crippled
me too, that downtime is driving me nuts, especially as the single is still not avilable on my country's itunes
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote