Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.06.28, 12:16 PM   #31
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
^ wow, did not realize that there was so much hate for the Sora single. Guess pop rock isn't everybody's cuppa around here.
I wouldn't say it was hated so much as it underwhelmed. It was OK, but didn't really do anything to separate itself as a great song. It was just kind of one note and didn't take any exciting twists or turns. Izawa's playing in the chorus was my favorite part of the song.
Old 2011.06.28, 12:20 PM   #32
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

From what I'm reading this is probably going to be the unpopular opinion, but I'm going to agree with gekokujyo in that I liked Sports better.

Sports felt....easier to listen to imo. Dai hakken, feels a bit dark and gloomy. I dunno. I like the album though, more than Variety lol. My favorites so far are Track 6 and Track 9.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 12:29 PM   #33
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ yea exactly, easier to listen to was exactly how I felt about Sports. I could really bop to a lot of the stuff on Sports, but for this record, while there's a lot of good stuff going on, I don't have the same intense visceral feeling I got with songs like ikiru and 3min.

On Sora, I agree that the verse-chorus structure was pretty standard, but it was a really solid song I felt. Like when I feel like I want to listen to a well-executed pop rock song, thats the song I've been going to for the past month, and then 3min immediately after that. Is izawa's playing the fuzzy strumming that serves as the rhythmic backdrop for the whole song? If so that's probably one of my favorite bits of the song as well.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 12:35 PM   #34
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

1. Tengoku e Youkoso For the Disc - This is the definitive version of the song, and a great opener. Percussion fits the "discovery" aesthetic. 4/5
2. Zettaichi tai Soutaichi - Unexceptional, but I can't hold anything against it. 3/5
3. Atarashii Bunmei-kaika - A solid track (but, for me, the composition is superior to the arrangement). 4/5
4. Denki no Nai Toshi - One of the strongest tracks on the album, but a bit oddly placed for being Daihakken's version of Tegami/Yume no Ato. I might as well have listened to the album on shuffle. 4/5
5. Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko - Yeah, I guess. I don't mind TJ slipping into straight J-rock, but straight rock is a bit jarring. 2/5
6. Kinjirareta Asobi - A pleasant surprise (seeing as how I can't disassociate the name from Rozen Maiden ). Love how the chorus rises from nothing, like Omatsuri Sawagi. 4/5
7. Dopamint! BPM103 - So much improved. (On my first listen I timed it at BPM207. Silly me ) 4/5
8. Osorubeki Otona-tachi - Easy listening. I think I like Shiina's English on this track more than any other (in her entire career, not just on Daihakken). 4/5
9. 21-seiki Uchuu no Kou - I should say that I have a softspot for Toumei Ningen...I don't necessarily think this is a good track, but I happen to like it (and these are the only two Kameda arrangements I care for). 3/5
10. Katsute wa Otoko to Onna - This may grow on me in the same way that Boutomin did, but for now... 2/5
11. Sora ga Natteiru - Didn't like it before, don't like it now. Just typical Kameda. 1/5
12. Kaze ni Ayakatte Yuke -- Very forgettable, being the shortest track on the album and caught between an A-side and B-side. 1/5
13. Onna no Ko wa Daredemo -- As someone who listened to this as a single before first hearing Sanmon Gossip two days ago, and now listening to it trying to close out an album...I'm a bit confused. I love Shiina singing showtunes, but this is Tokyo Jihen, not Shiina Ringo. 2/5
--
14. Tengoku e Youkoso For the Tube - As an extra track, I like it. If it's intended to end the album as a mirror to its more fittingly-arranged brother, then I hate it. The weakest ending track on a SR/TJ studio album -- even Metro worked well as a coda to Killer Tune. 2/5

I think I'll place it on the same level as Variety and Sports. There are some great individual tracks here, but it just doesn't have the balance or cohesion of either Variety or Sports.

EDIT: I just noticed, mr. Pillow... our reviews are scarily similar

Last edited by The Most Curious Thing : 2011.06.28 at 12:46 PM.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 12:58 PM   #35
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

Haha, I was just noticing that and when I read your comment at the end I started laughing. Yay for thinking alike!
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 01:21 PM   #36
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

There seems to be a lot of [dislike] for Katsute wa Otoko to Onna (here and on Last.fm), but I find it to be one of the easiest tracks to listen to. The rest of the album is so high-energy that it's nice to have a break. I was disappointed with it at first since it's nothing super creative, but after listening through the album a few times I find it to be really refreshing when I reach it.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 02:23 PM   #37
ParisJihen

ParisJihen has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh my... 12. 風に肖って行け GO WITH THE WIND - My fav ! only 2'36...
ParisJihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 02:37 PM   #38
jackmanca

jackmanca is headed in the right direction

I'm just passing by to say that I won't be around these days that I'm listening to Daihakken.

And that Kameda really glows in track 5.
The rest I'll say next week, maybe.

But I already love it.
Hope you guys have an awesome discovery
(I'm full of love after hearing this album)
Old 2011.06.28, 03:23 PM   #39
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Is izawa's playing the fuzzy strumming that serves as the rhythmic backdrop for the whole song? If so that's probably one of my favorite bits of the song as well.
No, that isn't him. Izawa plays the other parts in the song. Ukigumo's parts should come out of the left speaker while Izawa/Ringo are the right speaker in most songs. There are a few exceptions such as Pinocchio in which Ukigumo plays both guitar parts in the recording.

Ukigumo is the weakest part of the song for me. His part sounds really, really good during the intro, but it gets more and more grating as the song goes on. He needed to play more variations during the song (like he did around 2:14 and early into the first verse) to keep things interesting. He didn't and it left me with the feeling that the song could have been better.

I must say, though, that the song has a much bigger impact when played on the album. I did not like Katsute wa Otoko to Onna at all. It was putting me to sleep and then Sora ga woke me right the heck up. Very good song placement there.

I'm not going to give my full review yet. I want to listen to it a couple more times and digest it a little more before then. I must say that my biggest disappointment is in the production of the album and not the songs on the album. Way too many times is Hata relegated to background noise. I had to really focus in to try to enjoy Hata's playing here. It's not fair to him.
Old 2011.06.28, 04:57 PM   #40
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Does anyone else WTF at 2:30 of track 2? WTF.

Also, I've read people comparing Tengoku for the disc to Sourtesu. A bit generous maybe but it's great to hear a song that I didn't see coming from Jihen.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.06.28 at 05:11 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote