Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.12.10, 05:42 PM   #511
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

2nd best song on there :-p
Old 2014.12.10, 07:29 PM   #512
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Some tracks sound like someone else wrote and produced the music and she only contributed the vocal. But maybe her adding her unique vocal style to otherwise conventional songs is part of the concept behind this album.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.11, 01:33 AM   #513
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
Some tracks sound like someone else wrote and produced the music and she only contributed the vocal. But maybe her adding her unique vocal style to otherwise conventional songs is part of the concept behind this album.
At the back of the lyrics of the Sennou book, it says "All songs written and produced by Seiko Oomori". (I will take a photo if you want)

However, it is true that different songs do have different sound engineers, this is probably what is causing the effect that you are hearing (though I can't say I personally am hearing it).

I'm also guessing a lot of (if not all) these songs were written the same way the last two were- that is, on acoustic guitar. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear those stripped back version live at sometime. It would be nice to get another demos CD, but I'm not sure if that will be a thing anymore now that she's on AVEX. Time will tell.

Also, I've noticed subtle changes in the booklets of the two versions I have (some alternative drawings etc). The back cover looks like it links together too- as if you need to get all 3 versions to see the whole picture. I'm not going to buy the CD only version just to see this though :-p I'm guessing record store day 2015 will bring us a vinyl pressing- AVEX always seem to get one or two albums in on RSD (I bought BiS' WHO KILLED IDOL last year for example), so maybe I'll get to see it then if they go with the CD only cover.

I have not had time to watch all of the documentary DVD yet- but it's pretty neat to say the least. Just wish I had some subtitles. Reminds me of Dyanamite In! in it's style I suppose.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.11 at 01:40 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.11, 03:48 AM   #514
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

If you say that you could listen to an instrumental version of any of these songs and identify it as a Oomori song, I believe you. You are the local authority. I wish I had your depth of knowledge, but that is unlikely to ever occur. With the limited amount of time I have these days to listen to music, I find myself overwhelmed just trying to vet all the albums in my queue ( most get quickly tossed into the "sucks" bin). I recently listened to three albums by one artist and there was only one song I really liked. Maybe I should quit searching for diamonds pocketed in bleak beds of coal.

I envy your passion for Oomori, which I am sure is mirrored here by other's focus on Ringo. Been there more than once and I fondly look back on those very satisfying times. There was an era of my life when I purchased every album by multiple artists, every obscure 12" remix, even had a near-encyclopedic knowledge of multiple genres, and it seemed effortless. That seems unfathomably difficult now. Just being vaguely familiar with the work of most of the top tier Jpop artists is a goal I doubt I will ever achieve. Sometimes I feel like an ignorant old fuck who shouldn't post his opinions about anything.
Old 2014.12.11, 04:10 AM   #515
deadgrandma

Well, if not Oomori, Just go for Boris, pretty great/intense option and the majority of their work is superb :-)
Old 2014.12.11, 04:47 AM   #516
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

I'd much rather stick with Oomori, who I have already invested time and attention to and know that I like.
Old 2014.12.11, 06:54 AM   #517
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think there's some flexibility when saying she wrote all these songs. She may have written and came up with the backbone for all of these songs, but she definitely didn't write and compose every single part. I doubt she wrote the drums, bass and every guitar part from her backing band.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.11, 12:31 PM   #518
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
There was an era of my life when I ... had a near-encyclopedic knowledge of multiple genres, and it seemed effortless. That seems unfathomably difficult now.
Name:  7d1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  60.7 KB
Old 2014.12.13, 02:31 PM   #519
anonlurker

Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Did you ever work out what it reminded you of? The part where she sings "ikite iru, ikite yuku" (I think it's the chorus) reminds me heavily of something, but I just can't figure out what...
I thought the same. Reminds me of The beatles. Intro is definitely "Blackbird". and the piano in the background at the 02:00 mark is very "In My Life". I think it's the drumming more than the chorus though.
Old 2014.12.13, 05:22 PM   #520
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

There are some songs on here that, instrumentally, don't sound like her music. Or, it could just be she is a revealing a multi-faceted side to her music. Maybe this is the type of idol pop-inspired music she has always wanted to make, but never had the budget.

I feel like Oomori is split in 3 parts, and they haven't yet come together completely.
Oomori the acoustic confessional singer-songwriter
Oomori the twisted idol
Oomori the punk princess (Pink Tokarev shows)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote