Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.03.21, 04:43 PM   #61
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

In every radio interview she made (and she made a lot already), people ask her about a tour and tell her she should definitely do one and they would support her. She answers "I guess I ought to do it one day" all the time, tho, which is not very convincing.

She's going to those 3 Sephora stores: New York, LA and Miami. Sephora is such a huge international chain, I don't know how can it not be good to do events there. Unless Sephora isn't as popular in the States as it is in Europe.
Besides that, in most radio interviews throughout the country people/fans have been able to go there and meet her or phone the show and talk with her. The next radio stations she's going to are Portland, Reno, Sacramento, San Francisco and Los Angeles. And probably more afterwards, I guess.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.21, 04:54 PM   #62
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yeah, she's been doing radio shows like crazy! I'm hoping the CD is a success.. well, at least enough of a success so she'll be able to make a third album in the States.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.21, 05:59 PM   #63
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

I wish she wouldn't have to make a TITO-like album in order to succeed, to be honest. Exodus is such a better album... If more people knew about it, when it was released, I think it would have been huge. It's a 2004 album that sounds like something that could have come out last year or this year. It was really bad promotion's fault and the record company targeted the wrong market. I do hope she can bring us a third album that's more Exodus-like and I believe she wants that as well. And in a broad perspective, TITO isn't all that mainstream, it doesn't really blend with common american pop. I'd say it's as experimental as Exodus, just not as complex or personal/honest.
Old 2009.03.22, 12:51 AM   #64
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

No, Sephora's pretty popular here too. Yes, it's a cosmetics chain. I can see that being a good move for her and if these in-store events do well, maybe a tour! I'd hate for what happened to Maria Mena happen to her though, so only if she gets big enough for a tour to do well (Maria Mena = a Norwegian singer, but all her songs are in English, and they're really good, but she did a U.S. tour before she really got very well-known here at all, only had one single to her name, and I think a lot of the venues were pretty empty and she got super upset about it and now no longer releases music here at all! arrrrgh it sucks because I really don't want to pay import prices on her albums).
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.22, 02:43 AM   #65
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
No, Sephora's pretty popular here too. Yes, it's a cosmetics chain. I can see that being a good move for her and if these in-store events do well, maybe a tour! I'd hate for what happened to Maria Mena happen to her though, so only if she gets big enough for a tour to do well (Maria Mena = a Norwegian singer, but all her songs are in English, and they're really good, but she did a U.S. tour before she really got very well-known here at all, only had one single to her name, and I think a lot of the venues were pretty empty and she got super upset about it and now no longer releases music here at all! arrrrgh it sucks because I really don't want to pay import prices on her albums).
She had that You're the Only One song, yeah? I used to love that song!

Edit: I'm doubting Utada will tour. Unless the album takes off, which I don't forsee, the record label wouldn't risk the financial cost of it.

Edit #2: WTF @ the prospect of seeing Utada sing something like Poppin' live... O____o
Old 2009.03.22, 03:54 AM   #66
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Exodus didn't take off exactly because it was ahead of its time. It didn't fit with what was played on the radio and was probably deemed unmarketable at that time, hence the no-promotion.
But calling This Is The One an "experimental" album is a bit too much. I don't even call Exodus or Ultra Blue experimental, it's just good pop with its own face. In the interviews she makes Exodus sound like it's a hard listen or something, but it's really not if your taste isn't deformed by charts. It's not Kate Bush's "The Dreaming", though in Utada's discography it'd probably take a similar place.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.22, 04:15 AM   #67
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

We really have a problem understanding each other merman.
Old 2009.03.22, 04:50 AM   #68
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Heeeeey... I DO understand what you mean in your posts! I just have different views, and if everybody had the same opinion about everything, what would the use of a discussion be? It's an exchange, not an argument. I don't have anything against you if you thought so, and I wholly accept your opinions, because they're valid, but does that mean I can't present mine if I think differently? Then I could just stop posting altogether.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.22, 05:20 AM   #69
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by merman View Post
But calling This Is The One an "experimental" album is a bit too much.
Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I'd say it's as experimental as Exodus, just not as complex or personal/honest.
I'm not saying it's an experimental album, because I don't really know where a "experimental album" starts to differ from a "normal album", hence I don't know what a "experimental album" is. Common sense calls Medulla an experimental album, but I don't know if Utada didn't "experiment" much more with Ultra Blue than Björk with her album. Madonna might have made a lot of experiments with Hard Candy, as well.
Experimental is a tag as good as indie.

What I said was that TITO was as experimental as Exodus is, in the sense that both are pop/r'n'b/electronicish and yet they try to cross some pre-established mainstream boundaries. Apart from that, TITO is the second most singular album in her entire career (japanese or american), so maybe it involved even more experimenting than what we might think. That's not to say it's a "difficult-to-listen-to" album, since the objective of the experiment may be for it to have a "mainstream sound".
"As experimental as" doesn't point to a level of "experimental", it just says that both share the same level.
Old 2009.03.22, 11:13 AM   #70
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
She had that You're the Only One song, yeah? I used to love that song!
Yup! That song is great. You should get more of her music if you liked it, she's still an active artist and has released lots of other songs just as good!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote