Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.02.19, 01:14 PM   #11
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Okay, I see. I wonder, though, just how "separate" Japan and Western music are in Japan. I know they are considered separate categories, but the volume of available works (based on just my experience browsing in music stores and chatting with people) is pretty staggering. Maybe not equal, but much more equal compared to the volume of Japanese music in Western stores. I don't want to go the cliched route and say Japanese music always "follows" Western trends, but I think Japanese audiences and musicians are always much more aware of Western trends than Westerners are of Japanese trends.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.19, 02:38 PM   #12
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
but I think Japanese audiences and musicians are always much more aware of Western trends than Westerners are of Japanese trends.
There's no reason to think that; it's true! Your average, or even hardcore music listener in the West won't know very many (if any) Japanese bands. For many people, the language barrier is a huge deal. I've tried to get many people into some of my favorite Japanese bands, but they cite the lyrics being in Japanese as a reason they can't get into it.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.19, 04:06 PM   #13
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

All of the artists I have mentioned directly cite Western musicians as their most major influences. Some of them also cite Japanese musicians (who themselves are highly influenced by Western musicians!)
For example, Shiina Ringo w/ Asai Kenichi.
However, if you look at sales within Japan, Japanese artist always dominate. That's why, if you are looking at them in terms of market popularity/sales (which is what I thought you were asking by asking "where" they are and if they are still relevant).
And the other thing to consider is that besides Courtney Love, Shiina has never shared a stage with any of those women. But she has with all the Japanese musicians I listed.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.19, 06:01 PM   #14
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Interesting. I get what you mean, TF, about sales of NEW work being dominated by Japanese artists. But when it comes to the catalog, longevity, and influence, non-Japanese artists seem to be right up there.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.19, 06:06 PM   #15
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Interesting. I get what you mean, TF, about sales of NEW work being dominated by Japanese artists. But when it comes to the catalog, longevity, and influence, non-Japanese artists seem to be right up there.
Most of the super big western artist seem have their first decade of glory and then after that they slump into mush. Most Japanese artists on this list don't even get a decade of importance under their belt, so it's a testament to how strong (comparatively with other similar acts of yore) Ringo is going still after 15 years. I think she owes this to changing her style up so much (and as mentioned before- leaving most of the easy going radio material to Jihen for the last few years).

The main topic though was what 90s artists are still big- and while Ringo may be considered a 2000s artist for the most part, the 90s influences are highly evident in her MOST POPULAR material- as with pretty much every single Japanese artist on the list that Inseu provided.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.19 at 06:13 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.19, 07:36 PM   #16
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I've always said that Shouso Strip is basically a compilation of 90's alt rock. Sprinkle some Sonic Youth, some Nirvana, some Depeche Mode, etc.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.19, 07:56 PM   #17
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yes and no, I wouldn't really call it a compilation of 90s alt rock, that really makes it sound like a "rip off"- it still has that Ringo TM spin on it that noone else can really reach/what people love her for (to this day) too. Inspired by 90s, yes, copying it, no. Not to mention there has always been traditional Japanese sounds/inspirations in her music since the very start too.

The main difference with her then and now is that instead of borrowing from 90s rock (and quite pin-pointedly), she's borrowing from totally different inspirations (which are harder to pin/may not resonate with as many listeners- do I listen to funk/pop-jazz/musicals/Disney soundtracks normally? No. But when Ringo does it- hell yes I'll listen- for others, maybe not). Whatever it is she does, she still seems to manage to bring her own trademark sound as a whole.

It's not what you borrow from, it's what you do with it :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.19 at 08:04 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote