Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.03.03, 05:27 PM   #91
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, I can't really say I have the same problem (any more), at first, maybe- but now I always look forward to the most stripped down songs on the album. I love you is track 10, so it's hardly the second half...

I listen to Mahou Ga so damn frequently cause it still sounds fresh to me, I'm not remotely 'bored' by it yet. I can see it being a 'classic' for sure. The 'lull' toward the end eventually becomes the best part too, those songs are always the most potent and mind-blowingly 'real' to my ears- and live they're even better.

I'd say Jun Togawa dabbled in electronic stuff because of her era. She still manages to have aged wonderfully though and I find her as compelling as any modern (as in, my generation) artist. Besides, her recent shows are acoustic nowadays too.

I'm craving for Ringo to just give us a fully stripped back acoustic album... though I doubt this will happen this late in her career (and her interests seem to go for the more orchestrated -I was going to go with 'jazzy'- but it's barely that anymore either except for stuff featuring SAPS) right now- I seriously doubt this will change until Saito Neko retires or dies), just gotta stick to the second half of Ringohan for that I guess.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.03.03 at 05:33 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.03, 09:52 PM   #92
JAWofGoethe

JAWofGoethe pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
A modern Jun Togawa? Hmm, maybe in spirit only. Musically? Not so much, at least based on what I've heard from both artists. Jun has dabbled way more with electronic driven songs than Oomori has. Oomori mainly sticks to acoustic numbers, but Zettai expanded her sound more by adding a lot more instruments.
I have listened to Togawa too. In fact, she’s one of my most researched artist in the web (if I tell you the ‘Togawa Master’ below deadgrandma’s name intimidates me a bit, I think you get my feelings toward her just joking). I know this might annoy some EMFers although even for me is hard to say it: in all the aspects I can think of, Jun Togawa excels Shiina Ringo except for two (BIG TWO and no, I’m not talking about their bodies), but that’s something more appropriate for other thread. I think I understand how you feel about comparing SR and Seiko, FadedSun.

deadgrandma: I went a little shy on Oomori in my previous post; truth is I really enjoyed the personal boldness of the first album as I discovered new things with each listen (bad thing about learning curves is that they are curve). Perhaps you’re foreseeing this as a masterpiece as it can be remembered as the ‘album that started everything’/ ‘the breakthrough’/‘The Bible of’ (?) once Oomori acquires the required recognition for such pro? She’s a busy beaver, so this could happen sooner than expected (if it’s not happening already). Also, other equally alternative musicians could take advantage of her popularity to get some attention, a similar trick she used with Hashimoto Ai in a PV. I can almost imagine her recruiting an army of underground musicians to join her label!

As for the “Favorite albums of 2013” thread, I already checked it and I can only say it’s like a multivitamin pill that actually tastes like food (my list of ‘musicians to listen’ is growing almost entirely in quality; you have a great taste deadgrandma!). Now, back to music!
Old 2014.03.04, 02:55 AM   #93
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Big two...music and singing?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.05, 02:03 PM   #94
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

i have no doubts in my mind Mahou will be as classic as kzk to me, i took a like a week off from listening to it to listen zettai and missed it like hell, it sounded so fresh after putting it back on on again, but i dont think zettai will stand the test of time as as Mahou will
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.05, 02:27 PM   #95
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by hoopra View Post
i have no doubts in my mind Mahou will be as classic as kzk to me, i took a like a week off from listening to it to listen zettai and missed it like hell, it sounded so fresh after putting it back on on again, but i dont think zettai will stand the test of time as as Mahou will
I think Zettai has more of an instant gratification factor to it that Mahou doesn't have. Once you put it on you're hit with (what I think is) a great song, and it continues on a good note for a while.

I know I go on and on about this song (I love it so), but I really wish 最終公演 was close to the last song off Mahou. After I listen to it I always feel like I'm done with the album. I would be satisfied if the album ended right there, honestly.

@DG, since "I Love You" IS track 10, and there are only 4 songs after it, I would say it's definitely the latter half of the album.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.05, 11:44 PM   #96
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Big two...music and singing?
:/

I heard all the original mixes of a lot of the songs later put on ZS before I even listened to Mahou- so I was already a little biased towards it before actually listening to it. I like Mahou, but like Faded said, Zettai is so much more to easy l to listen to. If I like songs on an album the first time I hear it, I like to repeat that song, possibly not even progressing for days to the rest of the album. It took me 3 or 4 hrs to get through Zettai once where I listened to mahou straight.

mahou feels like a musical art book of renowned classical artist to me, everything in it is real impressive and great to learn from, worth keeping around, but I simply don't like everything about it. It sounds good, but I'm not in love with it.

I honestly don't go a day without listening to ZS songs if not the whole album.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.06, 03:07 AM   #97
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So, apparently, she's been playing many new songs in recent lives... Bring album 3. I can take it like a man :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.03.06 at 03:10 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.06, 11:40 AM   #98
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Hey guys, I wrote a review for Mahou Ga on Sputnik Music. If you could be so kind as to read it and give a vote if you think it was well written. If you think there's anything I should change, or edit, then please do so. DG, I know you'll disagree with me Also, you have more background on Seiko, so anything history wise that you think is wrong, please tell me.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/6...Use-The-Magic/
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.06, 05:42 PM   #99
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Just as aside, "Shin Yado" is actually "Shinjuku". Shinjuku is one of the special wards of Tokyo, think of it like the neighborhoods of London or burroughs of NYC.
I like your review, even though I don't necessarily agree. To me she is following the same path that Shiina had. Mahou is her MM, it is loudly yelling I AM HERE JAPAN and setting up her specific style and songwriting quirks. On her next album she refines her production skills and settles more into a defined groove. I hope her third album finds her wildly experimenting with production and arrangements.

Another thing got me thinking: what is the meaning of Mahou ga Tsukaenai Nara Shinitai? Tsukaenai can either mean "to not be useful" or "to not be able to use", and nara can mean "if" or "as for/pertaining to". I kind of want to translate it as "if magic can not be used, I want to die", but the overall meaning esecapes me.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.06, 05:59 PM   #100
deadgrandma

Official translation is "The child would die without magic"