Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.03.20, 08:35 PM   #41
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Do you think this will be hard to find later? I'm debating whether or not I should dump $70 just to get the blu-ray right now.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.20, 08:43 PM   #42
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Do you think this will be hard to find later? I'm debating whether or not I should dump $70 just to get the blu-ray right now.
I think you will be OK for a while, I wouldn't wait too long if you were after the special edition w/CD though, as while it isn't as limited as say, her vinyls, it will eventually sell out. You will always be able to buy the standard version of it though (DVD or Blu Ray only, standard jewel case). So yeah, it's no big rush, just the sooner the better. I would wait no longer than 3 months to be on the safe side though.
Old 2014.03.20, 09:27 PM   #43
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Technically there's 3 tiers of rarity here:
Blu-ray with bonus CD, and first-press packaging
Blu-ray with bonus CD, and second-press packaging
Blu-ray without bonus CD (there aren't different pressings for this, and it's an unlimited edition)

No matter how much time passes, you will always be able to get the blu-ray without the bonus CD.

First-press is almost sold-out at CD Japan. Other vendors might have it, but you'll never really know which pressing you're getting until you receive it, as far as bonus CD editions go, which are all limited (even the second-press). If you buy the blu-ray on its own, then there's no mystery about which pressing you've got coming to you and it doesn't matter so much which vendor you get it from, or when.

If you don't care about the bonus CD or any of the optionally extra-special packaging associated with it, then there's no rush to buy the blu-ray.
Old 2014.03.21, 12:50 AM   #44
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
-Probably best live concert video since Ultra C
That to me is high praise. Better than Ultra C would put it in the pantheon.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.21, 03:34 AM   #45
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Why you should buy it:

1. You're hardcore collector.
2. Saito Neko

Why you shouldn't buy it:

1. Overpriced (but so are other Japanese CDs/DVDs)
2. Bonus CD is audio extract from concert, so it's not really much of a bonus.
3. You hate her boyfriend.
4. Saito Neko
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.21, 04:52 AM   #46
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Audio CD isn't extracted from the blu ray... its from a different night and I can hear subtle but not so subtle differences in the performances.
Old 2014.03.21, 05:51 AM   #47
deadgrandma

Here's my final review. Hope you enjoy reading it!

So, finally, I have it. The Blu Ray release I've been waiting out for. Did it deliver all I expected? Content wise, definitely. Technically, perhaps it comes up a little short.

Let's start with the technical aspects. Presented here is a pretty gorgeous looking transfer, however, I wonder why it is upscaled to 1080p from 1080i. While this makes minimal difference (some edges have a 'ghosting' effect, faster camera pans are not as smooth as they could be), it begs to ask the question "why not just have it in native 1080i?" All the previous Jihen blu rays have been in 1080i and look fine.

The audio is a beefy 48/24 mix, and has a delicious bass track that gave my speakers a real work out. However, its a really clean bass, not one that is too overpowering. (If you experience it to be overpowering, it's time to consider getting a new sound system :-p). Instruments are all clear and the mix is very balanced. Ringo's voice sounds amazing throughout, one of the better sounding lives released. I would have liked to see it have a 96/24 to go with the rest of her blu rays after the LiVE box, but that's nitpicking.

Content wise, it's a great, understated 'classy' show ala Ringohan and Baishou Extasy. If you have Saito Neko allergies you'd best stay clear from this one cause you'll come back with hives. Yes, every song has the Neko touch, but this time it seems better 'planned out' and more subdued/less overwhelming to the overall mix. Midorin on drums is a nice touch and he manages to be tight throughout the entire show.

I love the incorporation of newer songs that we haven't heard live before. The Sanmon Gossip songs are especially welcome, and they really show how well SG is aging against the other albums, fitting right along the 'big hits'. Both songs written for Chiaki Kuriyama here are amazing in these versions. My top picks are this version of Carnation (a song that I feel is better than it's reputation, and this arrangement proves it) and her self cover of Youko Maki's Saisakizaka, the emotional peak of the entire show- Ringo seems to be tearing up throughout it.

What we are seeing here is a triumphant, happy, content Ringo who is comfortably sliding into the next stage of her life. A performance like this can only be brought by someone who is content. More than anything though, Ringo is showing us that she is very much, deeply in love. I am very happy for her.

Overall, I am more satisfied by this than any of the post Sanmon Gossip releases Ringo has to offer.

8.5/10.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.03.21 at 07:19 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.21, 01:10 PM   #48
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Thanks for the collective input, everyone. I think I'll hold off for now. I don't have much interest in the special edition and only want the regular blu-ray.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.21, 08:55 PM   #49
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

First impressions, starting with the best - from the 13th song onward it was wonderful:

> Solo piano on Onna no ko etc.
> Autotuned Kodoku no Akatsuki. (Maybe she can contribute a song to the vocaloid people?)
> A much more visually pleasing Tokai no Manner.
> Ima. (Great, as to be expected from the preview.)
> Tsukiyo no Shouzou, whose preview alone convinced me to buy this thing.
> A refreshing reappearance of Tsumi to Batsu.
> That seemingly natural coupling of Mittei Monogatari and Koroshiya Kiki Ippatsu.
> Kuki. (Pretty standard.)
> The playful strutting entrance that makes me not only mind the fact that I'm going to listen to Marunochi Sadistic again but actually lets me enjoy it due to the appropriately joyful arrangement that comes with her.
> A good closer in Saisaki-zaka.

As for everything before that, well, some of it I could have lived without, but it was still fairly enjoyable:

> No amount of wizardry is ever going to convince me Tsugou no Ii Karada can ever be good.
> IT WAS YOU... didn't really offer anything that would make me prefer it over the meat locker version. Still fine I guess.
> Carnation's grown on me, and Karisome Otome was a nice surprise.
> Great choice to wrap the core of Yokushitsu in some La salle de bain-esque flourishes and trappings, then go a bit uptempo near the end.
> Really loved how they handled uh... Netsuai Hakkakuchuu (sp?) except for the part where the heavy "wubs" used to be; I was hoping they would keep the spirit of that part intact somehow.
> Futaribocchi Jikan was alright. Not memorable. Same with Irokoizata.
> Irohanihoheto was probably the best thing from the first half of the performance.
> This Oishii Kisetsu was better than the Bon Voyage version, but it was still missing a little something. Feel like this song can't ever reach "awesome" without a bit of guitar.
> Shun should probably get lumped in with the second half's Cinderella run of consecutive stellar performances but for me it worked as a bit of rest and recovery from the ups and downs of the previous songs.

Also, should I ever need a strange yet classy get-up for Halloween, I'm definitely taking a page out of the stylebook of the accordion guy.

EDIT: wow, forgot MY FOOLISH HEART, always been on the fence with liking both studio versions, but this live was great because there was no room for it to be obnoxious or repetitive

Last edited by Positron : 2014.03.22 at 11:01 AM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.22, 03:36 AM   #50
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Those subdued, nasally la-la-la-la's in MY FOOLISH HEART are sexy as hell.
I prefer the Bon Voyage version of Oishii Kisetsu for its more dramatic flow, but this new version certainly wasn't disappointing.
HZM couldn't have done Ona no Ko wa Dare demo much more justice. Somebody give this pianist a fucking medal.
Tsukiyo no Shouzou gave me the tingles (as did the bridge in Irohanihoheto).
Marunouchi Sadistic as it should be: a piano, a melodica, and no guitars or strings. When's the last time that ever happened?!

Also just want to say this is the best recording/mix I've heard from a Shiina Ringo concert so far. The bass is just right on my studio monitors, which have flat frequency response (±1.5 dB) all the way down to 39 Hz before any rolloff. The harp and accordion also come through crystal clear, and Shiina Ringo's vocals are at least as clear here as in any studio album. The highs have a very minimal amount of the live hiss/feedback/etc.. I don't really care that it isn't 96kHz this time. The 24bit is what matters, and there's no denying its inclusion when you listen to this blu-ray losslessly.