Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.11.02, 12:09 PM   #91
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Gips is fine. Don't nu it up.
Old 2013.11.02, 12:45 PM   #92
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Gips needs fixing. Never heard a version of that song that I like.
What...

Just because you don't like a song doesn't mean it's need to be fixed.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.02, 04:08 PM   #93
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I don't want to turn this into a "Gips" thread, because I've had this conversation several time already.
But yeah, I think me not liking something is cause enough for me wanting it to be something that I can like (through the means of a re-arrangement?) The problem with Gips is that there is enough there for me to like but it is covered by some really poor decisions.

What does that even mean? Just because I don't like something doesn't mean to it needs to be fixed. Does that mean, if I don't like something, I should just shut up about it, instead of desiring a version that I would like? I didn't bring it up, it came up in the conversation. But honestly, I'm allowed to be critical. I know I say many negative things, but I have had nothing but positive thoughts about this new song.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.02, 04:08 PM   #94
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Gips is fine. Don't nu it up.
Nu died with Jihen, entering NEO phase :-p

Now back to 10th anniversary theme: there's only 10 days till wallet beating time...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.11.02 at 04:18 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.02, 09:15 PM   #95
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Tried "It Was You" again today, now I think it's similar to this:

Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.02, 10:37 PM   #96
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by milk View Post
Are you allowed up close to shake her hand or give her a hug? Maybe a hi-five? That would be... \(O_o)/
Just to clarify, I said "It doesn't say she'll appear in person though, at least not in the website blurb" and I never once thought she would be there in person. And she wasn't. There were no posters for sale either. What there were, were free small flyers with the image on it (maybe 8in x 5in). I picked up 5. It was pretty disappointing..
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.03, 11:38 AM   #97
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

That new song came out of no where! I love it, though. Shiina looks very different these days, and dare I say much better? It's like she's aging backwards.

Are we all in agreement that the song is cut off? It's a shame they didn't post the whole video.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.03, 12:40 PM   #98
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

That baroque(?) harpsichord playing style must be her new talent. This is the second song she's used it on.

I'd love to hear a rockish-popish take on chamber music, Ringo style. One full album of it, pleazu.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.03, 02:07 PM   #99
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
That baroque(?) harpsichord playing style must be her new talent. This is the second song she's used it on.
Probably an old talent considering how long she took piano lessons as a child. Good choice for this song considering the string quartet (and it gives up an "In My Life" vibe).
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.03, 03:04 PM   #100
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

〈名は体を表す〉と言うが、つくづく言い得て妙なタイトルに膝を打つ。思えばその音楽は勿論のこと、
一流の勘の良さと語彙から生まれるこうしたネーミングセンスもまた、15年間も我々の心を揺さぶり続けてきた彼女が具有する魅力の一片だったとあらためて気付く。
 宇野亜喜良の蠱惑的なイラストレーションがジャケットを彩るこの『浮き名』と『蜜月抄』は、デビュー15周年を迎えた椎名林檎が発表する、互いに異なるコンセプトを持ったベストアルバムだ。
 まず『浮き名』は椎名がこれまでに客演という形で“男性”アーティストと奏でた楽曲から、彼女自身が選び抜いた14曲(ボーナス・トラックを含む)と、 新たにレコーディングされた2曲から成る、〈椎名林檎篇〉名義によるコラボレーション・ベスト・アルバムである。
 クレジットからも一目瞭然の通り、浮き名を流した男たちはいずれ劣らぬ才覚の持ち主だ。逢瀬の時期はデビュー年の1998年から今年2013年までと 15年間を跨ぐ格好となっており、手合わせの作法もボーカル、鍵盤、コーラスに作編曲と猫の目のように変わっている。
「(コラボレーションとは)実地の出会い頭、たったの一瞬、たったの一音で、相手の生まれた起源までをも遡る神秘的な体験。口では言い表せないほどの大きな悦を覚えられる、特別な瞬間です」 (椎名)
 さらに新曲である。「IT WAS YOU」は、アメリカン・ポップスの巨人、バート・バカラックからの提供曲だ。RISING SUN ROCK FESTIVAL 2008 IN EZOで披露されて以来、ファンの間では長らくレコーディングが待ち望まれていた。そしてアルバム同様意味深なタイトルの「熱愛発覚中」は、当代一のサウ ンドメイカーである中田ヤスタカ(CAPSULE)が編曲を手掛けている。本作の“2013年感”を担うかの如く、両者のエレクトロマナーがキッチュで キュートな火花を散らすポップナンバーである。
 一方の『蜜月抄』は、やはりデビュー初期にあたる2000年から2008年までの実演から厳選された珠玉の14テイクと、2009年放送のNHK 『SONGS』における2テイクから成るライブ・ベスト・アルバムである。蜜月とはつまりハネムーンである。自ら実演を行いファンと触れ合う時間を、空間 を、椎名がどのように捉えているのかをこの上無く物語っているタイトルではないか。
 パンクの攻撃性とオルタナティヴ・ロックの構造を持った初期のラウドなバンドサウンドや、楽曲の持つ普遍的なメロディが際立つアコースティック形態に、 ストリングスをフィーチャーした美しく荘厳なアレンジと、多種多様なアプローチで繰り広げられる代表曲が我々を魅了する。しかしながら本作の成り立ちには 或るエピソードがある。そもそも椎名は映像を含まない、いわゆる音源のみのライブ盤に意義を見出せずにいたというのだ。たしかに椎名名義のライブ盤と言え ば、『絶頂集』(2000年)のみだった。
 「音だけで楽しむなんて、皆さんの感受性に頼りきりになるような気がして、落ち着かなかったんです。でもありがたいことに、初期のライブからマルチ(ト ラックレコーダー)を回してくださっていたそうなので、せっかくですもの、やはり一度は形に残しておかないと勿体無いよなあと思い直した次第です」(椎 名)
 彼女はこう語っているが、果たしてビジュアルを排した音源のみの本作からは、彼女の縦横無尽な音楽性とその成長が、むしろ映像作品よりも明確に立ち上ってくる。
 いずれの作品もまだまだ多くの聴きどころに溢れていて、この紙幅ではとても説明し切れないのだが、その辺りは初回限定生産盤のブックレットに掲載され る、椎名が語り下ろした各12,000字に及ぶロングインタビューにバトンを託したい(テキストは本稿筆者が担当)。初めて語られるエピソードも数多く、 2作品/計24,000字分を併せて読めば、椎名が歩んだ15年の足跡から、延いては現在の彼女が見据えている理想までを読み取ることが出来るはずだ。
 少女から淑女へと成長を遂げた椎名林檎の15年。その一端を収めた『浮き名』と『蜜月抄』は、リスナーに深い感動をもたらす目くるめく悦と魅惑の記録で あると同時に、彼女という音楽家が出自から持ち得ていた破格のポテンシャルを窺い知る上で、第一級の資料的価値を備えた作品と言えるだろう。
(内田正樹)
(※追記)上記2作のリリースと同日、椎名の既発ライブ作品とビデオクリップ集が一挙Blu-ray化される。特に8枚組Blu-ray BOX『LiVE』には、初の全国ツアー「先攻エクスタシー」(※『蜜月抄』には音源未収録)から1994年4月9日・渋谷クラブクアトロの模様を収めた ドキュメント映像のディスクが収録される。この初々しくも毒々しい、パンキッシュな魅力を放つ椎名の勇姿は一見の価値がある。

Anyone care to do proper translation? I know there's a lot there...