Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.10.27, 02:45 PM   #251
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

No, I wanted it to be styled after Dave McKean, like the original cover art. Watch Mirrormask. That's what I wanted it to look like.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 03:54 PM   #252
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
No, I wanted it to be styled after Dave McKean, like the original cover art. Watch Mirrormask. That's what I wanted it to look like.
I've seen Mirrormask, not a fan.

the original artwork would not work very well in a full length motion picture. as an independent short, sure, but certainly not for the way they filmed it.

I think the fact that the entire movie was shot in stills is incredible. the alternative would have been hand animation in a style that is similar, but it would have come off very cheap. the textures and life in the final version is just insane.

I also don't think you need to be dark to be "dark." truly disturbing material will shine through no matter how you paint it over, hence the reaction it got from some of the audience and critics. I know that that may not satisfy the small percentage of too-cool for school goth kids, waiting for the next Burton film, but Coraline, THE FILM, not the book, was Henry Selick's baby (as was Nightmare Before Christmas, much to most people's surprise. Burton was only responsible for the concept).
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 05:10 PM   #253
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

I was really against the look/idea of the Coraline movie because I had read the book when it had initially come out. So when I saw some of the stills, I was all "OH THAT IS SOOOOO NOT WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE!!!/obnoxious elitism whatever." Like, I felt REALLY disappointed, but the previews magically changed that, and I warmed up to the idea of going to see it.

In the end, I thought that the movie was DAMN GOOD. The work that went into it is incredible and kind of overwhelming to think about. Stop-motion animation is no easy feat and is very time-consuming. Overall, I was very pleased with how it came out. It had beautiful visuals/music/blah blah blah, and I still thought it was creepy.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 08:33 PM   #254
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

I was actually very much the same way. I initially thought that the movie was going to be horrible. Blue hair? 11 or 12 years old instead of 9? They're adding a random character? It was too weird for me. And Coraline is one of my very favorite books, so of course I was going to be critical.

Then it actually came out and I went to see it. I absolutely adored it. The animation was amazing, the adaptation was extremely faithful, it held a sense of vague creepiness throughout the entire movie, and it's become one of my favorite movies as well.

I'm still amazed that people still care enough to do stop-motion. The results always turn out great, but that's because thousands of man-hours are put in to make it happen. I still find it truly astonishing to think that Coraline took almost four years to make. I also find it astonishing that it managed to lose "Best Animated Feature" to Up, but that's just me. :\

Last edited by sylfi : 2011.10.27 at 08:40 PM.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.27, 11:20 PM   #255
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I watched Confessions, here it is broken down:

Boring, Boris, Boring, Boris, Slighly Interesting, Boris, Radiohead, Interesting, Killing, Boris, Boring, Interesting, Boris, Radiohead, EXPLOSION, Boris.

Well, I'm probably exaggerating on the Boris.
Old 2011.10.31, 12:17 PM   #256
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I watched Chungking Express today. It was alright. I liked the first story much better than the second. I think it was mainly because of the song California Dreamin' being used way too many times and Faye Wong's character annoying me.
Old 2011.11.08, 09:55 AM   #257
Andikki

Andikki is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
and Faye Wong's character annoying me.
I hate you!
Andikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.09, 02:50 AM   #258
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

I watched Chungking Express today. It was alright. I liked the first story much better than the second. I think it was mainly because of the song California Dreamin' being used way too many times and Faye Wong's character annoying me.
I dunno about you, or anyone else who has seen Chungking Express for that matter, but when I saw Faye Wong in that film, something about her reminded me a lot of Shiina! It was probably all that perkiness, I dunno.

I saw Drive in cinemas recently. Damn brilliant film. Quite interested in seeing the rest of Ryan Gosling's films after seeing him in this. I've been listening to the film's soundtrack like crazy - it's THAT good.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.09, 06:12 AM   #259
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

^Really been meaning to check that out. Though I have virtually zero foreknowledge as to what it's all about. Haven't even seen the trailer for it.

I'd like to take a moment to bitch about one of the defining franchises of our modern cinematic landscape. I am, of course, talking about the Saw series.

What did you think I meant?

I'll be the first person to admit that the original Saw is a pretty damn good movie. In retrospect, at least in comparison to every subsequent sequel, it's actually quite tastefully done. I think a total of maybe four people die during the course of the entire movie. And the twist! Call me short-sighted, but when I first saw it, I was pretty blown away. Okay, maybe "blown away" is a bit strong, but I at least didn't see it coming. All-in-all, it's a fairly intriguing flick for something from the gorror genre (gore/horror, yes, I just made that up).

Now on the other hand, you have every other movie in the series, which devolved into nothing but slasher/torture wankfests, with no discernible appeal other than "mutilation lol". The first film had a grand total of two traps that were extremely basic in design, and in each at least someone actually succeeds in escaping from them, during which the main focus of the plot was how each of these trapped characters react and progress. The entire film is actually character-driven, god forbid. Fuck that in the sequels though, each movie just tries its damnedest to one-up the previous in complexity and goriness, and pretty much everyone gets offed in the process in order to squeeze out any last shred of shock-value they can from an already completely desensitized audience. And every one ends with a Keyser Soze-level twist where "it was all according to keikoku lol". But it really doesn't make a difference because we don't give a shit anymore as to whether there's any real resolution or anyone gets caught. They made it all about the ride and MOAR BLOOD, the main reason films like these get laughed off in the first place. Apparently the producers hadn't heard how dumb as fuck the vast majority of the population considers paint-by-numbers slasher flicks.

I blame the production studio, for trying its damnedest to wring every last drop out of a pretty good film that should have never had any sequels in the first place. It's just a shame that in doing so by making FUCKING SEVEN more, it kinda made the first film look like shit by association.

In addendum, I've only actually seen four of the eight in the series, Saw, II, V (which I only went to see because X Japan did the ending theme and I had nothing better to do one night after getting off work) and the final one (which I watched on Netflix last night and prompted this rant).
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.09, 06:37 PM   #260
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Ooooooh, we can't be friends.

The first story is often meh to me. However much I love Takeshi Kaneshiro, it's mostly something I simply sit through to get to Tony Leung/Faye Wong <3 times.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote