Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.11.12, 07:25 PM   #281
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Yes. Nolan is a very good director who makes very good, sometimes great movies. If you didn't like Inception, I really don't know what to say.
Old 2011.11.12, 07:26 PM   #282
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

You know that shocked, exasperated emotion you get when somebody here says they prefer Variety to KZK?

I feel that way now.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.12, 07:30 PM   #283
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

LOL @ everything above.

seriously, RED? did we watch the same movie? I mean it wasn't bad but how was it unconventional or aspiring to be anything MORE than a stupid action film? I mean the film was pretty much a straight up Romancing the Stone remake for men.

you seem to really dislike Nolan for some reason. Is it that because you find him pretentious or too popular? Does it really matter?

I still stand by what I said when Inception first came out: I liked it better when it was called Paprika
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.12, 07:34 PM   #284
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The Paprika thing is fairly true. Inception is still a pretty good movie tho.

And not liking Fight Club? Seriously? I didn't even know this happened.

Also

VARIETY>KSK.

Just kidding.. or am I
Old 2011.11.12, 07:37 PM   #285
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
You know that shocked, exasperated emotion you get when somebody here says they prefer Variety to KZK?

I feel that way now.
Now you're comparing Inception to Variety? Hooooly... You know one of these has received almost universal critical acclaim. I know the average movie goer might have played up how smart Inception was, but it wasn't exactly The Expendables or Transformers level insipid.
Old 2011.11.12, 08:11 PM   #286
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

did you really just compare Inception to Variety?

maaaannnnnnn.

you seem like you have some personal axe to grind, why does it even matter? so you didn't like it, but you can hardly claim it wasn't well executed for what it was.

I want to know what you consider to be a well executed and thoughtful film. how about art? what films do you consider masterful works of art? so far all I've gotten is RED and a bunch of complaints about Nolan.

also to the forum at large, any other von Trier fans here? I want some other opinions on Melanocholia.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.12, 08:13 PM   #287
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I like Lars and I liked Melancholia a fair bit. Felt like 2 movies though... whether that was intended or not I dunno. My favourite film by him is still Breaking the Waves, and I'm also one of the weirdos that actually likes Europa.
Old 2011.11.12, 09:54 PM   #288
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Now you're comparing Inception to Variety?
Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
did you really just compare Inception to Variety?
You two ought to re-read that post.

Nolan's a'ight. I think he's pretty swell when it comes to direction (never been bothered by his action sequences), but as a writer I feel like he tries a bit too hard to "intellectualize" them. Most all of his screenplays could certainly have used another revision or two.

So, in that vein, Man of Steel will probably be awful, haha.

Also, lol Paprika. I really can't take Satoshi Kon seriously anymore. I mean, really, are there any of his films that don't end with "EVERYTHING MELTS LOL"?
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.13, 12:57 AM   #289
deadgrandma

Well, you don't have to worry about him anymore... he's a stiff :-p
Old 2011.11.13, 04:35 AM   #290
Tokyo Jihad

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
but as a writer I feel like he tries a bit too hard to "intellectualize" them. Most all of his screenplays could certainly have used another revision or two.
Is this a bad thing? Yeah he tries to intellecualize the characters/circumstances or else we'd just be watching The Expendables.

I'm not saying I think Nolan is a perfect director, but I feel like his (internet) popularity might be his only real crime here.