Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.10.02, 03:03 AM   #71
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
sometimes I feel like reading this forum is akin to taking part in a never ending penis contest...I freely admit I don't understand half of what goes on, it is a total buzz kill.
Really?
Then who would have the biggest real or perceived penis?
And by what exhibited basis, would anyone believe they had a penis worth swinging around?

Bongo passes his judgment almost exclusively on people who don't even post in this community (not necessarily because they don't post here), and even then it's nowhere near as many non-posters as he could be judging. He's only ever judged people for how (ir)responsibly they behave with how little or much they have, rather than Bongo judging people for how much they own, or how much they've donated, or how much they've posted, or where they rank on the reputation ladder. He's never put himself up on a pedestal, and he's never belittled anyone else.

So since he and I are the latest people replying to each other, and since this isn't the random or short thoughts thread, I am going to assume you are talking about me.

Let me make a few points very clear to you.

I got rid of my "Who Owns Shiina Stuff" list months ago.
I haven't asked other people how much music they own (except how many versions of HF you own - and that was to assess EMI's marketing success rather than assess or compare EMF members), and I haven't treated anyone like shit specifically because I own music which they don't, but rather I have treated two people like shit for how irresponsibly they handle the music they don't own.
I've established myself as an audio connoisseur and as somebody who also really knows their computers, but I've hardly mentioned the specific gear I own, and I've hardly asked anyone for information about themselves which I could use to look or act superior.
I haven't presumed or postured myself to be someone who knows more about Shiina Ringo than everyone else in this community, despite the booklets/books/magazines I have access to.
I haven't presumed or postured myself to be someone who cannot be challenged by other people who have facts.
And most importantly, I haven't established myself as someone who cannot in any way be disrespected as much as anyone else who follows the rules.

So where is this contest you speak of?

The common theme of my bitter remarks has never been about the size of my own metaphysical penis or my own ego. The common theme of my bitter remarks is that the majority of metaphysical penises do not have the credibility to be the size which their owners would like to believe (and often the wishful size is medium - which is still far from reality). In that regard, I have hardly targeted anyone in particular. Most of my criticisms focus on third-party stereotypes.

You as an observer I was not specifically talking to, may have decided you're an eligible third-party, being as that you are not only an Apple user, but now in hindsight (and a Search function) I can see you have defined CRT and HDTV as separate camps before (a distinction I'm alleging is common among Apple users). So you pass the litmus test, but that wasn't the aim of my remark.

I would apologize, but then that would imply I didn't actually mean anything I had said. Apple has very closely aligned themselves with LCD displays. I perceive this as a trendy business move, which most of Apple's customers are completely okay with. I don't think they/you/whoever should be okay with that, but Apple knows their own customers all-too-well.

I understand LCD is the only feasible choice in portable scenarios today. That's fine - that's not what I'm nitpicking at. I just think LCD gets a little too much home use, and that Apple has been embracing this trend rather than fighting it.

Now I could swing my dick around and manifest precisely the problem you're describing, but unfortunately some people might actually derive some kind of pleasure from that.
Old 2009.10.02, 07:37 AM   #72
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Plasma > LCD (Even the LED backlit ones). The newest plasma TVs are pretty much the same as a CRT in quality. They just don't match the input lag or the contrast ratio yet. Still much better than LCD though. They're pretty cheap too unless you go with one of the Pioneers.

I'm playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. I think I like the original NG2 more so far. NG2 is more difficult and the combat is much more satisfying with all the gore. Momiji and Ayane are fun to play as in Sigma, but they don't really add to the experience. Ayane needs to be in her own action game.

Last edited by Maou : 2009.10.02 at 07:41 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.02, 11:03 PM   #73
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Whether you go LCD or Plasma, they both carry the advantage of that you can actually lift/move them without feeling like your arms are gonna seperate from your body Though strangely my 19" CRT PC monitor weighs like twice what the 32" standard TV does??? I recall carrying it 30 yards from the car when we got it to the house and felt like I was gonna die! my legs near buckled and I had to rely on an actual adrenaline rush to charge up the six flights of stairs with it :O

I'm still playing the Uncharted Beta more than anything right now! even though the retail version will have a single player quest to go through I'd buy it solely on the strength of the online multiplayer alone (that's all you can do in the beta) never before have I been called a bitch by so many random folk online (usually after being shot with a rocket).

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2009.10.02 at 11:07 PM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.05, 09:14 AM   #74
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'm dreading having to move my 34" beast of a CRT someday. I really want to take it with me when I move next year though.

I'm gonna pick up Uncharted 2 with the Toys R Us buy 2 get 1 free deal (yay for US gamers). Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls and Marvel: UA2 is what I'll be getting. I've been waiting to play Marvel, but the stupid rental place won't ship it.
Old 2009.10.05, 12:44 PM   #75
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
One of my ongoing missions is to dispel the notion that LCD is the herald of all things new and cool - which is an especially common belief among people who take Apple gear seriously.

When somebody mentions an "HDTV", it should not automatically mean or imply LCD. Many of the earliest high definition televisions were CRTs. There even exist some CRT-based HDTVs that can display 1080p. "CRT" and "HD" are not mutually exclusive.

I would think that CRTs would have huge advantages over LCD when it comes to high definition, because some channels or programs might be offered in 1080p while others are only offered in 720p or 480p. If the lower-resolution material isn't getting upscaled, that means an LCD-based HDTV isn't always running in its native resolution. All LCD displays have one specific resolution they want to do, and if you stray away from that, they look bad because the content doesn't conform to the grid of one reserved diode for every possible pixel. Since 1080p is not fully adopted throughout all material in the world, you would want a display that could handle different resolutions. I believe plasma is the only "flat panel" that can do this (pfft - as if there's no such thing as CRTs that are at least flat on the front).

Don't spend any money on an LCD display unless you're only ever going to be looking at it from one angle, and if the screen is always going to be fed the same resolution it wants. Even then, make sure you get one that's fast.
I always thought that CRTs were the only displays without a native resolution. A quick search pulled up an article that confirms that plasma displays do have a native resolution.

From a cnet article: "Nearly every HDTV sold today is a fixed-pixel display. A fixed-pixel display is any HDTV or monitor that uses discrete pixels to produce an image, including flat-panel LCD and plasma screens as well as rear-projection microdisplays and front projectors that use DLP, LCD, or LCoS technology. We'll ignore non-fixed-pixel displays, namely direct-view CRTs, because they treat incoming resolutions differently than their fixed-pixel cousins do--since they don't use discrete pixels, their specifications are much more difficult to pin down. They're also basically extinct as a product category."

Oh, and I like Apple products but am no big LCD fan. I still use a 21" CRT. I am looking forward to laser DLP maturing and becoming cheaper because of the wide color gamut, excellent contrast ratio and saturation, lack of mechanical color wheel contraptions bla bla bla. Some Apple users actually know what they are talking about.

FWIW, all early HDTV was CRT. NHK was developing their first analog system in the late 1960's, decades before the introduction of flat panel technologies. I'm also pretty certain that LCDs don't use diodes. Applied electric fields change the optical properties of thin liquid crystal films.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.10.05 at 12:57 PM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.05, 01:27 PM   #76
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I still use a 22" CRT.
The only difference between those and the 21" CRTs, is better performance (usually higher refresh rate) with the 20 viewable inches you do get.

I've gradually worked my way up from being comfortable with 1600x1200, to being comfortable with 1792x1344, and finally to 2048x1536 (very recently). Technically I could be running 85Hz, but I don't like the way it looks on my screen at this resolution (fonts become a little blurry), so I'm running 75Hz instead.

Now if I wanted to go down to 1024x768, I could run it at 160Hz if I wanted, but nowadays that resolution (at any refresh rate) is only acceptable for people with netbooks (a totally overhyped bandwagon I'm surprised Apple hasn't gotten into yet). With all the windows I keep open at any given time, I would feel virtually claustrophobic with anything less than 1600x1200. Strangely it's the most commonly recommended resolution on 21" or 22" CRTs, too. Usually 1600x1200 at 85Hz in particular, even if the monitor can go to 100Hz at that resolution.

You're also an old school Apple user, from before their equipment became a status symbol for hipsters, and you're still running on PowerPC architecture if I recall correctly. I've got no quarrel with your kind, though I do have to ask - if you buy a newer computer in the future, is it going to be based on x86, and if so, then are you still going to have much attachment to OSX?
Old 2009.10.05, 02:38 PM   #77
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

I run at 1280x960 now. My eyes don't like tiny text anymore. I use and old 17" monitor for extra real estate. My next computer will be x86, and I will probably use OSX because it does all the things I want it to do and won't involve much of a learning curve, but that might change during the time before I actually buy something.
Old 2009.10.05, 02:56 PM   #78
Glathannus
True Final Boss

I could be delusional, but 12-point Times New Roman on 2048x1536 within 20 viewable diagonal inches, to me looks the same size you would find in many printed publications. It's not as tiny as the stock market section of a newspaper, and not quite as tiny as some paperback books, but maybe on par with the font size you'd find in a typical hardcover book. What's nicer about the hardcover books is they usually spread the font characters out much more - not just from one character to the next, but from one line to the next.

So it's like staring at a typical legal-size document, except the characters are squished closer together, and there's a lot more real estate.

I still run 1280x960 for games, if I don't have a good enough video card to play a particular game lag-free at a higher resolution.

Oh, and congrats on staying away from 5:4. Some CRT owners still haven't figured out what it is or why they shouldn't be running it.
Old 2009.10.05, 04:19 PM   #79
Denitson777

Denitson777 pleased at least somebody

Castlevania 3 for nes.
Denitson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.05, 09:01 PM   #80
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I could be delusional, but 12-point Times New Roman on 2048x1536 within 20 viewable diagonal inches, to me looks the same size you would find in many printed publications. It's not as tiny as the stock market section of a newspaper, and not quite as tiny as some paperback books, but maybe on par with the font size you'd find in a typical hardcover book. What's nicer about the hardcover books is they usually spread the font characters out much more - not just from one character to the next, but from one line to the next.

So it's like staring at a typical legal-size document, except the characters are squished closer together, and there's a lot more real estate.
Sigh. Maybe we will be able to revisit this topic when you reach the far side of 45. I am by no means old, but stuff changes. I have not experienced any retinal degeneration, but have had to come to terms with the inexorable fading of lens plasticity.

Ink and "darkness" on a phosphorescent surface are analogous, but in some ways dissimillar. Ink is just easier to read for me. A more organic, natural absence of light. A pure void, not it's pixelated equivalent.

P.S. The more I edit this, the more it sounds like goofy crap. I have never really thought about this topic before, and these initial reflections are a bit lame.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.10.05 at 09:14 PM.