Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.10.24, 05:23 PM   #1061
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I've been playing Far Cry 2 today too and really enjoying it.

More importantly, I am again in the middle of another Rock Band night (seriously... best game ever (until Rock Band 2 comes out next month)). Seriously, it's like being in a real bloody band. Tonight we've argued about the set-list multiple times, had a guy quit drumming because he's too drunk to play and complained because somebody keeps playing the same 6 songs over and over again. You know your band is in trouble when the guitarist says to the singer "If you play 'Black Hole Sun' one more time I'm going to beat you to death with a hammer-head shark"

Hammer-head shark's need to be talked about more often. They are odd...
Old 2008.10.29, 02:56 PM   #1062
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

guys, guys, a moment of silent please.

GOD just descended from the heavens.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122531701276881747.html

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.29, 03:54 PM   #1063
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Ohshitohshitohshitohshit. I honestly never thought it'd happen. I eagerly await details. I'm hoping for a Beatles edition of the game, but a best of DLC would be fantastic too.
Old 2008.10.29, 04:26 PM   #1064
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

That is great news, not just because it would be a great addition to the repertoire, it would also help bury Guitar Hero.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.30, 06:12 AM   #1065
Inaudible-Whisper

Live blog of the Beatles/Rock Band event. It's only just begun, I'll update live here and comment when necessary, although I'm probably talking to myself because there's not many people online;

"7:10 -- Jeff Castaneda, MTV PR whiz, takes the line, introducing MTV's Judy McGrath.
7:11 -- Alex Rigopulos of Harmonix is also on the line. There we go.
7:12 -- McGrath is talking up the success of Rock Band 2. Calling today's partnership the "boldest move yet" for Rock Band."

Shit, it looks like this mightn't even have the Rock Band branding (though I'm sure it'll play similarly):

7:13 -- Van Toffler, president of MTV Music and Logo group, takes the mic. "Today, we're announcing an exclusive partnership with Apple Corps, MTV Games, and Harmonix to create a brand new video game featuring the music of the Beatles." Emphasis mine: So, this is a brand new game, eh?
7:14 -- Talking about how fans will be able to experience Beatles music in an "interactive, new way." Giles Martin, son of George Martin, to serve as music producer on the project.

7:16 -- Actually, it's Jeff Jones, CEO of Apple Corps, talking next. "In MTV and Harmonix, we see partners who admire the Beatles and Apple's original spirit and vision." Talking about introducing Beatles to new generation of fans and giving existing Beatles fans a new interactive way to experience the music. Giles Martin, he says, will "bring the same passion" to the development of the videogame as he did the Beatles Love soundtrack and show. And he's on the call today.

7:17 -- Alex picks up. "This is not just a Rock Band expansion pack, it is much much more than that." A "ground-up" project, a journey through the band's imagery and how the band evolved through their time together. This is a tall order.

Holy shit!

7:18 -- Q&A starts. First question -- it's not a "Rock Band" branded title, says Rigopulos. Will be released holiday of next year.
7:22 -- Game will take us all the way through the Beatles' first album "Please Please Me" all the way to "Abbey Road."

7:23 -- The music will be based on the UK releases. Martin says: "We are trying to keep to, as much as possible, is for people to play the songs as though they're playing the originals... More of a way for them to interact with what they know very well as opposed to us remixing as we did in Love."
7:24 --Rigopulos: "A visual exploration of the Beatles' history is a big part of this project."

7:27 -- Talks between Harmonix and Apple Corps started 17 months ago, says Rigopulos.

7:28 -- Press release just went out, check out these quotes:
"The project is a fun idea which broadens the appeal of The Beatles and their music. I like people having the opportunity to get to know the music from the inside out," Sir Paul McCartney said.

"It gives me great pleasure to be part of The Beatles / Apple and Harmonix / Rock Band partnership,” said Ringo Starr. “The Beatles continue to evolve with the passing of time and how wonderful that The Beatles’ legacy will find its natural progression into the 21st century through the computerized world we live in. Let the games commence.”

“It’s cool. I love it and hope it will keep inspiring and encouraging the young generation for many decades,” said Yoko Ono Lennon.

"People are having so much fun playing Rock Band. Combined with The Beatles tracks, it is a great way to either listen or participate,” said Olivia Harrison. “If you like the music, it doesn't take much persuasion to get you to play."

7:29 -- Those four people will be involved "every step of the way creatively and musically." Apparently they've all seen the game running already.

7:30 -- This shit be exclusive, says an MTV exec (I am paraphrasing.) No Beatles in Guitar Hero, guys.

lol

7:36 -- Why not call the game "Beatles Rock Band?" Because they're going into new creative territory, says Alex. "new creative exploration of their music and a celebration of their legacy... deserves a fully dedicated title."

Basically, it will sell more copies if it's called "The Beatles: The Game".

7:37 -- "Game takes advantage of the Rock Band platform in many ways that we'll discuss down the road."

7:38 -- Last question. It'll be a worldwide release, no specific date. Not talking specific songs, but they want to address the entire catalog of the Beatles.
7:39 -- They're going to address the question of digital distribution of Beatles catalog. "All I can say is that we're still working out the details, we have no announcement to make, no date or any information," says Jeff Jones.
7:40 - It's over!
Old 2008.10.30, 08:09 AM   #1066
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Best info in all of this wall of text:

Worldwide release

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.30, 08:46 AM   #1067
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Fallout 3: Yay or nay?

I bought Persona 4 in Tokyo, but still can't play it until I get home.
Old 2008.10.30, 03:17 PM   #1068
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

Fallout 3 is very good and more like 2 than I imagined with all this FPS look.
Old 2008.11.03, 04:42 AM   #1069
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Almost at the end of Mother 3. Such an impressive game, Itoi is great <3
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.03, 09:03 AM   #1070
Inaudible-Whisper

The Gears 2 reviews are rolling in. I'll do a round-up considering it's my biggest want of the holiday season, and I know at least golem is getting it...

X360 Magazine - 10/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
GameSpy - 5/5
Videogamer - 10/10
1up - A
Team Xbox - 98%
Gameplayer - 9.5/10
Gametrailers - 9.5/10
IGN - 9.5/10
Eurogamer - 9/10

Some choice quotes:

A masterclass in design. Brutal, epic, beautiful and harrowing in equal measure, Gears Of War 2 announces Epic’s reign as the king of the action videogame. Absolutely essential.
While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time.
Arguably the greatest action game ever created. In a year full of incredible games, Gears of War 2 sits triumphantly at the very top.
Gears 2 is not just the most exhilarating game you'll play this year, but possibly the most heady and downright shocking piece of entertainment full stop.
Gears 2 is a lesson in masterful pacing; whether it’s lulling you into a false sense of security, dropping you into an inescapable situation, or blowing your hair back with a ‘speeder bike’ vehicle section. It’s a ripping good yarn that is continually one-upping itself by belting you upside the head with yet another over the top action sequence that eclipses the last awesome thing you just did.