Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.10.30, 12:31 PM   #21
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I have nothing to lose by watching Wall*E 'late', on DVD. 4:3 and 16:9 editions of the DVD/Blu-Ray will have the same total amount of vertical/peripheral vision because Pixar is batshit crazy about adding or subtracting detail to make each version equal. So I could watch 4:3 with VLC overlays & deinterlacing, on my super-awesome monitor, and enjoy it with my good speakers just as much as anyone would enjoy staring at a big 16:9 screen from further away.
Old 2008.10.30, 04:10 PM   #22
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Wall-E was cute, but I wouldn't say that it's the best movie so far this year. The Dark Knight beats it imo, and there's at least another movie I enjoyed more (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, although I doubt it would get a nomination).
However, I'm all for Wall-E breaking the "animation category" barrier to compete in the Best movie category.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.31, 11:54 AM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Third best in your book is still pretty good =p I don't think anyone can (or should) try justifying Dark Knight vs. Wall-e, but I'm sure most will agree these two are superb mainstream movies of the year/ever.

Back to Shinji, I'm not saying mainstream movies should be considered superior to arty-farty movies. I'm saying arty-farty movies shouldn't automatically be considered superior to mainstream movies.

An arty-farty movie would be any super-dirgey period piece, any Oscar nominated Keira Knightley movie, or most Cohen Brother movies (tho i'm thinking more along the lines of Hudsucker Proxy and Raising Arizona; I like these movies so i'm not saying all arty-farty movies automatically suck tho)
I thought No Country for Old Men was boring as SHIT tho.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.10.31 at 12:45 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.31, 12:26 PM   #24
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

^ O come on now, I liked Pride and Prejudice.

I still haven`t seen Wall-E. I know I`ll love it, like all Pixar cartoons, but I just never feel like putting myself through a 2 hour cartoon where the main hero/creature/abomination of nature barely speaks.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.31, 12:44 PM   #25
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

They speak alot tho, its just not necessarily dialog. Actions speak louder than words :eng101:

And like I said, I don't mean they're necessarily bad. I have been meaning to see Atonement, but keep missing it.
Old 2008.10.31, 01:06 PM   #26
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
They speak alot tho, its just not necessarily dialog. Actions speak louder than words :eng101:

And like I said, I don't mean they're necessarily bad. I have been meaning to see Atonement, but keep missing it.
Atonement is a good film, it looks (visually) like an Oscar winner but doesn't really belong there. Your enjoyment will depend on how you connect with the main characters.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.31, 03:08 PM   #27
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Yep, Atonement is great. Tho I can't say Keira really helped it, it's more the movie itself.
Thanks for clarifying your opinion Jihad, I can say I agree with it now
I still haven't watched No Country for Old Man, nor There Will Be Blood, but from what my friends told me, they are terrible.
I don't know, I really wasn't looking forward to the Cohen's movie, because I just don't like Cohen movies, but after watching Burn After Reading... I'm tempted to watch NCfOM. Seriously, Burn After Reading, from my short memory span, is the best 2008 movie I saw, yet. I was really surprised at how good it was.

I hope I can watch Wall-E and Dark Knight on their release year...

EDIT: Oh, good thing I vote every time I watch I movie. Here you can see the list of votes, ordered by year, and it seems I only watched 3 good 2008 movies. Don't think too much about my rating system... The main rule is "Would it be painful to see it again?", then I think a bit about their "value for me", and then I give stars accordingly. And yes, I totally enjoyed Indiana Jones 4 and I'm such a fanboy.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2008.10.31 at 03:16 PM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.02, 08:01 AM   #28
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

WallE still hasn't even been released into the cinema here yet! Maybe I'll be able to watch it come December.
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.26, 08:31 AM   #29
Masuku

Masuku pleased at least somebody

When I first went to watch WALL-E at theaters last year, it was shown around 2pm, so it was aimed for kids and their parents. And it really isn't a movie for kids as stated here before.
I was able to enjoy of the movie perfectly, even if I could easily hear the dads and moms behind me explaining what's going on, and kids keep on asking the same things.
Too bad I don't own big white screen in my home to watch that movie, because it doesn't get justice on the small tv screen.

Well obviously I own the DVD now.

I guess there won't be coming a movie for a while which will beat WALL-E
The Oscar nominations were published last week and if i remember WALL-E got 3 or 5.. and seriously, it really haves the chances to win those all (what else WALL-E fanatic, with no sense of realism, could say?)
Masuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.05, 12:11 PM   #30
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I watched Wall-E with my son the other day. He had seen it with his grandmother and I was curious, since my one friend told me it was awesome.
I watched it and I was like...dude...this is adorable and the effects of ppl living their lazy lives, always distracted and just seeing how ppl would be(esp since that is where we are headed) and
i just loved it
i was almost crying at parts.