Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.03.06, 10:24 AM   #1
miffunevii

miffunevii has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Default Sheena Ringo Receives Prestigious MEXT Fine Arts Award

The Fine Arts Awards were created to honor individuals who make exceptional contributions to culture and the arts and pioneer new artistic territory. Sheena Ringo has been selected to receive the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology's Award in the Popular Culture category. She is honored to receive this prestigious award following her 10th anniversary as a major-label artist. We would like to express our appreciation to you the fans whose support has made this possible.

http://www.kronekodow.com/
miffunevii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.07, 04:00 AM   #2
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

that's great! thanks for the news
in less prestigious news- Mellow was nominated for best female video in Space Shower music video awards (airing March 22nd). She's up against Namie Amuro and Utada Hikaru so I don't know about her chances...
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.07, 04:10 AM   #3
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Huh, against the "Heart Station" video?
Well, if those awards actually made sense and weren't based on fan votes, the Heart Station video would have no chance, since, comparing to the rest of the nominees, it's pretty much CRAP (and I'm supposed to be a Hikki fanboy).
"New Look" from Namie Amuro is really (really) good, and the song as well, but I totally thought "Rock Steady" would be the one nominated. Anyway, that said, as far as artistic music video quality goes, "Mellow" is, without a doubt, the best one. Let's hope it makes it

And thanks a lot for the info miffunevii!
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.07, 05:06 AM   #4
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Great piece of news! Thanks, miffunevii

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Huh, against the "Heart Station" video?
Well, if those awards actually made sense and weren't based on fan votes, the Heart Station video would have no chance, since, comparing to the rest of the nominees, it's pretty much CRAP (and I'm supposed to be a Hikki fanboy).
"New Look" from Namie Amuro is really (really) good, and the song as well, but I totally thought "Rock Steady" would be the one nominated. Anyway, that said, as far as artistic music video quality goes, "Mellow" is, without a doubt, the best one. Let's hope it makes it

And thanks a lot for the info miffunevii!
BTW, totally agreed xD. "HEART STATION" PV is horrible, and "ROCK STEADY" was the best of the "60s 70s 80s" PVs.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 03:56 PM   #5
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
"New Look" from Namie Amuro is really (really) good,
Yeah, I'm not really into her recent stuff, but I did like that one a lot.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.12, 01:53 AM   #6
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Oh, just noticed this now...

Sheena?
Old 2009.03.13, 11:40 PM   #7
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

The PUFFY single, Hiyori-hime, lists her as "Sheena Ringo." I guess she's going by that... for now.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.14, 02:13 AM   #8
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
The PUFFY single, Hiyori-hime, lists her as "Sheena Ringo." I guess she's going by that... for now.
Yeah, and other releases list her as Shéna Ringo and such... Should we keep updating the way we call her or should we establish a (valid) unchanging name?
Old 2009.03.21, 05:54 PM   #9
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

The only correct one is 椎名林檎, any other alphabetized one is bound to change because they will never be "correct". That's also why it's safer to just call her Ringo because that's rarely "misspelled" (occasional Ringö perhaps, and I think I've seen Rinngo on a jacket somewhere). And I prefer calling Ringo by her stage name/personal name, rather than her family name.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.21, 06:27 PM   #10
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

That is correct Jonny.
Only I don't think things like Shéna or Sheena make any sense, because, first of all, there is no difference between "e" or "é" or "ë" in japanese, but there is a big difference between the pronounciation of "Shena" or "Shiina" in japanese. Also "Shee" being read as "Shii" only works in english. In japanese it would be read as "Shé", as well as in portuguese (for example). The japanese pronounciation of 椎名 implies it's supposed to be read as "Shiina", and that romanization works in most languages. Be it for a english speaker or a portuguese speaker, he will always read it as a japanese person would, so I think it's the most correct way of writing it with roman letters, despite how chich Ringo would want her family name to sound.

I'm not saying this works for every romanization of japanese words, because if her name didn't have the double-I, english speakers would read/say "Shina" as "China" (the country) or "Shine" (the english word). So it wouldn't work.