Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.07.07, 05:36 AM   #11
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I was gunna post my photos of both the DVD and the 2CD (not that they're anything no one has seen or anything), but couldn't figure out how to thumbnail them.

But they're up at my blog here

Is you blog just called "BLOG"?
If so I salute you, sir.
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.07, 05:58 AM   #12
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Mr Sands View Post
Is you blog just called "BLOG"?
If so I salute you, sir.
lol... I'm so imaginative arn't I?
It's more like a 'section' of my website (www.jessemallon.com without the /blog ^^), that is more so to promote my design work. Even though the other 2 sections are a PDF download and an e-mail address.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.07, 09:29 AM   #13
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Ángel Joaquín View Post
Also,i've got a question to ask all the dearies here:

what's the DVD about?
please do not call me dearie

(I Adblocked the avatar)

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2008.07.07 at 10:25 AM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 12:11 PM   #14
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Watched this last night. Liked the segues where a pair of hands (not sure if they're Ringo's) open each album and insert the disk in a different Apple computer drive. It was funny when the hands had to struggle a bit with the Zecchoushuu set.

Video quality is okay. I would have preferred if they had remastered some of the widescreen videos like Koko de Kisu Shite to anamorphic display for HDTV's, but whatever.

Sound quality is top-notch. Thunderous. I had to lower the volume several times to keep the neighbors from throwing rocks.

The Mellow video has a great visual concept that mixes a bit of the Shuraba video (instead of red liquid flowing out of stuff, it's foam) with Le Salle le Bain (she embraces a foam figure that dissipates instead of a weird CGI sprout-man). Her appearance in this is shocking.....she has transformed herself physically as well as musically.

The overall impression is that Ringo is, or was, obsessed with her own shifting identities as a performer, and at the end of Mellow she presents herself as "naturally" as I think I've ever seen her. I don't like her lip job because I think it's a mark of vanity and insecurity, but it doesn't diminish her talent one iota.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 08:17 PM   #15
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

i agree with NIMH about the sound quality which is absolutlely fantastic.. but the video quality leaves a lot to be desired and for such a landmark release should not have been neglected!! Kono Yo No Kagiri's video is plain awful overly fuzzy to the point of unwatchable i found and the rest were a little sup par on the visual side.. i really think this should have been remastered and released on Blu-Ray.
Old 2008.07.14, 10:17 AM   #16
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I finally got this today and just watched it right now! I also liked the little clips between each PV. <33 I think they looked like Ringo's hands, but I'm not completely sure. And her sound effects were so cute! (She was saying "paka" instead of "baka," right? o_o)

It was fun watching all the old PVs again especially on the TV and I appreciated the "Koko de Kiss Shite." song again from this. After watching all of these PVs in a row, I think my favorite is "Yattsuke Shigoto."

I saw a small screenshot of the "Mellow" PV before and was surprised to see the pale colors, but now I can see how it fits the song. It would have been cool if she resang the song, though. This song is a live recording, right? I agree that this natural looking side of Ringo really is beautiful... *_* I'm so happy to see her a new video. <3333

Ahh, I dunno where to put my sticker. >_< Should I put it on my macbook??
Old 2008.07.14, 10:22 AM   #17
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

"Ahh, I dunno where to put my sticker. >_< Should I put it on my macbook??"

i put my sticker on the front door!! though it's gone now either someone objected to it and removed it or it was stolen ? either way i have no idea...?
Old 2008.07.15, 09:37 PM   #18
Shiki

Shiki is headed in the right direction

The audio is in 24bit 96Khz LPCM format, which takes up a huge chunk of disc space so I guess they had to reduce the video bitrate to fit everything.
Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.15, 11:09 PM   #19
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Originally Posted by Shiki View Post
The audio is in 24bit 96Khz LPCM format, which takes up a huge chunk of disc space so I guess they had to reduce the video bitrate to fit everything.
that's why it should have been offered on Blu-Ray.. maximum sound & picture quality
Old 2008.07.16, 12:46 AM   #20
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Shiki View Post
It's not really so much about the disk space. It's more about the throughput/bandwidth limits of The DVD Standard. Even if you only have 1 minute of content, no particular second of that can exceed a total audio/video quality of 9800kbps. When you introduce 96kHz/24bit stereo LPCM, it's using up 4608kbps of the limit. Many DVD players crash if the total audio/video quality ever consistently exceeds 8000kbps, so most studios utilize that last potential 1800kbps sparingly. This leaves 3400kbps as the safe maximum for video quality, and 5200kbps as the rare maximum. Now there is a world of difference between that, and 6000kbps as the average video quality, with 7552kbps as the safe maximum, and 9000kbps as the rare maximum.

Originally Posted by ringobingo View Post
that's why it should have been offered on Blu-Ray.. maximum sound & picture quality
The video could've been better not simply because Blu-Ray is natively high-definition or because it stores more total data, but because the bandwidth/throughput limit is higher. Even standard definition stored on Blu-Ray could have looked better with the same 96kHz/24bit sound.

We have these bandwidth limits because when a new format is being standardized, a consortium of companies decides exactly how much data the laser has to read in order to achieve 1x playback. They need to have a standard, otherwise studios can keep pushing new movies with higher bitrates, for which you'll need to continually purchase faster Blu-Ray players to keep up. The players that could actually handle every new and old movie - would never go down in price. When companies stick to an old "1x" standard, you end up with a player that never gets outdated until the entire format is outdated, and the manufacturing process gets optimized over the years so that the same amount of disc-reading and processing are cheaper to produce.