Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.09.17, 07:01 PM   #61
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'll agree RE5 was a straight action game instead of a horror game, but it doesn't matter to me because games in general aren't scary anymore. Dead Space wasn't and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories won't be either.
games can definitely still be scary. its just a matter of how you play them. have you ever played Haunting Ground? How about Rule of Rose or Fatal Frame? None of this big popular franchises are really that scary anymore. And SH:SM will probably be scary to some degree since the entire point is running away and I can't imagine that won't make you anxious.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.19, 02:48 PM   #62
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

We should have an EMF Beatles Rock Band session. Anyone up for it?
Old 2009.09.22, 09:27 PM   #63
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Playing Umineko. Well, if you can count that as something you play.
Old 2009.09.29, 02:09 PM   #64
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

zomg, Scribblenauts is awesome.
Old 2009.10.01, 09:05 PM   #65
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

After gaming on a 32" CRT with an RGB cable for the past million years and being used to the awesome picture that required no tweaking, I decided to give HD a shot! People are always telling me it's better but is it really?

So after saving up for a few weeks (which killed me as I'm useless at it) and doing a little research/asking people, I bought a 32" Full HD Samsung for £300 (usually about £370/400 but depends who you know!) anyways it's the full 1080 resolution which I know is probably useless at this screen size but who cares!

Anyways later today (when it's delivered) I'm gonna hook my PS3 up to it via the HDMI cable and if it looks worse than RGB then I am going to be more than a little let down given the hype about High Definition gaming so basically what I'm asking is does anybody here regularly play PS3 on a HD set and do they notice GENUINE improvements?

Like more pixels is one thing but if I have to play with contrast and brightness like using the crappy old SCART 2 port just to get a decent enough picture then it doesen't seem a worthwhile trade off against the no hassle plug-in-pin-sharp RGB cable!

If it's crap I'll just use it for normal TV.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.01, 09:41 PM   #66
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

One of my ongoing missions is to dispel the notion that LCD is the herald of all things new and cool - which is an especially common belief among people who take Apple gear seriously.

When somebody mentions an "HDTV", it should not automatically mean or imply LCD. Many of the earliest high definition televisions were CRTs. There even exist some CRT-based HDTVs that can display 1080p. "CRT" and "HD" are not mutually exclusive.

I would think that CRTs would have huge advantages over LCD when it comes to high definition, because some channels or programs might be offered in 1080p while others are only offered in 720p or 480p. If the lower-resolution material isn't getting upscaled, that means an LCD-based HDTV isn't always running in its native resolution. All LCD displays have one specific resolution they want to do, and if you stray away from that, they look bad because the content doesn't conform to the grid of one reserved diode for every possible pixel. Since 1080p is not fully adopted throughout all material in the world, you would want a display that could handle different resolutions. I believe plasma is the only "flat panel" that can do this (pfft - as if there's no such thing as CRTs that are at least flat on the front).

Don't spend any money on an LCD display unless you're only ever going to be looking at it from one angle, and if the screen is always going to be fed the same resolution it wants. Even then, make sure you get one that's fast.
Old 2009.10.01, 09:47 PM   #67
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'm not overly convinced myself that it's gonna be amazing hence the smallish amount spent on the set. I also have one of those HD CRT screens and it's no good at all, when you connect anything via it's HDMI cable you get an awkward wobbly part of the image on the left side of the screen which is off putting to say the least!
Old 2009.10.01, 09:58 PM   #68
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I would blame that wobbliness on the nature of HDTVs more than the nature of CRT, even if it's not a problem that comes up in LCD-based displays. You see, if it was VGA going to a CRT monitor, you could calibrate that monitor and get all the edges to line up properly. HDTVs are for consumers, and nowadays they don't want to calibrate a damn thing.

I would say the only time my living room CRT HDTV shows anything wobbly or warped on the edge of the screen, is from analog input from a PS2. I've hooked an upscaling DVD player made by Sony, to the CRT HDTV before - via HDMI, and there was nothing wrong with any of the edges of the screen.

However, this screen can only do 1080i because it was one of the earlier HDTVs. But since it is a CRT, it doesn't make 720p look bad. Someday this screen will have to go because it can't do 1080p, rather than because it is a CRT.
Old 2009.10.02, 12:59 AM   #69
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

sometimes I feel like reading this forum is akin to taking part in a never ending penis contest...I freely admit I don't understand half of what goes on, it is a total buzz kill.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.02, 02:52 AM   #70
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Well, the TV arrived and it's all set up now. I tested it using a PS3 via HDMI and ran through a few things...

01, Resident Evil Degeneration Blu-ray: Looked incredible
02, Dragonball Z avi upscaled to 1080P: Looked Great!
03, Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain (PS1 upscaled): a bit blocky looking up front but quite decent at 2 metres away :/
04, Killzone 2: Amazing
05, Standard TV (football for how it handles motion): pretty good actually! no ghosting or lag from what I could notice and the colours were accurate as well
06, I tested the viewing angle as well as in most PC LCD monitors it kinda vanishes if you go to the side: It looked great from any side of the room even at extreme angles I didn't lose brightness or clarity of picture
07, For old school I plugged the Wii in and ran Mega Man 2 : A little jaggy as it's been stretched to fill the screen but it was negligible and ran smooth and great!

I plan to see how this TV handles on PC gaming later as it also has a PC input (VGA)

All in I am rather surprised by the quality of this screen handling both High Definition and Standard Definition given how much I am pro CRT I really am happy with this screen! for the entry-level price point it's quite fantastic given the screen quality and number of connection too.

The model in question by the way is the entry-level priced 'Samsung LE32B530P7WXXU'

EDIT:
I should add that Resident Evil 5 (PS3) and the Uncharted 2 Beta look utterly awesome! I was looking hard to find this TV's weak spot and so far it's only that it's not so hot looking when watching old standard Definition stuff! My Macross 2 DVD was a right shocker in the looks department and so were a few other things too

So outside of the PS3's SD processing I don't think the set handles that source well (maybe better with newer stuff in SD over older stuff) but for gaming on this generation and all that is HD (720 upwards) this screen is a complete winner!

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2009.10.02 at 06:13 AM.