Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.04.27, 07:56 AM   #21
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Yea, now I remembered why I dont like them. I dont like the singers voice and I do not think the music is very good anyway. I'm not saying you shouldnt like them but I just think TJ or Ringo solo is WAAYYY better, not just because of personal preference but their music has so much more depth than Luna Sea's.
Hold up here. You can't be serious about Ryuichi's voice... You like Gackt and Miyavi! They are two of the worst singers in current history.

Tokyo Jihen (either version) does not have more depth than Luna Sea. No way, no how. Did you even listen to End of Sorrow? The only album Ringo's done that has more depth than a Luna Sea album is KSK. Luna Sea is about as deep a 5 piece band gets with all the guitar and vocal layering that goes on in their songs.

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Based on the first song, they sound like cheap Smiths wannabes. Shiina doesn't want to be anybody. She is herself, and unique
Well then listen to the other songs because Luna Sea is Luna Sea and unique. Off of one song I could just as easily say Ringo is a cheap Maroon 5 wannabe. It doesn't quite work that way though, now does it?

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
You just lost major points with me. Luna Sea isn't even first. As for SR not being in the top5, I guess I do understand why... but still! Phase 1 had so much potential! You gotta start listening to DO again man.

Then again, I still don't understand why you rank Bonnie Pink above SR. *miffed*
I'm just not in a SR/TJ mood right now, but right now I'm all BP. I can't explain it. Sometime I can go months without listening to a single Bonnie song, but right now I just want to listen to her Daisy EP on repeat. I'll listen to Ekimae, Yume no Ato, and Sounan if they pop up in random play, but not much else. Soon enough, I'll be back to my Electric Mole/Dynamite phase.
Old 2007.04.27, 08:43 AM   #22
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Well, if I was banished to a desert island, and could take only an iPod with the entire works of 5 pop artists, today, they would be;

in no particular order -

Shiina
Bowie
David Sylvian
John Lennon
UA
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.27, 08:59 AM   #23
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Well then listen to the other songs because Luna Sea is Luna Sea and unique. Off of one song I could just as easily say Ringo is a cheap Maroon 5 wannabe. It doesn't quite work that way though, now does it?
But there isn't a single Shiina song where I'd ever think "Geeze... what a Maroon 5 rip". Nor liken her to many other artists, actually. That sounded really like the Smiths from the Marr-esque guitars to the way the singer seemed to swoon like Morrisey. Admittedly, the other 2 songs weren't too much like The Smiths, but they still didn't do much for me. They sounded typical of JRock, certainly not unique and a bit bland. Sure, I should give them a few listens... and maybe I will. But usually with a Japanese artist, like Shiina, I'll either be blown away or like them upon first listen, or I'll know straight away that I don't. Luna Sea I didn't.
Old 2007.04.27, 09:30 AM   #24
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Luna Sea is typical of J-rock, because they are one of the defining bands of the genre itself. They're not genre breaking like SR, but they take one genre and do it really well.

I'll never recommend Anubis as an intro to Luna Sea song. I don't even listen to it that much. Mother is not a good intro to Luna Sea song either, just becase the slow tempo is not kind to people with short attention spans, but it's this kind of songs that Luna Sea does very well. End of Sorrow is a good song, but the studio version just doesn't cut it for me.

If anyone is still interested in Luna Sea, here's a 3 track sampler. It includes Rosier, I for you and In Silence. I chose these 3 tracks because they're among the most popular LS tracks that I like. So hopefully some of you will give LS a second listening and maybe your opinion will change.

fyi: the lyrics of I for you are one of the most poetic ever.
Old 2007.04.27, 09:35 AM   #25
Maou

^ So where can I find these typical J-rock bands that make songs like In Silence? I'd like to hear more.

Edit: Link removed because I was jumped. Also, I don't particularly care for Rosier.

I'm just stirring ish about Ringo/Maroon 5 because a lot of people here say the Phase 2 version of Marunouchi sounds Maroon-esque (I personally don't hear it). Of course, if I wanted to be serious about Ringo being a rip-off of anybody (even slightly), I could also say that Shiina Ringo is a Cocco rip (Gibusu, Tsuki ni, etc). There's no denying that early Ringo's grunge/rock sound is very much like Cocco's and Cocco was around before Ringo.

Anyway, this is my top 10 of the moment:

1. Luna Sea - you guys are making me rekindle my LS love affair.
2. Bonnie Pink
3. Queen
4. SRV
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
6. The Strokes
7. Tokyo Jihen Phase 1
8. FAKE?
9. Loudness
10. Shiina Ringo
Old 2007.04.27, 09:47 AM   #26
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

^ So where can I find these typical J-rock bands that make songs like In Silence? I'd like to hear more.
When I said that, I didn't mean they sounded like some other specific bands (Apart from The Smiths sounding song), I just meant that... I don't know how to put it. When looking for Japanese music, I tend to sample a song or two from a ton of artists, and a LOT of Japanese rock bands have a very similar sound. That isn't to say they have similar sounding singers, or the same riffs, but the overall 'JRock sound' that I can't really explain. I tend to avoid them, and look for more unique Japanese music, like Shiina Ringo who jumped out right away after first hearing La Salle De Bain and upon my first listen of KSK. Other artists that jumped out at me are Go!Go!, Polysics and Melt Banana. It's definitely not the sound or genre that puts me off, it's just the lack of anything unique, based on first listen. Maybe they are brilliantly written songs and I just need to give them some re-listens. After all, I love Judy and Mary and they don't really do much unique (But I needed to listen again because of how damn catchy the songs are). I'll download that sampler JustRiiingo linked too and give it a few listens.
Old 2007.04.27, 09:52 AM   #27
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

re-phrase: Luna Sea has a sound that is easily recognisable as J-rock but that doesn't mean that they are a typical (lousy) J-rock band; Luna Sea is J-rock gold, they are the epitome of J-rock, they're classic, inimitable (even though some people try damn hard to). Then again, I'm biased.

Also, I don't particularly care for Rosier.
Rosier is not in my LS top 15, but a lot of casual fans like it.

Luna Sea - you guys are making me rekindle my LS love affair.
And this is a good thing.

^ Inaudible-Whisper: Tell me what you think! Don't concentrate on their music that much first, just leave it playing and then suddenly you'll feel something in you...

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.04.27 at 09:56 AM.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.27, 09:52 AM   #28
Maou

While I'm still going off-topic, what's a good Polysics album to get? I've only got three songs (well, two since I have two versions of Black OUT Fall OUT)? I need mooore. *whines*

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
And this is a good thing.
It's reminding me that I still don't own Image or Shine.

Last edited by Maou : 2007.04.27 at 09:56 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.27, 10:02 AM   #29
Inaudible-Whisper

Luna Sea has a sound that is easily recognisable as J-rock but that doesn't mean that they are a typical (lousy) J-rock band
Yes, thats exactly what I meant. Don't think for a second that I thought they were a lousy band. I haven't listened to them enough to decided if they're good or bad, but I can decide if I like them or not. Admittedly, that other 3 song sampler has me much more interested than the previous ones.

While I'm still going off-topic, what's a good Polysics album to get? I've only got three songs (well, two since I have two versions of Black OUT Fall OUT)? I need mooore. *whines*
I have Polysics or Die!!!!, Now is the Time and Neu. I'd recommend Polysics or Die!!!! out of those to get first.
Old 2007.04.27, 10:21 AM   #30
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

1. Titian
2. Peter Paul Rubens
3. Jackson Pollock
4. Francis Bacon
5. Vincent Van Gogh

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote