Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.10.06, 06:36 PM   #61
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Okay, now that I've finally listened to the song (as well as the rest of the album), I have to say that I actually like the "la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la" going on. It's catchy. As for the rest of the singing, the English sounds almost as awkward as I expected, but Shiina Ringo might be improving.

crazy on earth is a better track than the DEATH JAZZ version of Karisome Otome, but it's debatable whether or not crazy on earth is better than Mayakashi Yasaotoko. For what crazy on earth lacks in technicality, it makes up for in catchiness. crazy on earth has a little more replay value, even if it could be argued that Mayakashi Yasaotoko is a more complex composition or has better instrumentals or better overall production values.

So far, the other main highlights on this album are QUARTZ AND CHRONOMETER, plus AFTER THE PARTY has the best saxophone solo I've heard since Mars (12th track on PLANET PIMP). Before that, it was LAST LONG (the 12th track on Pimp of The year). Why are these all 12th tracks anyway? Somehow I doubt it's a coincidence.

I mean, sure, there's STORM (3rd track on PLANET PIMP), but that's a track for horn solos in general - it's not a track you remember specifically for what the saxophone did. Or there's WORLDWIDE (3rd track on Pimp of The Year) with the most upfront saxophone-playing of any SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS track ever - but you wouldn't place it in the same league as the recent 12th tracks and proclaim that WORLDWIDE has some of the best saxophone playing. WORLDWIDE simply has the most saxophone playing. AFTER THE PARTY is a track that people will want to replay because the saxophone-playing in it is good. Sure, there's good trumpeting in it too, but that's not what people are going to remember the most about this track - just like with Mars.

If there is such a thing as a SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS track you would remember for the trumpet more than for the saxophone, it's not in this album. There's also hardly any tracks you would remember specifically for the piano either, compared to oh, say.. the oldest SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS releases. Maybe Josei got that out of his system with J.A.M . In this album, usually the saxophone is stepping up at least as much as the piano in any given track, maybe as a counterbalance. All I'm saying is, it would've been nice to have at least one piano-driven track where horns are treated more like accessories. Satsuriku to Heiwa is the closest thing this album has to a piano-driven track, except it is keyboard-driven instead, and only somewhat.

*listens to crazy in shibuya for the first time*
Why did they have to make this into an iTunes exclusive? I might have to start searching for a watermarked CD and set aside $100+ for it, if I don't want to wait 2.5 years (or the rest of my life) for this song to finally reach retail.
Old 2009.10.16, 03:40 PM   #62
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

If anyone is into the track "Stolen Moments", there's a pretty cool version by Mark Murphy and remixed by Nicola Conte here.
Old 2009.10.21, 05:56 AM   #63
TakeCake

TakeCake pleased at least somebody

I love both Shiina RIngo and SOIL&"PIMP"Sessions. So happy to see their first collab., I love this one too! Really happy to see this new album too~ Excellence. Only just saw this too! =O

Lyrics, if anyone's interested (correct anything, if there are mistakes - but I think it's pretty sound):

La la la la, la la la la
Are you feelin' a change in the air?
La la la la, la la la la
Sang a spell on you

I say, la la la la, la la la la
Clouds are gatherin' fast I hear
La la la la, la la la la
Waiting here for you

Gave you my key, man,
I'm sure gave it to you yesterday
I know you're a-comin' round here everyday
Come by, it's gonna rain

No, my doorbell don't work
You know you got to use that key
'Cause you just don't lose something you find

Well, get yourself inside! I'll make it better,
I will make the rain come down
Clouds are in the sky, awaiting a command
from an aching heart

Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do?
(Can't turn back,
you can't turn 'round)
Rain's a-comin' down
Rain's a-comin' down

La la la la, la la la la
I've been feelin' a change in my air
La la la al, la la la la
Sang a spell on you
La la la la, la la la la
Clouds are gatherin' fast I hear
La la la la, la la la la
Ain't no sign of you

When you see the rain,
do you remember?
Don't you always think of me?
Never cry no tears,
but I still got the sky crying tears for me

Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do?
Rain's a-coming down
Rain's a-coming down

Well, get yourself inside! I'll make it better,
I will make the rain come down.. Where are you?
Rain down (Can't turn back, you can't turn 'round)

Don't go.

I say, La la la la, la la la la
Ain't no tracing your steps back dear
La la la la, la la la la
Sang a spell on you

I say, la la la la, la la la la
Here's a storm for you my dear
La la la la, la la la la
I've been calling you

Last edited by TakeCake : 2009.10.21 at 06:00 AM.
TakeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.21, 12:40 PM   #64
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Welcome, TakeCake!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.21, 04:28 PM   #65
TakeCake

TakeCake pleased at least somebody

Thank you very much! Great to be here. =)
TakeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.20, 08:45 PM   #66
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

So, for lyrics all we have are ones people have made themselves, but nothing official? I have NO IDEA why uta-net and goo lyrics don't have any lyrics at all by S&P. Ugh. I would really prefer official lyrics!! raaagh. Did anyone buy this and can tell me if the booklet contains lyrics?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.31, 01:14 PM   #67
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The music is very 70's sounding, like those soul/funk soundtracks.

I kinda wish Ringo would stop hanging out with these guys, while Saitou Neko simultaneously suffers multiple strokes...
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.31, 01:20 PM   #68
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You should stop listening to Ringo completely, cause that ain't gonna happen. (Well the strokes might :-p)