Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.03.02, 03:46 AM   #81
Rhea

Rhea is headed in the right direction

^No I've never heard that version before. I wasn't even aware that there was a first press bonus CD for Zettai Shoujo! I only have the regular edition.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.02, 04:12 AM   #82
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yeah, you had to get it from Tower Records to get the bonus, and there's only a certain amount of copies (around 250) with the bonus CD too.
Old 2014.03.02, 10:15 AM   #83
Rhea

Rhea is headed in the right direction

^She has so many limited and obscure releases @__@

And speaking of releases:

Manga artist and illustartor Moto Hideyasu is starting an analog music label, and their first release is a 7 inch analog single (which I assume means an LP?) of Kimi to Eiga. The b-side is Shoujo 3-gou. The release date is March 20th.

The cover illustration is really cool, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting it. I don't have a record player, and I'm not really interested in LPs... But on the other hand, it is Seiko, and it'll probably be a cool collectible. idk

Last edited by Rhea : 2014.03.02 at 10:17 AM. Reason: accidentally posted before I was finished
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.02, 03:22 PM   #84
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'll be getting it for sho. (If I can that is...)

And that jacket cover... Totally amazing.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.03.02 at 04:18 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.02, 03:56 PM   #85
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

A picture of Audrey Kimura and Seiko Oomori. Audrey helps promote Japanese bands in America, and also heads a tour called Japan Nite that seems to happen yearly in N.America. I keep telling her to bring Seiko to America! Hopefully it happens someday. She says she would really like to. Audrey also mentioned that she's going to Seiko's show next month with Yuu from Go!Go!7188.

Name:  seikoandaudrey_zpsdbcbb27e.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  72.8 KB

Last edited by FadedSun : 2014.03.02 at 04:00 PM.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.03, 03:35 AM   #86
deadgrandma

Official Zettai Shoujo bewb shirts and posters now available:

I'd get the "B" poster... but I dunno about wearing a bewb shirt... Still, if you do like the shirt, grab 'em while they're available, cause they're limited edition.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.03.03 at 03:39 AM.
Old 2014.03.03, 08:40 AM   #87
JAWofGoethe

JAWofGoethe pleased at least somebody

Ok, I started listening to Seiko Oomori a few months ago (discovered her thanks to the forums). I have listened to Mahou Ga an a couple songs from Zettai Shoujo (plus some of what have been posted here - with my shitty internet) and so far I like her, but the way she sings is kind of a mystery.
SR’s voice isn’t quite traditional but she has largely mastered her talent. This (I feel) is something Seiko still lacks (a bit), which makes the comparisons between them flawed if not unfair and that’s something I have to keep constantly in mind so I won’t spoil my own listening experience. If Seiko’s singing from the heart, it is supposed to convey a dramatic effect which value is relative to its message.
For what I’ve seen, Oomori doesn’t have a clearly-defined philosophical stand point (or identity), thus the ‘singing from the heart’ meaning is still contrived to plain ‘basic feeling’ (assuming there could be something else behind it). If she presents herself as an ‘idol-parody’, the dramatic effect makes more sense as (at least) she opposes to the not so genuine singing of many other idols. Of course, the lyrics help too.
I remember I saw another post from someone (maybe TurtleFu?) who speculated about what Seiko was supposed to be standing for, which is somehow to be expected. In the end, the music is what’s going to stay with you, but I can never underestimate that thinking-impact many artists have like, say, Pink Floyd (ok, maybe not the best example for this thread… sorry). I can only wait and see how good she is at concept art…
And, F***! It's so exciting Oomori has her own label! Mkes me want to hear everything from her, although it also gives me the feeling she might not have started the best way. In Mahou Ga she began as a strong artist, appealing (at least to me) for her spontaneous character and disrespect to conventional songwriting, meaning she could become less-original as she involves herself more in the biz. But I guess with Seiko is more a small risk than a tendency.

Btw, TurtleFu, s3r3nity, Rhea… you are awesome! (Thanks for the invaluable translations and funny shirt pics).
Old 2014.03.03, 10:30 AM   #88
FadedSun

I'm still waiting for her to have a definitive classic album. Mahou and Zettai are both good albums, but I don't think she's hit that sweet spot yet.
Old 2014.03.03, 02:39 PM   #89
deadgrandma

^ I guarantee that Mahou Ga will be a classic album in time. Its only 1 year old right now...

@JawofGoethe: You're kinda on the right track I guess (though you're pretty much repeating what most newcomers -myself included- think of Ooomori at first- give her some REAL time dude- if you check the 'best of 2013' thread, you will see why I put Mahou Ga as my #1 album of the year), but people compare her to Ringo (and it must be pointed out that it strictly means early Ringo too) more based on her attitude than sound- it's exciting to hardcore or oldschool Ringo fans because there hasn't been anyone who shows quite the same kind of genuine approach to their music in quite a long time in Japan (even Ringo, while still making quality stuff to my ears- doesn't resonate with all oldschool fans the way she used to- which you will certainly find out first hand on EMF in due time- there'll be lots of fun arguments to get yourself stuck into in the future- starting with her 15th anniversary blu ray at the end of the Month :-p). Sure she's imperfect, but so was Ringo on Muzai Moratorium, but she had attitude that stuck- and makes the album all that much stronger for it- and in the end, it stood (and still stands) above and beyond her contemporaries- much like Oomori is doing now.

However, if we're making comparisons- she's far closer to a modern Jun Togawa than anyone else though. And if you stick around long enough, you will come to realise that I LOVE Jun Togawa- and I can quite seriously dare say I have the most complete collection of her stuff for a westener. I also have the complete Oomori set so far, and I intend to keep it that way, regardless of cost or difficultly purchasing.

As for becoming 'less original'- it's not a fear I have with her (at least, yet). If I have any fear with Oomori, is that she will probably start releasing stuff slower than she is now- which actually may be a blessing- it's fucking hard to keep up with her and her side-projects/guest appearances as it is. The fact that she is on her own label allays many fears that come with artists getting more popular too- she doesn't have anyone telling her what she has to do at the moment- and she seems to be teaming up with more 'indie/alternative' artists anyway when she does collaborate.

Speaking of the Oomori collection.

Looks like the vinyl is gonna require using deputy service... None of the vendors it is being sold at ship international... Sigh. That means a 1.000 yen product is now gonna cost 3,000 yen or so. (Unless anyone here that's in Japan is willing to help me out??? :-p) Goodo.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.03.03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 2014.03.03, 05:07 PM   #90
FadedSun

The only thing preventing Mahou from becoming a classic, for me, is that the second half of the album is largely inferior to the first. If she took out those two long songs from the second half I think the album would have flowed better. I always zone out during the middle of "I Love You" and not in the good way.

The flow and pacing of an album is something I don't think she's gotten quite right yet. Zettai suffered from two electronic tracks right at the beginning and the rest being fairly standard Oomori, with the exception of that circus-y sounding track.

A modern Jun Togawa? Hmm, maybe in spirit only. Musically? Not so much, at least based on what I've heard from both artists. Jun has dabbled way more with electronic driven songs than Oomori has. Oomori mainly sticks to acoustic numbers, but Zettai expanded her sound more by adding a lot more instruments.

I want to compare Shiina to Oomori, but I don't feel right doing it. They're too different musically. Basically, I feel that Shiina's debuts have much more staying power over Oomori's and that's why I don't think Oomori has yet to make a classic album. When I listened to MM or SS I wanted to keep listening to them over and over again, but with Mahou or Zettai I feel like I need to force the rest of the listen because they tend to drag towards the end.

Last edited by FadedSun : 2014.03.03 at 05:13 PM.