Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.01.21, 07:14 PM   #101
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
So, I actually watched Sakuran in full for the first time today to see how the HF songs were used in the film and in which order.
However, I noticed that most of the songs were in a different form than in the HF CD, and they were in the film in a different order than on the CD.
I noticed (in order) Meisai, Yume no Ato (short piano), Karisome Otome HITOCHIZUKA, Papaya Mango, Poltergeist, Sakuran, Gamble, Oiran, Yokushitsu, Kuki, Karisome Otome (in different form), Yume no Ato again, Kono Yo no Kagiri

So I missed Ishiki and Hatsukoi Shoujo. Does anybody know when those songs appear?
HF wasn't an exact soundtrack to Sakuran. Ringo stated that she wanted the music for the film to be separate and tied to the film itself, so she would never release the exact score as used in the movie, hence why the film has Kuku/Yume no Ato piano pieces and they do not appear on HF. HF was intended as a soundtrack to the film in honor and name only, several of the songs on soundtrack, as you mentioned, don't appear in the film (despite the fact that she wrote them for the film), it is similar to soundtracks that are "inspired by the motion picture," being that she wrote all that music for/inspired by the film.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.22, 08:36 AM   #102
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Ah, so Ishiki and Hatsukoi Shoujo don't actually appear? That stinks

Also, I was expecting the music to play a larger role in the film, and at most we got longer versions of Kuki and Yume no Ato, and the rest of the songs were like 30 seconds. I don't think the music was really that integral to the film.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.24, 08:15 PM   #103
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Ah, so Ishiki and Hatsukoi Shoujo don't actually appear? That stinks

Also, I was expecting the music to play a larger role in the film, and at most we got longer versions of Kuki and Yume no Ato, and the rest of the songs were like 30 seconds. I don't think the music was really that integral to the film.
Sakuran was billed as an-female power production. The manga-ka is a woman, the director was a woman, the cast features women, the music director is a woman etc etc.

as the story goes the director, who was making her feature film debut, was a fan/friend of ringo and asked her to compose the music for the film. considering it was about oiran, she probably just thought of kabukicho no jou. ringo started to write a lot of music and had a creative spurt, but that was put on the back burner when the director snuffed that candle quickly by saying she wanted older material, so ringo reworked old material to work within the context of the film. if you aren't a ringo fan the music is definitely a big selling point to the film. AS a ringo fan, and if that is the reason why you are watching, you're not going to be blown away, because the film is meant to be watched, not listened to.

its pretty saturated from beginning to end with the photographers eye and musicians ar. I've seen it multiple times and it definitely is well done. The use of Papaya Mango and Yume no Ato (especially at the end) is VERY well done. The only two pieces I don't like are the use of Gamble and Oiran. Gamble starts off awesome but then it drags and competes with the dialogue for a little too long. Oiran was just too cutesy, it felt like watching anime.
Old 2012.01.25, 12:26 AM   #104
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Sakuran was billed as an-female power production. The manga-ka is a woman, the director was a woman, the cast features women, the music director is a woman etc etc.

as the story goes the director, who was making her feature film debut, was a fan/friend of ringo and asked her to compose the music for the film. considering it was about oiran, she probably just thought of kabukicho no jou. ringo started to write a lot of music and had a creative spurt, but that was put on the back burner when the director snuffed that candle quickly by saying she wanted older material, so ringo reworked old material to work within the context of the film. if you aren't a ringo fan the music is definitely a big selling point to the film. AS a ringo fan, and if that is the reason why you are watching, you're not going to be blown away, because the film is meant to be watched, not listened to.

its pretty saturated from beginning to end with the photographers eye and musicians ar. I've seen it multiple times and it definitely is well done. The use of Papaya Mango and Yume no Ato (especially at the end) is VERY well done. The only two pieces I don't like are the use of Gamble and Oiran. Gamble starts off awesome but then it drags and competes with the dialogue for a little too long. Oiran was just too cutesy, it felt like watching anime.
The meisai opening was the most brilliant. The restrain Ringo put in her voice was marvelously done and reflects a great deal in the Japanese style of singing of the era and the quick shallow breaths suited the oiran theme. Overall her singing sounded almost like she was going into orgasm(Which turned me on).(Greatly)

Last edited by W3iHong : 2012.01.25 at 12:31 AM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.25, 07:40 AM   #105
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
The meisai opening was the most brilliant. The restrain Ringo put in her voice was marvelously done and reflects a great deal in the Japanese style of singing of the era and the quick shallow breaths suited the oiran theme. Overall her singing sounded almost like she was going into orgasm(Which turned me on).(Greatly)
I liked meisai, but I was referring specifically to the use of the song in the film as paired with the visuals/direction.
Old 2012.01.25, 02:53 PM   #106
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I liked meisai, but I was referring specifically to the use of the song in the film as paired with the visuals/direction.
I was giving an irrelevant rant about how meisai is great. My bad...

But it did work great in the movie. The beginning showed the mad oiran world. When the double bass started playing, it showed Kiyoha as a badass relaxed woman. I am failing at my use of language.

Last edited by W3iHong : 2012.01.25 at 02:57 PM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.15, 06:02 PM   #107
TurtleFu

Listening to Hatuskoi Shoujo had me notice that the haunting yet somber melody and Ringo's vocal runs would make the song perfectly suited to be played by an erhu (two erhus!?).
Alas, I do not play the erhu. But it's just a thought I had.
Old 2012.10.15, 09:08 PM   #108
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ That would be a great idea, if you are talking about replacing the wind instrument (a bassoon?) that sounds from the very beginning with an erhu. Is that what you mean?

Erhu surely has a gorgeous timber. You reminded me of this video:
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.15, 12:58 AM   #109
orphic okapi

orphic okapi is headed in the right direction

Anyone else really love the raspiness of Ringo's voice on this album? On a few songs it sounds like she smoked like three packs of cigarettes before recording. Like when she says "let's burn up this room," holy shit that part is awesome. I wish she had brought back the rasp on some of her more recent recordings.
orphic okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.15, 03:54 PM   #110
TurtleFu

Oh absolutely, one of my favorite parts of the album. It reminds me how much I love this album (it was my first full Ringo album!).
I love the jazziness, how Ringo goes all out, I love how strained her voice is during Gamble. It's so emotive and powerful.