Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.04.17, 08:24 PM   #11
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

PV

Is this some kind of official video or just a very nice fan vid?
I was quite out of the loop when that song came out, but it does look more like a fanvid.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.17, 09:54 PM   #12
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

that was the video for the song as included on the Heisei Fuuzoku Limited Edition DVD, in which every song on the album has an animation like that one included. Death Jazz Version was a bonus.

I don't get why everyone says this is the "worst song ringo has ever done." you guys all hate on this song but don't specify WHY it qualifies for that title, other than the fact that you just don't like it. personally, I like very polarized work. I like music that tends to be love it or hate it. This is easily one of my listened to Ringo tracks. Its quick, dirty, and why I love Ringo. It was featuring Soil and Pimp, not about them, so I don't really look towards their track record in relation to this release. Rather, I look at Ringo and what is going on on her end. But that is just my opinion.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 02:20 AM   #13
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Shiina Ringo could have been much better off with J.A.M. (the SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS skeleton crew). No saxophone, no trumpet, and no pimp. That would've actually been real nice.

That's kind of what she was getting into with one of her performances just before EXPO (though I don't believe Karisome Otome was among the setlist), but nobody here or elsewhere came right out and said "That's J.A.M.". It was just another stupid debate on whether "the SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS sound" was good or bad - being argued by people who haven't listened to SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS separately from Shiina Ringo (as usual).

I'm not trying to be a raging SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS fanboy here, but I don't think they've been given the proper chance by Shiina Ringo or most of her international fans. Karisome Otome should have been with J.A.M. instead of the whole band, and if they were going to perform with her on any other songs, she needed to coordinate/practice/experiment with them as much as she did with Tokyo Jihen before Electric Mole - otherwise she isn't utilizing their strengths, and you end up with an almost worst-of-both-worlds arrangement.

I don't care whether this is one of your most favorite or least favorite Shiina Ringo tracks to come along in the last few years. If it's among your highest favorites, then you don't know how good SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS really is. If it's among your least favorites, then you've probably decided to dismiss SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS by association and never hear what they are truly capable of. That's why I'm saying the comparisons with other Shiina Ringo tracks really need to stop, because people aren't being fair to SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS here.

This among the worst things the band has ever done, simply because their saxophonist and their trumpeter should be taking turns with the pianist - not with a vocalist. Remove them from the equation and you have J.A.M., which would have ended up as Shiina Ringo taking turns with their move-groovy-than-Izawa pianist. I would say the pianist got held back more than everyone else as a result, and he's one of the best jazz pianists I've heard since Keith Jarrett, so it's really quite a shame for him to be doing about as little as HZM throughout most of Dynamite Out.
Old 2009.04.18, 02:39 AM   #14
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Shiina Ringo could have been much better off with J.A.M. (the SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS skeleton crew). No saxophone, no trumpet, and no pimp. That would've actually been real nice.

That's kind of what she was getting into with one of her performances just before EXPO (though I don't believe Karisome Otome was among the setlist), but nobody here or elsewhere came right out and said "That's J.A.M.". It was just another stupid debate on whether "the SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS sound" was good or bad - being argued by people who haven't listened to SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS separately from Shiina Ringo (as usual).

I'm not trying to be a raging SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS fanboy here, but I don't think they've been given the proper chance by Shiina Ringo or most of her international fans. Karisome Otome should have been with J.A.M. instead of the whole band, and if they were going to perform with her on any other songs, she needed to coordinate/practice/experiment with them as much as she did with Tokyo Jihen before Electric Mole - otherwise she isn't utilizing their strengths, and you end up with an almost worst-of-both-worlds arrangement.

I don't care whether this is one of your most favorite or least favorite Shiina Ringo tracks to come along in the last few years. If it's among your highest favorites, then you don't know how good SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS really is. If it's among your least favorites, then you've probably decided to dismiss SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS by association and never hear what they are truly capable of. That's why I'm saying the comparisons with other Shiina Ringo tracks really need to stop, because people aren't being fair to SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS here.

This among the worst things the band has ever done, simply because their saxophonist and their trumpeter should be taking turns with the pianist - not with a vocalist. Remove them from the equation and you have J.A.M., which would have ended up as Shiina Ringo taking turns with their move-groovy-than-Izawa pianist. I would say the pianist got held back more than everyone else as a result, and he's one of the best jazz pianists I've heard since Keith Jarrett, so it's really quite a shame for him to be doing about as little as HZM throughout most of Dynamite Out.
the horns make the song for me, really. the wail ringo sings is kind of equivalent to a wail of a horn at times, especially on this song. it just feels so cheap and brassy, it suits the over image and aesthetic of the song for me. if it was piano it would still be jazzy, but I don't know if I would like it as much. I'm not a S.P.S. fan and I've seen them live twice and overall I wasn't super impressed, I guess I'm just not into that type of music more often than not (I couldn't get into PE'Z either) so I suppose that says something about my taste as well.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 02:40 AM   #15
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Ringo performed "Karisome Otome (DEATH JAZZ ver.)" during the S&PS performance at last year's SotC2, if that's what you were mentioning Glath.
It's funny that I remember liking that performance, but I don't really remember it anymore nor do I remember why. I have to check it again.

As for the reasons which make me not like this song much, I already mentioned the "One Time, Two Time, Three Time" thing and now that Glath mentions the sax and the trumpet I believe that's really the problem.
Also, as I said before, I don't think the up-tempo and crazy/festive mood of the song really fits the lyrics. And having a better version of the song (HF) available, it's really hard not to prefer one over the other.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 08:40 AM   #16
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I don't generally hate the horns of SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS. I just don't think the horns should ever have to take turns with a vocalist - if they have to take turns with any other role(s) at all.

This is what happens when there isn't a vocalist. This is what they're really made of.
Listen before you speak any further:

SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS - STORM

Now what does STORM have that this controversial Shiina Ringo track doesn't?

Momentum. Atmosphere. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to listen to "DEATH JAZZ", I'd rather hear fulltime instrumentals like these instead of a vocalist. There's no way to fit vocals into there and have the instrumentals still remain at least half as serious. This track lost so much more for SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS than how much it gained from Shiina Ringo. With how crippled SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS were for this track, there is hardly anything more to lose if it's re-recorded for Sanmon Gossip without them.
Old 2009.04.18, 11:37 AM   #17
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
There's no way to fit vocals into there and have the instrumentals still remain at least half as serious.
I totally agree with you, and hey, I think you made one S&"P"S fan
Old 2009.04.18, 03:40 PM   #18
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Not all SAPS stuff are busy and noisy. They also have quieter stuff like...

Waltz for Goddess

*the video is funny, no?
Old 2009.04.19, 07:46 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Ok, I relent that Death Jazz isnt "an attack on anyone born with ears" as I previously (meant to) advertised. I think its because now I am more familiar with the (HF ver of the) song and know what to expect. (oh, the "one time" shit is TJ-esque BS.)

Now my gripe will be that an approaching 3 year old song is going to be on the album.
Old 2009.05.10, 03:38 AM   #20
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Ok, I relent that Death Jazz is "an attack on anyone born with ears"
Telling lies is not good, so I fixed your typo. No need to thank =)