Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Sanmon Gossip overall?
Positive. / I liked it. 89 90.82%
Negative. / I didn't like it. 9 9.18%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009.07.01, 02:57 PM   #41
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by NCORE View Post
It was Uki, he wanted her to not be herself anymore.
at this point, i don't think anyone, including ringo, knows who "herself" was. wasn't there that talk just a couple of days ago of her saying how she was unhappy during the early years and wasn't sure of what she was doing?

i wonder if we ever have one "self". i know we have a temperament that's our own, but as to who we are, are we rock, are we jazz, that seems to change as we go. especially for artists. if there's one thing you can say ringo always had, it was pop. her songs were rock in sound, but the melodies could be straight pop songs for the most part. that's why she was so famous and continues to be famous. everything else around it just changed as she changed, she still has that same core.

you could say that there are artists that "stayed true" to themselves, but unless they just refused to grow, their work changed. take john lennon, for example. everyone knew he was a blues/rock man, etc. etc., but when he went solo, save for the cover album, he wasn't doing those rock songs as you would have imagined. paul wasn't holding down that side of him or anyone. he was doing a bunch of songs on piano, trying some different sounds, it's definitely not a beatle sound. when i first heard it, it did not sound at all like what i expected. but there was one constant, and that was the way he wrote the songs. most of them could have probably been beatles songs if they arranged it that way. just listen to "real love". there's the demo on piano which could have been just like any of his solo songs and then there's the beatle arranged one on the anthology.

his style for songwriting stayed. and, similar to ringo, you can argue that his later works were not as good as his earlier ones. seems to be the case for most people once you make your magnum opus and still keep making music (sgt peppers and KZK).
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 03:01 PM   #42
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
i wonder if we ever have one "self".
What. the. Christ.
Old 2009.07.01, 03:04 PM   #43
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Here we go again! Another year of this!

(This would partly be resolved if we had access to her interviews)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 03:10 PM   #44
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
What. the. Christ.
ok, let me elaborate. i've been thinking about this a lot this past year or so because of seeing how artists i like have grown and what people say about their youth etc. wondering about things like what i will be like in the future and how will i look back at myself now.

and a question comes up about who will you be able to say i am when it's all said and done. if i was more successful as a youth, will that have been the real me? if i try different things as i get older that don't work out, will those just be failed experiments? and aside from artistic endeavors, will who i really am be the one that dies, the one that has experienced so much more than the me that i am now?

for someone to say that ringo was keeping it real back in the day kind of negates who she is now. if her music changed because of her different viewpoint in life from an older age, does that mean she's not who she was before? and regarding myself, will i be only the guy from the 20-30s and the old-aged me just be a leftover of my prime?

in the end, though, i guess you are just who you are at that whatever point. and through that, i assume the most you carry your whole life is a temperament, a way of being (and even that might mellow out or get worse), that is you and everything else about your identity will always be in flux. so, to say someone was not being themselves in comparison to another time in their life just doesn't make sense to me. you can't look at ringo's life up to now and say that she was more herself at one point than another. of course, people do go through "phases", where they do things they normally wouldnt do because of peer pressure or other things, and that may be true about uki's influence, but that doesn't mean the real ringo is grungy rock ringo.
Old 2009.07.01, 03:12 PM   #45
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Shiina just needs to do that Togatta Teguchi album. That should be her next step. Or a really traditional Japanese album. Or an avant garde Morning Musume style album.
Avant garde Morning Musume. I imagine something neo-Futurist. Cute teenage girls with strange angular cardboard boxes covering their heads, shuffling robotically on stage while singing about the cuteness of the latest generation of lithium-polymer energy cells.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.07.01 at 03:38 PM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 03:14 PM   #46
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

ok, let me elaborate.
If this was your first thought after reading my reply, you could not have missed the point any more.
Old 2009.07.01, 03:18 PM   #47
HEDOfloe

i thought you were being facetious as you always are but i also thought that maybe i did say something that i should have elaborated on.
Old 2009.07.01, 03:20 PM   #48
Tokyo Jihad

thaat didnt need clarifying either...
ssshh this is an experiment
Old 2009.07.02, 03:39 AM   #49
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Hey, it's 66-6 for the album. This poll is evil.

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Or an avant garde Morning Musume style album.
I might just quit following her if that ever happens.

Besides, no one can beat 4th Ikimasshoi / Maki Goto supergroup era. They were like the Wu-Tang Clan of cheesy girl-group Tsunku x Dance Man songs back then. In fact, Morning Musume now is like Wu-Tang Clan now - the heart of the group died out long ago, you've got like one or two good people hanging on like a vestigial protrusion, and U-God / Mitsui Aika sucks.

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe and Tokyo Jihad
back and forth banter
<3
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.02, 05:53 AM   #50
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

ok, let me elaborate. i've been thinking about this a lot this past year or so because of seeing how artists i like have grown and what people say about their youth etc. wondering about things like what i will be like in the future and how will i look back at myself now.

and a question comes up about who will you be able to say i am when it's all said and done. if i was more successful as a youth, will that have been the real me? if i try different things as i get older that don't work out, will those just be failed experiments? and aside from artistic endeavors, will who i really am be the one that dies, the one that has experienced so much more than the me that i am now?
I for one completely agree with your words. If someone had told me 5 years ago, that I would be doing the things I am doing now, hearing the things I am hearing now, saying the things I am saying now, and writing the music I am writing now, I would never have believed it.

Having realised this, now it makes me cringe everytime I hear something like "they are not being true to their own selves"... A band should owe no allegiance to its fans, and the fans don't owe any allegiance to the band. If a band becomes something which I cannot endorse anymore, then instead of moving along with the band, I will calmly let it pass by me.
I do accept that interference of record labels, and greedy managers does generate great turmoil and questionable music in the hands of more insecure, fabricated artists, but in the end they all made their bed and have to sleep in it. For better or worse, it's still "them", but they were never a fixed, imutable mathematical constant, to begin with.

If someone says that the "first album" shiina is the real one, then I could argue that 5 years before, shiina had a very different personality and musical taste. and five years later, she would be again different.

Albums are nothing more than a snapshot in time of what is happening in that period of an artists' life. If shiina had only been able to release her very first album today, at her late 20's, would anyone actually believe it would have sounded anything like Muzai Moratorium?

People change, and some people appear to resist to change, and in that process they run the risk of stagnating.