Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.06.30, 09:13 PM   #11
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

yea, you're missing out!
what are the bonuses of the japanese version?
I also have the LP and went to check out what you meant about it and, yea, it is very light. does that mean it doesn't sound as good as it should?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 09:27 PM   #12
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The Japanese version comes with a bonus track on the Redbook/standard portion of the disc (I can't remember what the track is called because I'm not home right now), plus an MOV for My Lips Are Red on CD-Extra.

I've played the Marry Me LP on a very expensive turntable rig that has delivered stellar results with heavier LPs before, and Marry Me sounded almost like crap.

You have to consider that KSK with the bonus track is about 49 minutes, and EMI gave that two separate vinyls - each of which are heavier than the one vinyl you get for Marry Me. Marry Me has more runtime than that, and yet Marry Me gets only one vinyl. This means they had to make the "walls" between-the-grooves thinner and shorter, and provide the audio with less integrity.

I think the CD for Marry Me (whether you have the Japanese or North American release) sounds better than the LP, and I don't usually defend CDs.
Old 2009.06.30, 09:48 PM   #13
HEDOfloe

wow, i feel so cheated now. it was an impulse buy at one of her concerts and i was so pumped about it. though most records i have rarely have much in the sleeve, i was a bit disappointed that they just had a sheet inside of it with the lyrics. the actor one actually opens up and has the lyrics on there which is much nicer and i don't have to worry about crumpling up any paper when i slide the record back in. the record itself isn't that much heavier, though, but i only got it so she could sign it ^____^.
Old 2009.06.30, 09:54 PM   #14
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the bonus track on the japanese version is the b-side on Paris is Burning EP and the Jesus Saves, I Spend single available on iTunes. You could pay twice the amount of the album to import the Japanese or just buy the American version and the EP or the individual track off an mp3 vendor, or if you want the disc, buy the PIB EP.

The Amazon mp3 version of Actor has Bicycle, which was a b-side from Marry Me studio sessions and the iTunes bonus track version has another b-side called Oh God, I think that is the correct name, which is available to purchase separately (which is always nice, I hate the 'album only' crap that they give you most of the time).

oh, she also has a track on Amanda's Palmer solo album, Who Killed Amanda Palmer, that is quite interesting. It is a cover of What's The Use Of Wond'rin?, a song from Carasoul I think? Amanda Palmer doesn't do anything on the track, which is interesting, kind of like a guest cameo by her friend. Its kind an ironic little ode to domestic abuse.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 10:06 PM   #15
HEDOfloe

oh, "these days". yea, i got the paris is burning ep, in CD form, though. amazon has Bicycle but you can only get it if you get the whole album! i can't say that's a bad deal, but i'm so angry about that because i had bought the CD, then got the LP and so i couldnt justify buying it all over again for one song! I actually have heard it, though, because i pre-ordered the album and it came with a 7" of the actor out of work single which has bicycle as the b-side. i managed to find it somewhere online so i could get it as an mp3 but it's such lame quality. i'm not camping happily because of this .

the other one is "Oh my god". i forgot how i got that one but i got it and it sounds nice. i actually first heard of it at the concert. she made a joke about it being extremely rare, japanese b-side, and a bunch of other adjectives for it. it's pretty eery.

i'm definitely going to look for that amanda palmer track first thing tomorrow!

in the meantime, you guys should watch this acoustic session she did. very interesting. she says she doesnt think she even has an acoustic guitar! @_@_@_@_@

http://www.lakefeversessions.com/session/st-vincent/
Old 2009.06.30, 10:14 PM   #16
kuro_neko

yeah I saw that on her myspace, haha. she should release an acoustic EP, the songs are so different acoustic!

I feel in love with the loud harsh sound of Actor Out of Work though.

Um, you can buy Oh My God for 0.99 on iTunes, which is the only place it is available (perhaps the eventual Japanese edition will include it...)

Bicycle, as far as I can tell, is only on amazon.com when you buy the entire album, which is lame.

The AP track is very simple and a real showcase for her voice, its so beautiful, but it is more of an experiment and a statement against domestic violence than an actual track you would want to listen to, so I wouldn't go out of your way to get ahold of it.
Old 2009.07.01, 04:15 PM   #17
HEDOfloe

yea, i got used to the actor out of work sound, too, but it was just too much after hearing the live version. i like how it picks up at the end. off the top of my head, i think she sings the chorus, and then repeats it again with a slight change to the words and yet the music gets ostensibly heavier which seems hard to believe since it seems like it goes to 80mph right from the start. the riff is badass, though. i love how she sings it in a sort of scat way in the acoustic version =).
Old 2009.07.02, 01:43 PM   #18
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Bicycle, as far as I can tell, is only on amazon.com when you buy the entire album, which is lame.
I just bought it (99 cents) from the iTunes store, along with Oh My God (iTunes bonus track) and These Days (Jesus Saves bside).

There are a few albums where the artists name is St. Vincent, does anyone know if some of them might be Annie Clark's material are they just by other artists sharing the name? :

- Andy & Vincent's Gay 90's Songs ( XD that one I can guess is not her)
- Blue Angel
- Oh Oh Love
- St. Vincent Birth
- Stairwell

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answer already. All 4 other than the gay one are by a folk (male) artist.

Last edited by zarya : 2009.07.02 at 01:48 PM.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.02, 01:49 PM   #19
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by zarya View Post
I just bought it (99 cents) from the iTunes store, along with Oh My God (iTunes bonus track) and These Days (Jesus Saves bside).

There are a few albums where the artists name is St. Vincent, does anyone know if some of them might be Annie Clark's material are they just by other artists sharing the name? :

- Andy & Vincent's Gay 90's Songs ( XD that one I can guess is not her)
- Blue Angel
- Oh Oh Love
- St. Vincent Birth
- Stairwell
I think none of these are from Annie Clark.

From Last.fm:

There is more than one artist with this name:

1) Annie Clark

2) St. Vincent is the name of singer songwriter Vincent Bernardy, who has written and recorded music since 1980.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.02, 03:15 PM   #20
kuro_neko

ooh so bicycle is available on iTunes Canada. in the US it is an amazon.com exclusive (laaaaame)