Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.10.24, 07:27 AM   #31
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I think it's a rather serious problem where I can't tell the difference between the album and single versions of Meisai and Ishiki
Erm, can you really not tell the difference between the single and album versions of Ishiki? The single version omits the opening 17 seconds of the song and the final 1:15 is completely different. It's just Ringo with a music box and a rain storm to set the mood.

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I completely agree with the awesomeness of Morphine. As well as "Akane sasu..."
Indeed. It's pretty sad to see Akane Sasu called "standard j-pop" around here sometimes.
Old 2012.10.24, 12:34 PM   #32
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
Lately I've been listening to Chiaki Kuriyama's SR singles and I must say they have grown on me a lot, even with her uncharismatic autotuned voice. Oishii Kisetsu and Tsukuyo no Shouzou are both great and have mostly gone ignored on the forums!
They deserved to be underrated as long as Chiaki's on vocals, although maybe I'm just bitter about how terribly she ended up massacring Ketteiteki Sanpunkan. It's a shame the only time Ringo's taken back a couple of those songs were in live performances, and even then it could have been better in the case of Oishii Kisetsu (orchestra was okay but it's probably best as straight rock).

Last edited by Positron : 2012.10.24 at 12:39 PM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.24, 03:27 PM   #33
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Well, other than the coda, yeah, but I thought the rest of it was supposed to be different, too?

I really, really love the Bon Voyage Oishii Kisetsu. As well as Bon Voyage Tengoku, which sounds more like a James Bond theme than Adele's new song.

Akane sasu has some great emotion in it. I love the opening melody that repeats throughout the song, the hi-hat and the piano doing that build. And then the final verse in English! Heart-breaking.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.24, 06:57 PM   #34
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Tsumiki Asobi, Tokyo Jihen version, Meet the World Beat 2004

Under-rated, or just under-heard?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.24, 07:45 PM   #35
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Akane Sasu is one of Ringo's classics to me

I forgot to add Karisome Otome HF ver. I much prefer it over the death jazz ver. (can't stand the brass), though I really liked TJ arrangement on discovery and the japanese lyrics are much better. HF as a whole is way underrated too
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.24, 07:57 PM   #36
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post

Probably under heard. Great show! Ah those halcyon days.
Old 2012.10.24, 08:08 PM   #37
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Is Sake to Geko underrated? Because it's a very powerful song for me.
If it's not underrated for what it is, maybe it is in the context of Variety or Spa & Treatment, which is, by the way, one of those Phase II performances I really cherish.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.24, 08:10 PM   #38
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Well, other than the coda, yeah, but I thought the rest of it was supposed to be different, too?
Pretty sure they're identical aside from the opening and ending. It's been a looong while since I've listened to either version.

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post

It's my favorite version of the song. Pre-Dynamite Tokyo Jihen was best Jihen. The 2004 summer lives as a whole are under-heard and under-rated.
Old 2012.10.24, 08:13 PM   #39
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
Is Sake to Geko underrated? Because it's a very powerful song for me.
If it's not underrated for what it is, maybe it is in the context of Variety or Spa & Treatment, which is, by the way, one of those Phase II performances I really cherish.
That song + the right sound system = ball shattering greatness.
Old 2012.10.25, 12:53 AM   #40
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yes, yes, sake to geko. It’s one of those songs where the live made the difference. The way she sings the mellower part verges on enka, and then there’s of course those powerful evil-sounding vocals with the equally dramatic performance from the rest of the band.

I don’t know if Doppleganger is underrated because the concert certainly isn’t but I’d say that song in particular is her best live performance because you get the impression that the band is sweating blood trying to forge the very produced album version to life. And it isn’t a very happy sounding song, and yet Rin . Again,some nearly enkaish vocals.

I agree with Morphine, of course, it was part of the double-team effort that sold me on SR. The other part being Mayonaka wa Junketsu. Also I prefer it to Izonshou, which has all the ingredients that should, in theory, make it a favourite. I think it’s because I become used to the SS sound by the time I get to it and the effect is that it sounds almost stereotypically SS.

And that reminds me. Tsuki ni Makeinu is *pure* Shouso Strip-era Ringo to me.

Oh, and another underrated moment is whenever Ringo and Hata interact with each other. on stage.

Also, virtually no-one said anything about Ringo’s 33rd birthday song with Jihen.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2012.10.25 at 01:06 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote