Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: The Latter Three
Kyouiku 8 38.10%
Adult 8 38.10%
Sanmon Gossip 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.11.05, 05:47 AM   #51
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Omatsuri Sawagi IS a better song than Togatta Teguchi.
Togatta Teguchi has some nice electric sitars, but her vocals are intentionally staccato and it just sounds cold and distant. It's emotional point (that everything eventually dies) is not really conveyed that well through the music. As for it being experimental musically: honestly, I don't think so. It's so Muse-ish that it doesn't seem innovative to me.
With Omatsuri Sawagi, the melody just rolls right off the tongue, the lyrics are fantastic, and you really feel the emotion of experiencing the Matsuri for the first time. It just draws you in so much. IMO, it is right up there with Whiteberry's Hanabi in terms of songs about Matsuri.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 12:47 PM   #52
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Togatta Teguchi has some nice electric sitars, but her vocals are intentionally staccato and it just sounds cold and distant. It's emotional point (that everything eventually dies) is not really conveyed that well through the music. .
Who listens to Togatta Teguchi to get moved to tears? It's a party song ffs.

As for music reflecting the emotion of the lyrics, that's an outdated idea. Sad lyrics don't necessarily need to be accompanied by sad music. Ringo sometimes plays with such ideas.

I have no problem with you preferring Omatsuri Sawagi though!

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.11.05 at 01:22 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 12:59 PM   #53
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Kyouiku’s production mangles nearly every song on the album. If the intention was to make the music sound raw and primal then the execution achieves the exact opposite of that. It’s as if the music is impenetrable, which is quite frustrating when these are some of her best songs.

Ringo no Uta is the biggest victim of Kyouiku’s vendetta against SR’s songs. The single version was classy and elegant and delicate, but SR/TJ’s preoccupation with rocking out trivialises it.

Kyouiku was just the prototype to DO, which isn’t just a good live show -- it realises SR’s vision of that era much better than the album does. So it is between Adult and Sanmon Gossip for me.
This is one of the most interesting thoughts in this thread. Bringing it to attention before it gets buried by Togatta Teguchi being a party anthem talk
:-p (as for my opinion, its a fucking awesome song, especially in regards to its placement on the album. I never see it as a standalone track really.)
Old 2012.11.05, 01:02 PM   #54
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

With the exception of Bonsai Hada, I don't find much to like in the back half of SG.
Old 2012.11.05, 01:28 PM   #55
Inseu

Using words like "victim" and "vendetta" to describe Kyouiku make me sad - the album Ringo's classic Raw Power. I enjoyed the hell out of Service, and it's probably my least favourite. If you really want something "impenetrable", why not try some Natural Snow Buildings? Or anything that contains jazz noodles, classical tediousness, prog wankery, or post-rock emptiness.
Old 2012.11.05, 01:42 PM   #56
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
jazz noodles, classical tediousness, prog wankery, or post-rock emptiness.
Listen more! All things worth getting into, even if it requires some effort initially.

EDIT: 4srs. Some great music you are missing out on.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.11.05 at 01:48 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 01:47 PM   #57
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Not always... Dream Theater spring to mind ;-p
Old 2012.11.05, 01:51 PM   #58
Inseu

Yeah, not really denying every merit in those genres. I find myself liking some, but that amount is not directly proportional to the time I invested finding it. Sounds narrow-minded, but my attention span is kinda short these days.

And suppose we use Ringo as our lead, we can nonetheless build up a huge music collection - the band members' solo stuff, Number Girl, and all the Japanese artists getting compared to her.
Old 2012.11.05, 02:03 PM   #59
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Heart Bazaar, Asai Kenichi and his 687940 bands, Soil & Pimp Sessions, etc.

I re-evaluate Togatta Teguchi after hearing it again. It seems like the song is supposed to be emotionally cold and distant. It's attitude towards death seems to be taken as a matter of fact, almost scientific, not at all out of grief. It's a good song, but in terms of party songs, I feel like Omatsuri Sawagi is so euphoric there's nothing to really hold it back.

RE: Experimental. Is it though? The elements of it (electric sitar, staccato filtered vocals, layered beats, rap ending) don't seem that "experimental" to me. I'm not sure if I can explain it well, but although I love her collab's with Nakayama, I've never though of him as an "experimental" producer unless you consider that all electronic music "experimental".
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 02:34 PM   #60
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
suppose we use Ringo as our lead, we can nonetheless build up a huge music collection - the band members' solo stuff, Number Girl, and all the Japanese artists getting compared to her.
I've got close to 200 CDs/DVDs from related artists (musicians Shiina Ringo has actual history with). Without even counting TOKIO (which I'm doing my best to ignore), I know I'm missing at least another hundred releases.

I don't mean to discredit "similar" artists, though. I'm just saying it's very easy for a Ringo-centric collector to run out of money before ever considering any unrelated artists.