Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.09.15, 06:14 AM   #41
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

As far as Yayoshi goes, I'm no guitar expert, and I while I pay more attention to individuals' playing styles now than I used to (I'm definitely not as in tune to it as Maou seems to be) he wasn't personally memorable to me. It was more "yes all of the necessary instruments are here." I guess I'm happy to know that the guy isn't universally hated, though

I'm not sure if she had reasons of getting involved with him other than I guess they had a pretty good personal relationship, but I think that her live sets sound more cohesive now that she's finding quite good band members. I'm not sure if this has always been the case, but I watched a recent interview of hers where some of her regular collaborators were present, and it seems like she gives a little guidance, but lets her backup find a sound that they like then they work through it until she likes it

Stuff like this, how she selects her musicians, creates live sets, etc. makes it difficult to separate Ringo the person and Ringo the musician because I think they reflect one another...

I respect putting the music quality first, or keeping the person as far away from what they produce as possible, but I think Ringo is what makes all of her projects so interesting She has great stage presence, and those moments when she really looks wrapped up in the music and like she's just enjoying it all are so worthwhile to me I generally trust her as a musician, and personally feel that no one else could sell the same sound with the same kind of impact...

As for zordon's comment, I don't vibe elitism so much as condescension sometimes. If something isn't to your (general your) taste (not liking the vocoding in NMM, or hating the distortion and effects on early Ringo tracks, for example) then that's fine, but to place the blame on the artist for making something you don't personally like seems odd

I don't work in construction, but I assume there are basic guidelines you have to follow throughout the process. It's hard to do so, but I think it's possible for many people to fight an urge to critique, or find ways to sound less critical if they wish to even when their brain is shouting insults or something I have no particular area of extreme expertise or any sort of telling data though so I can't say for sure.

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.09.15 at 08:09 AM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 12:56 PM   #42
Vorpax

Vorpax is headed in the right direction

I listen to all her solo stuff regularly, minus Sanmon Gossip. God, I hate that fucking dumb elevator music no joke. Besides, some tracks are so awfully overproduced (hello, Tsugou no Ii Karada!) that makes me sick while listening. I dont get why people here put this crap album above Sunny, seriously.
And of course, I don't listen to that fucking horrible NIPPON nor this shitty Coke song. But that's about it, I loved her recent outputs, reimport, ukina and Sunny (despite it's problems).
About Jihen, Kyoiku, Dynamite Out and to a lesser extent, Adult. Everything from there is a big NO for me.

Last edited by Vorpax : 2015.09.15 at 01:03 PM.
Vorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 02:16 PM   #43
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Vorpax View Post
I dont get why people here put this crap album above Sunny, seriously.
Probably the same reason you put X "crap" album you love over another album: they just like it. Do these people need a reason?

Sanmon Gossip is "elevator music"? Well, damn. I would love to hear it in some hotel lobby or building elevator. Not sure if you were being facetious, but there are a lot of intricacies within the songs of that album that maybe you haven't had the chance to fully appreciate. It's far from elevator music. Try sitting down and listening with a good pair of headphones.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 03:28 PM   #44
Vorpax

Vorpax is headed in the right direction

Futari-bocchi Jikan, Irokoizata and Karisome Otome (Heisei Fuzoku's is far superior) fit to elevator music for me. Bland and tasteless. Tsugō no Ii Karada is plain bad, Shun is good (a bit overrated), Togatta Teguchi could be good if it hadn't been for that rap nonsense, original Maru Sadi is far better than this version. Vogue, Mayakashi Yasaotoko and Bonsai Hada are the only really great songs here. Just a quick review. It's not a horrendous album (I exagerated in my last post, it's not crap), but IMHO it's easily her worst.

Last edited by Vorpax : 2015.09.15 at 04:02 PM.
Vorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 03:45 PM   #45
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Vorpax View Post
Karisome Otome (Heisei Fuzoku's is far superior)
bruh
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 06:18 PM   #46
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ lol

I really loved Irokoizata and Futaribocchi jikan the way I liked Ringo no uta and Keshou naoshi.

Am surprised that such visceral hate for Tsugou no ii karada exists. But then again you aren't much of an artist if your work isn't polarising on some level. Am in agreement that Shun is a bit overrated on these boards imo.

But can we please just give a bit of attention to the criminally underrated Yokyou?!?!?! I mean, the Expo version was far superior but regardless this is such a great song that never gets mentioned around here!
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 06:38 PM   #47
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Am in agreement that Shun is a bit overrated on these boards imo.
I just...I can't even...

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
But can we please just give a bit of attention to the criminally underrated Yokyou?!?!?! I mean, the Expo version was far superior but regardless this is such a great song that never gets mentioned around here!
I'm really surprised she doesn't perform this one live more often. Maybe during the upcoming tour...
Old 2015.09.15, 06:43 PM   #48
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

SG easily has the highest replay value out of all her albums for me and is my favourite 'era' in the aesthetics and looks departments too.

Shun is my second favourite Ringo song.

That is all.
Old 2015.09.15, 06:51 PM   #49
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ YES SG is also my favourite album cover. I kinda wish Superficial Gossip had made it to the album. I mean, the song still exists and I can still listen to it whatever, but I felt its inclusion to the album would have made the album even better (and I enjoyed it a lot to begin with).

I find that I have to be in a right sort of mood to listen to Shun all the way through. The arrangement for me just toes that very fine line between classic and cheesy. It's also incredibly difficult to nail live which is why there hasn't really been a -definitive- performance of that song for me to associate the song with. e.g. I liked Stem but wasn't crazy in love with it until I "understood" its potential/strength as a piece of songwriting after the Electric Mole performance.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.15, 06:53 PM   #50
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The best live version of Shun I've heard so far is the NHK songs one... which is almost perfect. Infact that whole NHK Songs from 2009 often feels criminally overlooked.