Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.08.20, 04:40 AM   #1
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Days of the Leak (Spin.com editorial)

Spin.com editorial about the effect of music leaks.

On the afternoon of May 30, Jack White called Chicago radio station Q101 in a very bad mood. The White Stripes' frontman was in Spain at the time, but he'd gotten word that the station's DJ Electra had played the band's Icky Thump in its entirety a couple of hours earlier. The album wasn't scheduled to be released for another three weeks, and now a murky copy that somebody recorded off the radio was racing around the Internet. So White called Electra to chew her out for "messing up the entire music business" and for leaking his record, even though it had obviously leaked already -- that's how Q101 got it.
Article link: http://www.spin.com/features/magazin.../07/0708_leak/
Old 2007.08.20, 07:34 AM   #2
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Duh, radio stations should know better.

I know theres no real law or rule that you can't play leaks over the air, but I'd imagine it's a good business practice not to.

I remember one night I was going on air, and that afternoon the then new Oasis album had leaked. So I was jazzed up about that. But I was in a predicament. I had in my possession disc full of brand new, never before played on the air before songs of a band that still gets somewhat air time at the station and I was like 90 mins from going live. I really wanted to play something off it, even if just for my wang's sake to say I played it before likekly anyone else in the country.

But I didn't and only played the single off the record which had been available for a month (though, I wouldn't be so surprised if I was still the first in the country to play that given the band's general unpopularity here =P) I gave in because I didn't want to push my luck that the wrong person wasn't listening at the time.
Old 2007.08.20, 08:21 AM   #3
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The effects of a leak are extreme one way or the other, depending upon whether the music is good or not.

I can understand why indie folks feel like they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Studio executives who lose sleep over leaks, ought to ask themselves how wonderful the content is that they're standing behind.

I'm not sure why they included OiNK in the article. Almost everything they said about OiNK is true, but that community doesn't really have much of a role to play with leaks. OiNK is oriented like "we love V0 and FLAC, and you'd better seed your ass off like everyone else". Normally leaks get dumped at torrent communities that are more reputably "0-Day" and/or "-scene-" in nature.
Old 2007.10.24, 01:01 AM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I thought I'd bump this thread, because articles like that one, are just part of a cascade of increasingly bloated exaggerations, that ultimately led to OiNK's demise.

I've been an OiNKer for nearly two years, and I really hate to see the place go. They cared more about what quality something was in, than how early it was downloadable, and yet they've been targetted as a "pre-release haven", as part of IFPI's desperate campaign to 'support' the artists.

In actuality, OiNK wouldn't even let people upload the official Radiohead In Rainbows downloads, because those were in 160kbps, and OiNK has a minimum upload quality rule (for any music new or old) of 192kbps, no matter how rare or special the content is.

And why should it matter how early or late people pirate music? If they don't like the way something sounds, they're not going to buy it after having pirated it either way. If you download a pre-release, it's because you're already familiar with the artist, and you liked at least some of what you heard. If the pre-release leeching opportunity affects sales at all, it's from the impatient fans who were going to buy the album on release date without having heard it. I suppose that's 'lost' revenue then, but why is the consumer being blamed for how unappealing an artist's new music is?

I personally have nothing against the try-before-you-buy style of piracy. My own music purchases have skyrocketed thanks to the exposure I got to many obscure artists via piracy. Or when an artist is an international superstar, then the manner in which the record label gives you an officially rationed taste of the artist's new material, is too limiting. What I'm against is people 'trying' (and keeping) downloads before and/or after their mind is made up that they will never buy the music no matter how much they may end up liking it.

More of IFPI's propaganda, alleges that OiNK's admininistration was profiting off of the userbase at the expense of the record labels. This is impossible when you consider that OiNK never ran advertisements (aside from arguably the torrented music itself), and while they accept donations, their hosting costs are HUGE, and only a very small percentage (less than 10%) of OiNKers have actually donated, because... donating doesn't do anything for you at OiNK. But IFPI tries to portray OiNK as a "pay site", even though the statistics don't add up.

Another statistic that doesn't add up, is IFPI's portrayal of new users needing to provide new content. This couldn't be further from the truth. If everyone had to bring something new, then not only wouldn't there be anywhere near 200,000 users, but at the same time (according to IFPI's own thinking) it would be a file trading community, implying that everyone there legitimately purchases music to some degree (probably including tracks they demoed from online trading), rather than having a userbase consisting of a small handful of buyers, and exponentially more leechers.

Now I'm not saying IFPI couldn't have legitimate reasons for wanting to take OiNK down - I'm just saying all the reasons they happened to publicize, are totally out-of-touch with the actual situation. Then to add insult to injury, there are mobs of newsreaders who know little or nothing about OiNK outside of the article, and they discuss the matter as if OiNK's own policy somehow made it more of a ('deserving') target for IFPI, when as far as I'm concerned, OiNK is the lesser of many copyright 'evils' out there.

Anyway, I'm really going to miss all the FLAC (with logs) that was available, and all the software, and as well as the blazing fast speeds on everything (because everyone took seeding quite seriously). And I'm going to miss the forums, which had their own Off-Topic nuances about as interesting as Electric Mole Off-Topic, but in different ways. OiNK also had a small handful of tech nerds who were even further beyond me, than I am beyond many of you, so if any of you think I might be arrogant about my skills, let me tell you, OiNK's forums have been a very humbling experience.

It was fun while it lasted.

Rest In Peace.
Old 2007.10.24, 06:51 PM   #5
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Article on the shutdown of OiNK.

Relevant authorities should stop wasting time on crackdowns like these. Record companies should stop thinking in terms of "opportunity cost". There is no way to stop illegal downloading; anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded. (Yes I'm saying that pretty much the entire music industry and the law enforcement authorities are deluded.) Because if it were even possible, it would have stopped when Napster got "taken down". But "illegal downloading" just got better, and from the looks of it, can only get better.
Old 2007.11.09, 08:42 AM   #6
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Goodbye Demonoid
Old 2007.11.10, 12:49 PM   #7
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

It's a shame. But at least we have other sources.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote