Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.07.03, 04:26 PM   #21
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I do like the fact that bose is kind of a stepping stone into the high-end audio world.
Definitely, I'm so appreciative of Bose for this reason. Headphone shopping as a 14-year-old was rather intimidating.

Originally Posted by ChickShhh View Post
What is a DAC? My mp3 player does not support lossless files, it's only a Sony A846 Would it be a bit wasted if I only play with 320k?
A digital-analog converter, which portable players don't support anyway (although I have a Sony Walkman too -- can't remember the model number -- and I don't have any problems with the quality). And about 320k...I've done blind tests between lossless and 320k of different albums in my library, a lot of which I've failed (I can't pass a blind test of Kyouiku, for example...that album is made for lossy compression ). But some bands/genres are noticeably different.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.03, 04:45 PM   #22
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
I can't pass a blind test of Kyouiku, for example...that album is made for lossy compression
A more-accurate (but not literally-true) thing to say is that Kyoiku was made from lossy encoding (essentially). If so, then any (further) lossiness introduced on the user side of things, would essentially be lossy-transcoding. For that reason, Kyoiku is one of the last albums I would ever want to think about storing in lossy.

Kyoiku may have the least to preserve in lossless, but the CD tracks as-is have already lost so much that they would become unbearable in lossy. Kyoiku in lossy, sounds too much like 2nd-generation lossy. Since I can generally hear bigger differences between 1st and 2nd generation lossy than I can hear between lossless and 1st-gen lossy, I cannot justify the encoding or existence of 2nd+ generation lossy to anyone.
Old 2011.07.03, 05:04 PM   #23
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
A more-accurate (but not literally-true) thing to say is that Kyoiku was made from lossy encoding (essentially). If so, then any (further) lossiness introduced on the user side of things, would essentially be lossy-transcoding. For that reason, Kyoiku is one of the last albums I would ever want to think about storing in lossy.

Kyoiku may have the least to preserve in lossless, but the CD tracks as-is have already lost so much that they would become unbearable in lossy. Kyoiku in lossy, sounds too much like 2nd-generation lossy. Since I can generally hear bigger differences between 1st and 2nd generation lossy than I can hear between lossless and 1st-gen lossy, I cannot justify the encoding or existence of 2nd+ generation lossy to anyone.
Huh, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose the reason I have an easier time hearing differences in Adult than Kyouiku, for example, is because I'm listening to them from a subjective quality standpoint and not an objective fidelity standpoint (if that makes sense?)

I'm a newcomer to the world of high-quality audio, so I'm going to defer to you .
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.03, 05:37 PM   #24
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So what do you keep Kyouiku in, Glath? FLAC, Ogg, WMA Lossless?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.03, 06:03 PM   #25
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
WAV, actually.

It serves my purposes, and that's what matters most.
I wouldn't criticize anyone for using FLAC or WavPack, though.

This is how my library is structured:

Name:  Glath Schema - 01 - The WAV.png
Views: 95
Size:  57.0 KB

This is a parallel folder tree where I keep my metadata separate from the audio:
Name:  Glath Schema - 02 - The Metadata.png
Size:  75.2 KB

This is what the CUEsheet looks like in Notepad:
Name:  Glath Schema - 03 - The CUEsheet.png
Views: 0
Size:  101.8 KB

Since I don't want to memorize catalog numbers to reach my music, I have another folder tree which looks like this:
Name:  Glath Schema - 04 - Navigation.png
Size:  73.0 KB

The M3U's job is to reference all the Tokyo Jihen releases I've got on-file, so I don't have to humanly keep track of where they are:
Name:  Glath Schema - 05 - The M3U.png
Views: 94
Size:  38.5 KB

This is what it looks like when I load the M3U into foobar2000:
Name:  Glath Schema - 06 - Loaded Into Player.png
Views: 1
Size:  95.1 KB

The idea is to keep the audio itself, and the organizing of that audio - as compartmentalized as possible. In the event that I lose the computer-stored audio, I want the ripping and reorganizing process to be as quick and mindless as possible. If I were to re-rip Kyouiku, my system will know that the file should be named TOCT-25452{_2,A4}_image.wav, and will auto-move that to the appropriate place, while all the metadata from before will reference the new WAV.

So why not go to all this trouble with FLACs or WavPacks instead? Because they take too much processing to create. When you're trying to replace 500 rips as quickly as you can, you don't want to waste any time on processing (which could become a bottleneck if you were ripping 4+ CDs simultaneously). Lossless compression also costs processing to decode during playback (or during conversion to any other format), while WAV costs basically nothing but space.

WAVs are also ready-to-burn with Offset Correction and all. Usually if you want to burn from lossless, you must first extract WAV(s) out of it anyway - if you want to do it right.
Old 2011.07.03, 06:24 PM   #26
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Pretty much most of us at EMF agree that Kyouiku sounds terrible.
But you gotta agree that the material is pretty good.
Old 2011.07.22, 02:51 PM   #27
TurtleFu

I'm surprised you use Windows, Glath, because I always thought most audio and media professionals preferred macs.
Old 2011.07.22, 03:58 PM   #28
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

WUH-OH!

That's because alot of audio and media professionals are petty, superficial, mouth breathers
Old 2011.07.22, 06:23 PM   #29
TurtleFu

Yes...
...but because they use Macs?
Old 2011.07.22, 08:12 PM   #30
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

it's part of the uniform.