Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists
View Poll Results: global domination?
Japan 15 32.61%
United States of America 6 13.04%
United Kingdom 15 32.61%
Australia 0 0%
Canada 2 4.35%
Scandinavia 4 8.70%
Latin America 1 2.17%
Central Eurasia 2 4.35%
South and East Asia 0 0%
Africa 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.04.13, 04:29 PM   #31
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think its cool you mention Blonde Redhead, theyre alright. I think they can be super hit-or-miss tho. I'm a bit sour on even the American indie scene cuz every band that used to want to be Radiohead (a few years ago) now wants to be Modest Mouse.And its so silly. I used to work on air at a alternative radio station, and I loved it. I'm an 'alternative' guy if ya can't tell, and we'd almost solely play indie stuff. So I heard my fair share of Radiohead/Modest Mouse wannabes. What Idid notice that the bands I wound up liking a whole lot were from Canada. Thats the end of my barely pointful story.

For america, I'm really banking that the decade of 2010 will be the "throwback to the 90's" decade. What bands do you think of when you think of the 90's? All the bands I like. See right now, everyones all 80's throwback. And the 80's were dreadful , let alone now. if in 2010, no one throws back to grunge, lollapalooza, and britpop all be right pissed. =p
Old 2007.04.13, 04:43 PM   #32
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Good that you see Scandinavia as one big country.
anyway I'm not voting on the American islands. I'll vote for...... Greenland.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.13, 04:51 PM   #33
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Yeaah, I was worried someone might be edgy I lumped some countries and not others. Granted, no one wants a full list of every country. I had to generalize a bit. It's certainly not that I view scandinavia as one country (tho I do keep forgetting where Kent's from. Norway, right?) But hey, its a geographic region that happens to churn out some good bands as far as I'm concerned. I tried to generalize where I could. No nationalist favorism o my part
Old 2007.04.13, 04:54 PM   #34
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

>TokyoJihad: Do you think Modest Mouse is getting big in the US? Because recently I've been reading a lot of hype around their latest album. I haven't heard it yet, so I don't know how it sounds. As for returning to the 90's, hmm that might be possible... but in the modern ages revival bands don't last more than 6 months in the spotlight... Nine Black Alps could make a difference though...
Old 2007.04.13, 04:58 PM   #35
Tokyo Jihad

There last album was pretty big, whatever had "Float On." Anything newer, I'm not sure. I'm sure it'll sell well tho. Not blockbuster, but sell well.
Old 2007.04.14, 10:17 AM   #36
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

I love Bebio's post. That is all.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.14, 01:56 PM   #37
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
I can't vote on this poll because I only listen to Japanese, Korean, and Christian music. @_@;; (I'm starting to listen to the radio, though, so I'm getting back into American music... slowly. >_<)
Nice! I thought I was the only person who listened to Christian music and Asian music. Have you heard the Newsboys, Badtzmaru? If not, you need to find "Love Liberty Disco" and "Thrive." They're two spectacular albums.

Oh yeah. Back on topic:
I like music from several of the locations mentioned. I'll list my favorites from each area, sticking purely to non-Christian music. If we're talking about the music inspired by the faith that I share with these artists, America is home to my favorites. Otherwise, the UK is probably my favorite. I listen to a lot of Japanese music, but most of it is bad. I consider the ones I list here to be good or great.

US (secular)
The White Stripes
Smashing Pumpkins
Matchbox 20

UK
The Beatles
Paul McCartney
Radiohead
Muse

Korea
Lee Soo Young
Park Hye Kyung
Lena Park

Japan
Shiina Ringo / Tokyo Jihen
Kaela Kimura
Chihiro Onitsuka
Bonnie Pink
Ayaka Hirahara
Aya
Utada Hikaru
Zwei

China
Faye Wong

I guess the main reason I chose the UK over Japan is because I don't know Japanese. Japan does have some amazing stuff though. Obviously.

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2007.04.14 at 02:10 PM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.14, 02:21 PM   #38
Tokyo Jihad

Fluffie, I'm a big fan of the Pumpkins!

And I gotta say, they seem to stick out a bit amongst your other selections. What Pumpkins stuff are you most keen on?
Old 2007.04.14, 05:47 PM   #39
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

ah, I like the Pumpkins too. I'm really looking forward to their new album. I think my fave album is "Mellon Collie", but to be honest, my favourite release from them is actually the "Aeroplane Flies High" singles collection. I can't believe they threw out so many great songs just as B-Sides... I'd love to have written several of them...
Old 2007.04.14, 05:49 PM   #40
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

1979. My favourite.