Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.04.25, 05:02 PM   #11
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Without music piracy, I would never have found out about SR in the first place. I'm sure this is the case for a lot of us here since SR/TJ or any other Japanese artist for that matter are not being heavily marketed in our home countries. Just like how people like to try on clothes before buying them, people like to sample their music before throwing their money on a CD. In this way, the pirated music that we download allows us to make informed decisions about whether to buy the CD or not.

Of course, many people (including me) abuse this and don't buy the CDs in the end. It doesn't help that high quality audio/video rips are readily available online. And that internet speeds are getting faster, users can post higer quality rips since file sizes/download time have ceased to become a limitation anymore. Since most people don't nitpick at quality anyway, why spend that $30 when you can otherwise have something for free?

However, one thing I want to believe is that the heaviest downloaders are also the people who own the most physical copies of their music. Except that music is not from the flashy/trashy "singers" that record companies are dumping all their marketing dollars into, but from musicians who actually make meaningful music that, sadly, doesn't get as much attention from the big record companies. Just as well anyway, since a lot of record companies pressure their artist to make music that's "sellable" and this usually results in artists not taking enough risks with their music and just go with whatever style that's established.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.04.25 at 05:09 PM.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.25, 06:52 PM   #12
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
However, one thing I want to believe is that the heaviest downloaders are also the people who own the most physical copies of their music.
Yeah...if I enjoy an artist, I'm more than happy to shell out the cash for their music. However, there aren't very many occasions where I buy a CD without downloading something by the artist first, and I think that, if I couldn't sample artists before I go out and buy, I wouldn't own most of the CDs I have now. Piracy allows me to make informed decisions on what music to buy.
Old 2007.04.25, 10:12 PM   #13
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

Protip: Listen to independent labels and bands. I'm not opposed to a good major label artist. They're just rare finds. The major labels and RIAA only see music as a commodity and not an art form. Independent artists actually get paid rather than scammed by their labels (or themselves) and generally aren't producing the same shit that gets played all day on the radio or MTV. It's amusing these days to see the major labels suffering because of the internet. People are finding new artists and new ways of hearing music beyond their control and they're scared as fuck about it. We're not restricted to radio and television sets anymore and they're losing that tight grip over our eyes and ears that they've held for so long when it comes to media. They're trying to conform and failing; they're trying to label themselves as alternative and indie without actually being alternative and indie. The RIAA and the major labels under it are trying to charge you for intangible things and doing whatever they can before they crash and have to start from the bottom again. The fact is you're in control now and they can do nothing about it so don't waste your time trying to find good music in the "industry" and look for some geniune artists.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.26, 05:54 AM   #14
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

That's true, a great number of bands don't even want to get involved with studios, and when signing bonuses become a thing of the past (artists will be asked to take more and more of the back end), there's not even much incentive for a good band to work with a studio.

But where does that leave the individual talent? Someone who is a good singer but has no good backup, or someone who is a good instrument player but with no vocalist.....or a group already formed but with no good producer....these people have to find each other. Studios are great at that. So are agents and managers, but they have to get paid too, and need studio funds to bring people together.

Yes, independent bands can function without a studio, but their creativity has to overcome the limitations of the technology available to them (that they can afford) and a lack of professional connections.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.26, 12:40 PM   #15
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

I'm pretty sure you can pay for studio sessions without being signed to a major label. Independent bands and labels have their own studios as well, and if not they can always set them up. Studios aren't even a necessity any longer with all the computer audio programs we have now. People can make studio-quality music with their own computers. Looking for a vocalist or an instrument player isn't too hard with ads, the internet, and word of mouth. The only thing independent bands can't really get is the exposure they would get with a major label, but once again...the internet changes things. I can't really stand myspace but as far as bands it gives them awesome exposure. I'm sure we've all liked a few bands that have randomly friended us.

Last edited by Jer : 2007.04.26 at 12:48 PM.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.26, 02:43 PM   #16
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Just out of interest Mr Jihad, are you a Lennon or McCartney guy? And you're not allowed to sit on the fence! Lennon FTW!
Old 2007.04.26, 03:02 PM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Harrison! =P

Now, I have been in the "eat-sleep-breath Beatles" mindset sincethe 3rd grade, so I was practically there. =P I know The Beatles like some people know Shakespeare or the bible. So, I know all the actions of merit for each of the Beatles, as well as reasons to loathe each of them. I am going to do my best to at least look to one side of the fence I'm neatly perced in the middle of.

Paul wrote the most, and you could argue that they come to a nice average. However, John gets the credit for pushing the barriers, Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus. He gets alot of credit for Revolution 9 in the "art" sense, however, Paul was just as much into that field. I'm going to eeever so slightly side with John. He was probly the bigger jerk at the end, and towards the end the Beatles just functioned better when he wasn't around. But y'know, he wrote I feel Fine, Hard Days Night, Tomorrow Ever Knows, all his White Album songs. He kept the Beatles with "street cred" (tho, if not for Paul to balance out John, the Beatles woulda been an art student mess towards the end i think). So there you go. I'm not gonna say "ftw" because I dont think his solo stuff was anywhere as good as he was with the Beatles -- and that goes just as well for all of em (tho, George and Paul had their moments.) They were as good as they were because they had to please the other 3. John tends to get more credit than maybe he deserves at times, but I'd still thinly pick him.
Old 2007.04.26, 03:15 PM   #18
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

I'm also on the John side, but not so thinly. Paul is truly an embarrassment today, and maybe John just didn't live long enough to get there, but something tells me he would have maintained much more credibility than Paul has. And he wrote some amazing post-Beatles songs, Instant Karma, #9 Dream, Working Class Hero, Watching the Wheels, God, and was fairly consistent, if not prolific. Paul did some good solo stuff as well, but early on, and he kind of petered out into schlokville early.

And for our purposes, Shiina's totals, so far:

John covers - 2 (Yer Blues, Starting Over)
Paul covers - 0
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.26, 03:17 PM   #19
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Paul definitely had a better ear for melody, but most of his songs were pretty standard. And by standard, I mean in the traditional song writing sense. They are still expertly written and performed pop songs, but as you said John was pushing the barriers which I give him a lot more kudos for. Both John and Paul could be arseholes, but I like what John primarily stood for. I also think his songs have a lot more longevity. Hey Jude and Yesterday are beginning to slightly grate now. Strawberry Fields is one of my favourite Beatles songs and A Day in The Life is my favourite song of all time. Clichéd, I know. But it is rightfully so.

As for solo stuff, none of them created anything close to what they created as a team however I think that Lennon had by far the best of all the solo albums - Plastic Ono Band. I absolutely adore that album. It is so emotional, raw and honest. His other albums I thought were underrated too. Or overrated, depending on who you talk to really :p
Old 2007.04.26, 03:20 PM   #20
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Oh yeah, and Paul doing those songs at the Superbowl was THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN! What a waste, what an idiot, what a fool. If they still held meaning, he killed it right there.

If you want to know how I really feel, pm me....
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote