Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.03.13, 05:26 PM   #21
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Just everyone in the ring of fire is constantly in a state of shifting. Plate boundaries aren't the ideal places to live.

People on the news talk about how these terrible earthquakes and tsunami are destroying civilization, but if it weren't for that plate boundary Japan wouldn't exist in the first place. It's the way the Earth is and we need it. It's horrible, but it isn't something unexpected or preventable.

I couldn't imagine living through a disaster like this though. Eek. Japan's so nice though. They're waiting in line to get items from a store rather than loot everything. Which isn't what happened during Haiti or Katrina.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2011.03.13 at 05:37 PM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.13, 07:28 PM   #22
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

Haiti and Katrina were very poor areas though. :S
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.13, 11:24 PM   #23
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

There has been an update on kronekodow today. I can only read a bit but I get the general idea its Ringo saying her sympathies to the affected. Please can someone translate better than I can?

災害に遭われたみなさま
 いますぐお力になりたいです。でも叶いません。近々笑顔で再会させて戴けることを目指して、こちらも努めて参ります。どうか確かに生きてらしてくださいませ。案じて居りますし、お気持ちしっかり、よろしくお頼み申し上げます。

椎名林檎

++++

このたびの東北地方太平洋沖地震で被災された方々に、謹んでお見舞い申し上げます。少しでも多くの方々が救出されること、そして被災地の少しでも早い復旧をお祈りしております。

SR猫柳本線
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.14, 09:37 AM   #24
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by SoulExperience View Post
Haiti and Katrina were very poor areas though. :S
Yeah, I find much to admire in Japanese society, but I think it's a little unfair to draw comparisons to Haiti or New Orleans. Haiti is extremely poor and has never been allowed to exercise its self-determination. It has been hobbled from the beginning, gaining its freedom only to be stuck with outrageous debts imposed from without. Outside intervention has tended to destroy Haiti's economic capacity, the classic example being the elimination of Haiti's own pig population, using swine flu hysteria as an excuse: http://repeatingislands.com/2009/04/...-flu-epidemic/ And a poor, heavily African-American city in the U.S., deals with issues that aren't that different.

Also, the west encouraged Japan to recover from WWII as a self-sufficient country. Haiti has been treated as appendage to the U.S. (and to some extent to French interests). (Apologies to those who really know the history of post-war Japan, if that is excessively simplistic, but I think the contrast I'm making here is basically correct.)
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.14, 11:22 AM   #25
SoulExperience

Exactly...there have been too many comparisons of haiti/katrina this time around and it's irritating...I don't see why anyone would even need to compare the two.
Old 2011.03.14, 01:57 PM   #26
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

So basically Japan has no poor people? There are people affected in Japan that are just as devastated as those in Katrina and Haiti. The towns they grew up in were swept away, their lives and belongings destroyed. Their family members died horrific deaths. What happened in Katrina and Haiti is normal -- Chaotic anarchistic mob mentality.

I'm not saying any of the cultures are better than the other, or judging anyone I don't know. I could never say that. People are swayed by their surroundings. (save for the gangs formed in Haiti who decided to rape everyone after dusk. People who do that are unforgivable.)

I'm simply in awe of people who, after going through that, are able to keep it together enough to wait in lines wrapping around blocks for supermarkets to open to get food. It's possibly more self restraint than I'd have in the same situation.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.14, 03:12 PM   #27
ParisJihen

ParisJihen has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
There has been an update on kronekodow today. I can only read a bit but I get the general idea its Ringo saying her sympathies to the affected. Please can someone translate better than I can?

災害に遭われたみなさま
 いますぐお力になりたいです。でも叶いません。近々笑顔で再会させて戴けることを目指して、こちらも努めて参ります。どうか確かに生きてらしてくださいませ。案じて居りますし、お気持ちしっかり、よろしくお頼み申し上げます。

椎名林檎

++++

このたびの東北地方太平洋沖地震で被災された方々に、謹んでお見舞い申し上げます。少しでも多くの方々が救出されること、そして被災地の少しでも早い復旧をお祈りしております。

SR猫柳本線
Any japanese speaking member to try a translation ? Arigato !
ParisJihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.14, 03:35 PM   #28
SoulExperience

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
So basically Japan has no poor people? There are people affected in Japan that are just as devastated as those in Katrina and Haiti. The towns they grew up in were swept away, their lives and belongings destroyed. Their family members died horrific deaths. What happened in Katrina and Haiti is normal -- Chaotic anarchistic mob mentality.

I'm not saying any of the cultures are better than the other, or judging anyone I don't know. I could never say that. People are swayed by their surroundings. (save for the gangs formed in Haiti who decided to rape everyone after dusk. People who do that are unforgivable.)

I'm simply in awe of people who, after going through that, are able to keep it together enough to wait in lines wrapping around blocks for supermarkets to open to get food. It's possibly more self restraint than I'd have in the same situation.
No one is saying that Japan has no poor people and that they weren't devastated. :l What I was trying to say is that, people should stop comparing them in terms of the aftermath (aka acts of the people). It doesn't even matter. The fact is that they were all devastated in the same ways, but with different circumstances.
Old 2011.03.14, 04:01 PM   #29
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

If anybody's interested, Mugg/Jonny is okay.

I think comparing how people react during the aftermath of great disasters is cheap...

though I do salute the Japanese for well they've held up...

(or maybe the media is just covering up the really bad stuff, I dunno?)
Old 2011.03.14, 04:19 PM   #30
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Hello everyone. My workplace was hit hard at the quake, my desk is at the 8th floor of a 15 (?) stories building, and while I've experience some quakes during my few years here before, there's been nothing like this. Crouching under the desk, I thought this could be the end as the quake gradually got more fierce. When it finally calmed down we all evacuated. I think the situation was the same in most places around Tokyo. A lot of evacuated people on the streets, many, including me, walking home. I walked home for 6-7 hours. What struck me was that despite of this fierce quake, hardly any buildings seem to have taken any damage. I can only assume but if all buildings were built by IKEA they would have been turned into a pile of dust.

Generally I stopped having any confidence in Japanese media/gvt because they cover up a lot of info regarding the nuclear plants, and even death tolls around the tsunami. I'm trying to leave the country soon.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote