Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists
View Poll Results: ....taaaaaaaahhwwwww
Blokes 3 17.65%
Dames 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.08.03, 12:17 PM   #21
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

I prefer female vocals. The only exception is music from before the 80's, which in my collection is pretty much entirely male, like The Velvet Underground, James Brown, Fela Kuti...
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 04:10 PM   #22
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

When in Japanese, female fo sho. So many male singers sound so corny and croony (like Gackt and his jrocker ilk)... I can't stand it. (I do actually like Gackt as a casual fan, but sometimes his voice just grates on me!)

When in my native tongue, I think I'm fairly equally balanced, and have no particular preference/dislike.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 04:22 PM   #23
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
When in Japanese, female fo sho. So many male singers sound so corny and croony (like Gackt and his jrocker ilk)... I can't stand it. (I do actually like Gackt as a casual fan, but sometimes his voice just grates on me!)

When in my native tongue, I think I'm fairly equally balanced, and have no particular preference/dislike.
Agree with everything. A lot of Japanese males do sound pretty cheesy. Like, worse than Meat Loaf cheesy. And I like Meat Loaf
Old 2007.08.03, 05:21 PM   #24
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

hmmmm meat loaf and cheese * runs to subway...

Based on what Fluffie said, I think I too prefer Japanese female singers over male simply coz even though I don't understand the language, the female vocal is often more expressive emotionally than male's.
Old 2007.08.03, 06:40 PM   #25
moonmoon

moonmoon pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I don't really like black female singers.
As for everyone else, it really depends on the music.
O___o? What does the color of their skin have to do with their music?
Old 2007.08.03, 06:40 PM   #26
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I suspect that the more kinds of music you actively listen to, the more difficult it is to choose one gender 'overall'.

When it comes to German, it's a close call but I'm gonna have to say I prefer the guys.

When it comes to French, female for sure.

When it comes to black vocalists, they (or anyone else who sounds like them) have been increasingly over-used in recent decades. For pre-80s styles of music, the guys definitely win. Recent years have made me sick and tired of hearing the females.

When it comes to Japanese, the females win by a landslide, but a very small handful of guys such as Hyde, shouldn't be forgotten.

When it comes to pop, most of the guys do it 'wrong', especially outside of English.

When it comes to rock of the not-so-heavy varieties, I'm about 50/50. For metal or psychadelic, definitely the guys.

When it comes to electronica/trance/trip-hop, I'm leaning oh-so-slightly toward the females.

For reggae, there's no question it's the guys.

For big band jazz, I prefer the bold and simple elegance of Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett over any female. For small band jazz I'm okay with either gender.

I can understand how some people would love Gackt's voice, but that's not quite my cup of tea. I prefer his songwriting (mostly the acoustic guitar-driven tracks), much more than his actual voice. A lot of people completely dismiss his music because of his voice, just as some people make a similar mistake with Shiina Ringo.

Conclusion: Undecided
Old 2007.08.03, 06:43 PM   #27
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by moonmoon View Post
O___o? What does the color of their skin have to do with their music?
That's like asking what the color of your skin has to do with winning all the Olympic medals for short distance sprinting. A lot of traits come in package deals.
Old 2007.08.03, 09:47 PM   #28
moonmoon

moonmoon pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
That's like asking what the color of your skin has to do with winning all the Olympic medals for short distance sprinting. A lot of traits come in package deals.
But that's just it; The color of your skin has nothing to do with your ability to win Olympic medals in certain activities. If by 'a lot of traits come in package deals' you mean increased susceptibility to sickle cell anemia or pancreatic cancer, then sure, a lot of traits do.
Old 2007.08.03, 10:18 PM   #29
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Most black female singers have a more soulful voice than white girlzz . . . because they just do.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 10:51 PM   #30
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I agree. It's not racist -- it's just something that happens to be true.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote