Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.08.26, 05:47 PM   #151
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I just had to write a review for it:

ZOMBIE-CHANG- KOI NO VACANCES

Zombie Chang's debut was a challenging listen to say the least. A lot of people just 'didn't get it' and many went as far as calling it 'the worst thing theyd ever listened to'- this of course is utter hyperbole, but hey, music makes people feel that way. That EP was more akin to the likes of the earlier works of Seiko Oomori and had a freak folk approach with caterwalling vocals. It also featured quite a lot of punk influence, and 'don't give a fuck' attitude. I personally LOVED every second of it and purchased it right away.

Now, in 2015 she returns with her second official EP, released digitally on Omake-Club's website as a free download. Entitled "Koi no Vacances", it is a collection of songs that are about summer. The main notable difference this time is that she has gone with an electronic indie sound, and it truly works wonders for her. Infact, it sounds magical. There is nothing particularly "J" about it whatsoever, this could easily fit along the hippest of westen indie pop and the only difference would be the language. Musically, it is so well constructed, even the remixes on here are amazing. There's a wonderful beauty to the simplicity of the songs and the delivery of her vocals. She doesn't go apeshit this time, but delivers sweet croons (without ever sounding like a Japanese idol) over truly attractive beats that reach deep down and keep hold for the entire duration. When it finishes, I guarantee you will just want to start it over and listen again.

Zombie Chang herself is still quite the enigma, I'm still really not sure what her whole agenda is (though I'm getting a feeling that she is just doing it for a bit of fun), but I'm glad she's around, she's something to start getting excited about. If she follows this sound into a full album, we're in for one hell of a treat.

Ultimately, whether or not she intended it, Zombie Chang has released the coolest EP of 2015 so far.

And best of all, it's free.

Check it out!

9/10.
Old 2015.08.27, 04:29 AM   #152
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

New album October 14.

Yep, ALBUM!
Old 2015.08.27, 09:59 AM   #153
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
FKA Twigs- M3LL155X

I'm surprised there aren't people going absolutely fucking nuts over this on here tbh... It's pretty damn amazing.
I listened to it. Was never really into her, but thought I would give her another shot. Not blown away. It's all right.

Regarding Maron new album: awesome, but those fake eyelashes on her are horrendous. Another smoker, too? Jeez. Well, I guess it goes with her gimmick.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.27, 06:14 PM   #154
deadgrandma

Potentially the non-J pop AOTY???

(Cœur de pirate's Roses)

Guess I'll have to see how well CHVRCHES and Del Rey's albums land.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.08.27 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Cœur de pirate
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.28, 06:12 AM   #155
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Can't wait for new Lana Del Rey album. That Maron Hamada photo is mesmerizing, definitely gonna check it out.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.30, 04:47 AM   #156
deadgrandma

Hamada's tracklist

①未練バタフライ
②始発前のダンスホール
③サヨナラレクイエム
④革命記念日
⑤マヤカシのブルース
⑥踊れin the zoo
⑦ゆらゆら妄想ベッド
⑧曲芸ロンド
⑨鎖(bonus track)

As I thought, a few songs we already had, but 6 out of 9 new tracks aint too bad. There's always a chance the old songs MIGHT be rearranged- they were on her first album. The songs on this that are old are on releases that you can only get from her website or the Pinhead Magazine, so chances are if you're living outside of Japan, you won't own them anyway.
Old 2015.08.30, 11:58 PM   #157
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

The new Miley Cyrus x Flaming Lips album is actually pretty ace. (i.e. I completely and unironically love it)
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.31, 06:38 PM   #158
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
The new Miley Cyrus x Flaming Lips album is actually pretty ace. (i.e. I completely and unironically love it)
Pretty sure you're the first person to say something remotely nice about it that I've come across so far. TBH, I haven't heard anything from it, but can't say it isn't somewhat intriguing, albeit a bit on the gimmicky side perhaps.

Everything else I've read is like trying to get an honest opinion about the music itself on say, a Hole album without everyone being a fucking asshole about Courtney Love (though this time it's people just bitching about Miley and ignoring the album. Don't you just love the ADHD generation?). Granted, I haven't liked any of the music I've heard by Miley Cyrus before but do like a fair chunk of Flaming Lips- there's a 50/50 chance I'll dig at least some of this album...

Also, went back through this thread and I realise:

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE NEW PJ HARVEY???

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.08.31 at 06:49 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.31, 06:59 PM   #159
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ really? Cos a lot of the writing (articles, 'reviews') I have seen on the new Miley album has been fairly positive, once you get past the perfunctory posturing on her pot-addled ways.

I can't imagine that the ~music~ crowd would genuinely dislike this. There are some really beautiful vocal melodies there and some (to my ears) really cool production.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.01, 08:20 AM   #160
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Weird Al Yankovic - Party in the CIA
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote