Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.03.05, 12:05 PM   #111
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

man this thread is dead

saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D today. Very spur of the moment decision to escape the house for a few hours to allow people who were coming to work in a me-free environment.

the movie itself was better than I was anticipating, but I don't think its quite a return to form for Burton. my beef with Burton is that almost ALL of his movies post-Sleepy Hollow absolutely fall through in repeated viewings. They might be interesting to watch the first time around, but they usually don't have enough punch to work a few times through. I'm not entirely sure how Alice will feel more than once, but I get the impression it is going to be a lot better than Sweeney Todd and Charlie were on repeat viewings. On a whole I thought his take on the material was alright, although devoid of the entire concept/purpose of Alice, mainly, that there is no real plot and its a story written about absurdities and madness to interest children. also, wasn't so impressed with depp in this one, I think I've had enough of his zaniness, it just gets a bit old after a while. I think I'd rather have seen him actually PLAY alice himself rather than the mad hatter. thats a movie I'd pay to see.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.05, 03:04 PM   #112
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I saw Alice in Wonderland too. I give it a meh. The person who played Alice was iffy on some parts. And it seemed all rushed sometimes, while it dragged at others. I place it better than Mars Attacks and Corpse Bride but worse than Sweeney Todd. But still in the.. lower part of it all his movies. I don't ever think I'd be like "I want to sit down and watch Alice in Wonderland!"

Plus there was too much CG. Things often looked... off. Especially the horses. And WTFs was with the Avril Lavigne song at the end? That's not supposed to happen at the end of a Burton movie. (Batman aside) Burn it with fire.

The Mad Hatter's change into like, Scottish intermittently gave me lols. I'm still not sure if it was a good way or bad way.
And Helena Bonham Carter is a goddess. She didn't really really carry the movie or anything, but I'm convinced that I'd be happy to watch her in even the worst movie. (And with Burton movies being such as they are now, at least I'll have her to look forward to.)

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2010.03.05 at 03:15 PM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.05, 04:17 PM   #113
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

I'm really not looking forward to Tim Burton's take on the (unintentionally campy) soap opera Dark Shadows. Of course Johnny Depp will be playing the lead character Barnabus (0:06 and 0:41), and he apparently loved the show as a kid. The only way I'll only be okay with it is if Charlize Theron plays Angelique.

Last edited by BanFan : 2010.03.05 at 04:29 PM.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.05, 05:43 PM   #114
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Why is it that a lot of random people I meet in RL, like in classes and stuff, say that Tim Burton is their favourite director? (Maybe it's because he's the only director they know... I guess that's a bit snooty of me but it's prob true)

I only liked Edward Scissorhands. And Nightmare Before Christmas, although that might not count. And Alice is in my top 5 books so this time it's personal
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.05, 06:49 PM   #115
mizer_unmei

^ but omgoodness, Beetlejuice is the best thing everrr.

However, I would actually recommend against seeing the new movie. I don't see how people who are all into the books could appreciate it. It's just so weird and... away from all of what I think of with Alice in Wonderland. It felt more of a Narnia-esque plot than Alice-y.

On the subject of him being the favorite director of everybody and their mother, he is the de facto strange person director. Like, the Hot Topic going mass is the prime example of those who would say he's their favorite director and probably not know anyone else.

But he does have legitimate style in visuals, comedy and social interaction that I find appealing, even if I don't like the movie as a whole. Back in '99 I would've easily said he was my favorite director. (At that time I was quite aware of other directors as well, it's just that up until that point he made a lof of my favorite movies) Now, not so much... but I have seen all his movies since Sleepy Hollow on the first day of their release, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

And that Dark Shadows show looks hilariouss. I don't know how they'll work with the movie, but I don't disapprove of the idea.

last.fm
Old 2010.03.05, 08:27 PM   #116
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Watched Hachiko with my boyfriend today and cried like an absolute baby, and I'm not even a big fan of dogs. It started out kind of meh, the beginning felt more like a TV show than a film, and it was a bit hard to get into besides all of the cute puppy faces. By the end though, I could feel all of Hachiko's emotions. I understood everything he was feeling and just wanted to reach into the TV and hug him. It was a great exploration into loyalty, love, and different perceptions of death.
Still getting teary eyed just thinking about it D:
Old 2010.03.06, 12:34 AM   #117
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Why is it that a lot of random people I meet in RL, like in classes and stuff, say that Tim Burton is their favourite director? (Maybe it's because he's the only director they know... I guess that's a bit snooty of me but it's prob true)

I only liked Edward Scissorhands. And Nightmare Before Christmas, although that might not count. And Alice is in my top 5 books so this time it's personal
You should check out Ed Wood if you haven't seen it. It's a great Burton movie and Johnny Depp does a fantastic job as Ed Wood, Jr. in it. One of my favorites.

Also, Burton isn't even close to being my favorite director. I personally think he's a little overrated.
Old 2010.03.07, 12:09 PM   #118
kuro_neko

the whole Nightmare Before Christmas thing pisses me off because it isn't a Tim Burton movie, it was produced and written by him, but the reason why that movie isn't trash is the same reason why Coraline was amazing, simply, the director, Henry Selick. Henry Selick has just as strong a visual aesthetic, if not stronger, than Burton's, but Burton gets all the credit, and his movies just continue to get worse and worse, and all the while the fangirls scream Nightmare Before Christmas is his best! And I just look at them and I'm like...that wasn't even a Tim Burton directed movie....

but on a whole, he needs to stop remaking classics and raping my childhood and get back to writing original works. the whole concept of injecting a legit plot into Alice was laughable, it did feel like Narnia more than Alice in Wonderland...and I agree about the CGI. In a post-Avatar world, people just aren't going to buy that as easily. Don't waste your money for IMAX or even 3D people.
Old 2010.03.07, 03:01 PM   #119
mizer_unmei

And it's the reason why Corpse Bride was horribly lackluster. Give Burton reins of a stop motion animation film that isn't less than 5 mins long ('cause Vincent = <3) and it falls apart.

Coraline was fantastic, but I hated how just because it said "From the director of Nightmare Before Christmas" you had even legit newspapers and magazines accrediting it to Burton. Which is just poor fact checking, but it sucks that pretty much everyone and their mother has that misconception.

But I can't completely discredit Burton's involvement in TNBC. It does have his it's his story concept, his signature style, Danny Elfman's everything, and a lot of people he's worked with before (which is pretty much, a very Burton thing).

last.fm
Old 2010.03.07, 03:15 PM   #120
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
And it's the reason why Corpse Bride was horribly lackluster. Give Burton reins of a stop motion animation film that isn't less than 5 mins long ('cause Vincent = <3) and it falls apart.

Coraline was fantastic, but I hated how just because it said "From the director of Nightmare Before Christmas" you had even legit newspapers and magazines accrediting it to Burton. Which is just poor fact checking, but it sucks that pretty much everyone and their mother has that misconception.

But I can't completely discredit Burton's involvement in TNBC. It does have his it's his story concept, his signature style, Danny Elfman's everything, and a lot of people he's worked with before (which is pretty much, a very Burton thing).

I disagree with the last part about Burton and TNBC. It is his story, but it isn't the story itself which elevates that film, its the strong aesthetic in both visual presentation and music, neither of which are due to Burton, its due to Selick's visual taste and Danny Elfman's score. If you disagree, just look at Selick's other work, such as James and the Giant Peach, Monkeybone, and then Coraline. They aren't as in your face as TNBC but they retain the trademark touches. Burton provided the story and created the characters, but in terms of set and total design elements, he didn't have any more influence thatn Selick himself had. So I think the whole Burton bit is a bunch of BS.