Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.02.04, 10:42 AM   #41
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The way I see it, Theme songs work two ways:
An unremarkable movie can use a theme song from a popular artist to get attention.
An unknown band can get a quick burst of popularity through association with a popular movie/show.

I don't have a problem with the occassional theme song, but some bands do pretty much nothing but make theme songs, and in the end their songs all sound same-y. I'm looking at you FLOW.

It's also kind of embarassing when a band you like is so strongly associated with a theme song that isn't even representative of the band. See: The Cranberries, Galileo Galilei
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.04, 12:37 PM   #42
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

of Montreal has been doing the same thing for so long it's gotten boring. Haven't listened to the new stuff yet because I'm afraid to. I loved Hissing Fauna, Skeletal Lamping, and False Priest, but it's all kind of sounding streamlined by now.
Old 2015.02.04, 02:03 PM   #43
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Paralytic Stalks
Old 2015.02.04, 04:00 PM   #44
Slowdive

Slowdive has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The new Purity Ring leaked, I'm really liking it.

The full Hanae video is out: http://gyao.yahoo.co.jp/player/00101...0000000539146/

Last edited by Slowdive : 2015.02.04 at 05:19 PM.
Slowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.04, 07:42 PM   #45
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
The new Purity Ring leaked, I'm really liking it.
Keen to check it out, even if I find the album cover to be a little Porcupine-Tree tier cheesy :-p

The Hanae PV has been out in full for a while, I love how well made it is, though the spinning effect also makes me feel a little nauseous like when watching Irreversible :p

I also see that Rebel Heart has come out in it's final version too, will check it out but damn- 25 tracks, I imagine it will be a looooong listen.
Old 2015.02.04, 08:21 PM   #46
Slowdive

Slowdive has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Keen to check it out, even if I find the album cover to be a little Porcupine-Tree tier cheesy :-p

The Hanae PV has been out in full for a while, I love how well made it is, though the spinning effect also makes me feel a little nauseous like when watching Irreversible :p
Heartsigh, Repetition and Begin Aagain are my favourites so far.

Didn't know the full Hanae PV was already out, I just saw her tweet that link and assumed it was a Yahoo exclusive like I've seen other people do.
Slowdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.09, 07:11 PM   #47
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

As if to add insult to injury, Tori Amos has announced reissues of her masterpieces Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink.... AGAIN.

No new material that makes it worth it, and the vinyl could have been good- all the bsides in LP pressing form- but nope, they're the exact same 180grm pressings from... LAST year.

Why not reissue Boys for Pele, From The Choirgirl Hotel or even press, oh Scarlet's Walk on LP for the first time instead of giving us the same recycled stuff again and again.

I already own Under the Pink 5 times now... Original CD, Original LP, 2CD Australia Tour version (which features all the songs present on the new 2CD version), the 'extended' (and horribly 'remastered') A Piano mix and LAST YEAR'S reissue of the vinyl. The only difference is that this years 180grm version is on black and not pink.

I'm really getting fucking tired of this reissue crap. Wouldn't be so bad if the reissued material featured either something new or unreleased OR wasn't just reissued the previous year.

Get your fucking act together Tori.
Old 2015.02.09, 08:31 PM   #48
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Just a cash grab. Jeesh
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.14, 07:12 PM   #49
deadgrandma

Hamsandwich's new album is out in April.

It's called A ONE.

Yep. A ONE.
Old 2015.02.15, 08:01 AM   #50
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm more concerned over the band being named Hamsandwich.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote