Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.05.20, 06:34 PM   #21
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It is strange when your interest starts to wane in an artist you once couldnt live without. Things seem less important. You look at earlier posts and wonder why the hell you were so keen on defending the artist then. And then long for that feeling again.

It is then you find other artists. Take a break. Then come back. Today I replayed Shouso Strip for the first time in what seemed ages. And all the memories came flooding back. The reckless collecting. The retarded EMF arugments. The hours and hours of wasted life poured into a barely used message board.

Ive grown so disenchanted by Ringo's latest work that I frequently forget why I was following her to begin with. Everything up till Sanmon Gossip has a place in my heart- even, yes, Variety.

But what has really reignited the fire is this.

Watching someone discover Shouso Strip for the first time, and seeing her face literally light up. I've never seen that happen to anyone for any band. I've never been there to experience anyone discover something they instantly fall in love with like that, to be touched on such a deep level by a piece of music.

Shiina Ringo IS the real deal.

Don't ever forget.

Yeah that's enough of nice Grandma. Back to hating.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.05.20 at 06:44 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.20, 06:54 PM   #22
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

You are lucky - I've never met anyone else who could stand her. Now THAT'S disappointment.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.20, 06:56 PM   #23
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

My wife hated her at first. (Our tastes barely match except if it's Metallica) But after a while she's grown to like her more or less. The jazzy stuff is fair game for sure.

Im really surprised how well she took to Seiko Oomori though- I thought that would have been an instant "TURN THAT OFF" kinda response. She really fucking hates Mariko Goto and most Jun Togawa (though she really likes Showa Kyonen a lot) for example, and I find them to be in the same-ish area vocally. But no. She really digs her. Which I don't know if I like haha.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.05.20 at 07:00 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.20, 07:06 PM   #24
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

DG is....married?! I never would have suspected with all the money you spend collecting Oomori stuff
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.20, 07:17 PM   #25
deadgrandma

It helps when its like the one and only vice you have :-p

I dont really buy much else with the disposable cash. It like... Mortgage, Food, Oomori/Music related stuff. The occasional holiday when there's time.
Old 2015.05.20, 07:17 PM   #26
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Most of the criticisms I've heard about Ringo center around her voice. Even I will admit that to being somewhat put off by her voice at the very beginning, and it took me a while to really "get" her. Also I hear a lot that her music is too "derivative" of Western music, usually accompanied by an admonishment to go listen to something more "original".

But my girlfriend has a couple of unique ones. She has an extreme aversion to songs getting stuck in her head, and she says that Ringo's songs are "too catchy". She also says that Japanese music in general, and Ringo in particular, sounds "wrong" to her. Our working hypothesis on this is that Japanese music, and Ringo in particular, make extensive use of 7th chords, which are quite dissonant in a way she doesn't like (she doesn't like jazz either).
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.20, 07:21 PM   #27
deadgrandma

Most people who have criticised Japanese music to me mainly complain that they put the vocal track way too high in the mix. Which is a fair thing to say, because I can't deny it, particularly in the more "Jpop" end of the scheme.

Ringo is definitely no exception to this.

But it's also quite hard to take this too seriously when those people listen to Tame Impala or Animal Collective :-p
Old 2015.05.20, 09:20 PM   #28
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Most people who have criticised Japanese music to me mainly complain that they put the vocal track way too high in the mix. Which is a fair thing to say, because I can't deny it, particularly in the more "Jpop" end of the scheme.

Ringo is definitely no exception to this.

But it's also quite hard to take this too seriously when those people listen to Tame Impala or Animal Collective :-p
Ringo? Have more weighted and pronounced vocals??
Weird since I always thought of her vocals as mixed to drown.

My defunct band.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote