Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.09.17, 05:25 PM   #1
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Default Songs that you can't listen to?

Just out of curiosity...

All quips about mastering aside, are there any SRTJ songs that you just can't really get yourself to listen to?

All that comes to mind for me is Sweet Spot--it's really a beautiful song (I found this after I resolved to not skip past it in the live DVD), but the lyrics coupled with the instrumentals bring back all of the embarrassment of learning for the first time as a child what people do when they listen to Marvin Gaye

Do you have any songs that you just can't get through? Why?
Old 2015.09.17, 05:33 PM   #2
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'll do mine based on stuff OTHER than Sunny because I could probably talk about every new song on there :-p

Gips is my most obvious. It's just a minute too damn long and slows SS to a near halt. But I know a lot of people revere it as one of her top tracks. I don't necessarily think it's bad standalone, but it's certainly a bit of a chore in context with the album. And it's sad when Jihen do a better version (IMO of course).

Service has always been a pretty big thorn in my side. There is no need for that song to go for any longer than 3 minutes. But it keeps going on and on. Without the PV its tedious as fuck to endure. And it sounds like ass. I'll never be able to understand this one. I think the fact that it's phase 1 has made people a bit soft on it. Cause it's, well, annoying. Like ants in the pants.

I'll think of more later. I'm really wanting to do my attack on JL005 but I'll spare you guys from it :-p
Old 2015.09.17, 06:28 PM   #3
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

A few come to mind, not because I think they are BAD songs, but I just don't have the patience to sit through them:

- HF version of Karisome otome
- Togatta teguchi (funny cos I liked it when it came out but now it's gotten to the point where I've subconsciously forgotten that it's even a part of the album)
- Kodoku no akatsuki
- All the songs on color bars that don't have SR on vocals (soz, but her voice is a huge part of why I listen to her)
- Kaitei ni sukuu otoko (one of my least favourite TJ songs, EVER; if it didn't exist Discovery would legit be one of my favourite TJ albums)
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.17, 06:39 PM   #4
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
- All the songs on color bars that don't have SR on vocals (soz, but her voice is a huge part of why I listen to her)
^ This.

Also:

- NIPPON
- Koufukuron (Etsuraku hen)
- Togatta teguchi
- Rinne Highlight
- Superficial Gossip
- Aisaika no Choshoku
Old 2015.09.17, 06:39 PM   #5
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Oh yeah I forgot about Kodoku no Akatsuki... that's a pretty massive turd of a track

Zeroyouko, apart from NIPPON, you've listed all good to amazing tier stuff...

I mean, Aisaika no Choshoku, REALLY? WHAT THE HELL- I gotta hear your reasoning behind this one...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.17 at 06:46 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.17, 07:02 PM   #6
tsukigimehime

I'm also interested in your reasons, zeroryouko!

You guys have named some songs (like kaitei ni sukuu otoko, and totta teguchi) that I can't really remember but would probably not skip in the context of their albums.

I agree on gips; it's personally draining for me for some reason, and really does slow down the album's momentum. I kind of sigh when it pops into live sets too...oops...

though if I hear it come on while I'm out and about (it's happened a few times) then I'm suddenly really into it and ready to shout along
Old 2015.09.17, 07:05 PM   #7
deadgrandma

Heres a good one:

Netsuai Hakkakuchuu- OK. So on the surface this is an easy breezy song that shouldn't cause too much trouble. But it's when you stop and think about the potential this COULD have had- Shiina Ringo and Nakata who have had AMAZING work previously and are seen as two of the most influential artists in Jpop- working together. This should have been face melting. Instead, we just get a little, mostly forgettable ditty that would have been forgotten instantly if it weren't for the names attached. It's the squandered opportunity and cash-in nature of it that sickens me, and I can't stand to listen to it anymore.

And let's not forget that awful MV attached. Uggh. This is WAY MORE embarrassing than Ringo's early career (which she apparently seems to want to hide from nowadays). I can't even bare to watch it anymore. It's just so cringe inducing to me now. However, I did at least (for a while) have the comfort of thinking that this was the lowest she would stoop.

For a while anyway...
Old 2015.09.17, 07:12 PM   #8
zeroryouko
Ringophile

I interpreted the question as more along the lines of "which tracks do you always wind up skipping over." There are very, very few of her tracks that I just can't listen to at all.

I guess I should clarify:
  • Koufukuron (Etsuraku hen) - don't like the album version, do like it live. Not sure why.
  • Togatta teguchi - like gekokujyo said, it's not bad, but it just seems kind of forgettable compared to the rest of the album.
  • Rinne Highlight - this is kind of petty of me, but for some reason I'm really turned off by the fact that it's neither purely original nor explicitly a cover. Hearing recognizable elements from other songs is distracting. Except sometimes this can also awesome (e.g. Punk Mushi no Onna). I'm conflicted.
  • Bouenkyou no Soto no Keshiki, 17, Shijou no Jinsei - I should really add these, based on the above reasoning.
  • Aisaika no Choshoku - It *is* a good song, but it feels really out of place on Mayonaka wa Junketsu, and as a result I often would skip over it.
Old 2015.09.17, 08:37 PM   #9
tsukigimehime

I honestly wonder how they got the idea for the Netsuai video--Ringo kicking ass in the black outfit is definitely the last thing I expected to see in one of her MVs! (and even if she was embarrassed the whole time, she seems like she would go through with it anyway) I personally love the song (my face was definitely melted), though I remember it was the start of some "why is she singing like kyary pamyu pamyu!!" complaints. While the singing style is definitely towards Nakata's tastes, I liked how she was playing an ex-idol out for revenge and her voice also sounds like some kind of newly-sentient AI that's moments away from obliterating you.

I also expected something really different though, and I would be happy if they could collaborate more in the future, since there's definitely a lot of unexplored ground. I felt this way about Apple with Towa Tei, too. I guess I expected something a little more grand. I definitely give that whole album a spin every once in a while though

Zeroryouko, tracks you skip are also all-OK to me if you wanna talk about those just wondering if you listen Aisaika outside of the context of the single? Like you just want to hear it sometimes and listen to it on its own?

For my some of my skippable tracks... Despite enjoying distorted, noisy songs, I used to not want to put in the effort to listen to Crawl before and before this year, I'm sure I'd barely if ever heard it in full. It just sounded very straightforward and uninteresting at the time. But since giving it play time again and learning about the lyrics, I can't get enough of it. The portion from Dynamite Out! is also killer.

I used to skip gaman on the noudouteki single as well just because it starts kind of slow for me, but have since gotten very into it. I'm still mixed on pinocchio and kaban no nakami from the OSCA single--sometimes I will listen, sometimes I won't. It's just the big drop in energy after OSCA (imo) that makes me give up on them sometimes. :x
Old 2015.09.17, 10:49 PM   #10
zeroryouko
Ringophile

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
Zeroryouko, tracks you skip are also all-OK to me if you wanna talk about those just wondering if you listen Aisaika outside of the context of the single? Like you just want to hear it sometimes and listen to it on its own?
I actually hadn't listened to it in kind of a while, but I did so again this evening. It really *is* a great song and I feel kind of bad for implying otherwise.

Usually I would listen to it along with some others that I also felt like I had to be in just the right mood for. I used to have a separate playlist of the songs that I didn't usually listen to in the car, that I would play when I was home and had some time (and quiet) to devote to it. Since getting Watashi to Houden, however, I have mostly just listened to it there.

The other part of the equation is that Mayonaka wa Junketsu was one of the first two Ringo CDs I bought, and I bought it primarily for Mayonaka and Sid to Hakuchuumu. I didn't *really* start to appreciate Aisaika until a lot later.