Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2007.04.10, 07:04 AM   #11
Tokyo Jihad
Senior Member
 
Tokyo Jihad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio! Hoody Hoo
Posts: 4,993
Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Send a message via AIM to Tokyo Jihad
Default

As each day passes, the less sure I am about this, but I think this is her best album (MM is starting to creep up, in my opinion, but still.) I think Shiina thinks so too, and she really wants to duplicate it, but has been failing at it.
KZK is magnanimous listening start to finish. However, the songs also stand strong on their own right, which is what I think is the main flaw to an album like HF. HF has two songs that really "work" out of th context of the album (Gamble and Kono yo ni, first and last songs -- coincedence?) All the rest you need to be "in the mood." and what puts you in the mood more than the album?
Doppleganger, or Torikoshi kurou or, Ishiki work aswell alone as they do on the album, and thats why its a success.

Sure, you can argue the cds a little pretensious, but iI still think whats newer are the worse offenders than KZK because KZK has the clout.

The worst thing Shiina did with this album was make the version of Stem she did a single. I tink because of that, caused the album ro not sell as it could have
__________________
"Jihad is the soul of EMF"--Lena
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 08:55 PM   #12
HEDOfloe
Senior Member
 
HEDOfloe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,716
HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
As each day passes, the less sure I am about this, but I think this is her best album (MM is starting to creep up, in my opinion, but still.) I think Shiina thinks so too, and she really wants to duplicate it, but has been failing at it.
KZK is magnanimous listening start to finish. However, the songs also stand strong on their own right, which is what I think is the main flaw to an album like HF. HF has two songs that really "work" out of th context of the album (Gamble and Kono yo ni, first and last songs -- coincedence?) All the rest you need to be "in the mood." and what puts you in the mood more than the album?
Doppleganger, or Torikoshi kurou or, Ishiki work aswell alone as they do on the album, and thats why its a success.

Sure, you can argue the cds a little pretensious, but iI still think whats newer are the worse offenders than KZK because KZK has the clout.

The worst thing Shiina did with this album was make the version of Stem she did a single. I tink because of that, caused the album ro not sell as it could have
I really love Heisei Fuzoku and KZK and I have been debating about which of the two is my fave for a while. I do think that HF works the best if you are listening to the album and not in a playlist out of order, but I do not think that most of the songs do not are not as strong when taken out of context.

Also, HF was the only album after KZK so far so what do you mean that she has been trying to duplicate KZK and failing at it? The way you say it is as if she has released several albums after KZK and none are up to par.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 06:20 AM   #13
Tokyo Jihad
Senior Member
 
Tokyo Jihad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio! Hoody Hoo
Posts: 4,993
Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Send a message via AIM to Tokyo Jihad
Default

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Also, HF was the only album after KZK so far so what do you mean that she has been trying to duplicate KZK and failing at it? The way you say it is as if she has released several albums after KZK and none are up to par.
Kyoiku and Adult were after KZK (but before HF.) Kyoiku is the dissenting one, I think. I'm sure I could pin a kzk-kyoiku connection, but its a bit early.

Adult sounds like she was trying to make a more "accessible" version of KZK. One thats more like normal records, but strives to keep the soundscapes of KZK.
__________________
"Jihad is the soul of EMF"--Lena
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.21, 07:15 PM   #14
HEDOfloe
Senior Member
 
HEDOfloe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,716
HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Kyoiku and Adult were after KZK (but before HF.) Kyoiku is the dissenting one, I think. I'm sure I could pin a kzk-kyoiku connection, but its a bit early.

Adult sounds like she was trying to make a more "accessible" version of KZK. One thats more like normal records, but strives to keep the soundscapes of KZK.
I do not think you can compare the TJ albums to KZK because they are the albums of a band, not her solo work. The other members contribute to the music as well, I am obviously not in the studio with them but I imagine it is a band because everyone is part of it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.30, 01:28 AM   #15
golem09
Senior Member
 
golem09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,503
golem09 deserves a fucking medal
Send a message via ICQ to golem09
Default

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I do not think you can compare the TJ albums to KZK because they are the albums of a band, not her solo work. The other members contribute to the music as well, I am obviously not in the studio with them but I imagine it is a band because everyone is part of it.
Another difference between solo/band was the choice of instruments. In Kyoiku it was too obvious, the same instruments in every song, so that every member is involved.
Adult had some other instruments, yes but if you compare it to one her solo releases... All those sound effects, electronic sounds and different instruments used for every song... I liked that alot
__________________
"You're the most horrible people alive"

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.30, 06:40 AM   #16
Tokyo Jihad
Senior Member
 
Tokyo Jihad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio! Hoody Hoo
Posts: 4,993
Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Send a message via AIM to Tokyo Jihad
Default

MM used pretty much he same instruments that were on Kyoiku and Adult. Should it not be compared to KZK?

In my book, any argument is weaksauce because they are still abums full of Shiina material. Shiina is not going to let a band member come in and fill her song with bad ideas (Uki aside.) Shiina still has it how she wants em, theyre still her albums.
__________________
"Jihad is the soul of EMF"--Lena
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.30, 07:14 AM   #17
Cosmo!
Senior Member
 
Cosmo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 253
Cosmo! is an asset to this community
Default

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Shiina still has it how she wants em, theyre still her albums.
This is exactly what I've been thinking. Ringo may claim to be part of the band now, but she still handles a large majority of the songwriting and compositions and calls the shots; once an HBIC, always an HBIC.

I've read and heard a lot of claims that KSK dried up her creative well and she formed Tokyo Jihen as an excuse to either a. make life easier for herself by write simpler material or b. keep herself from having to admit that she won't be able to eclipse it, and I'm starting to think that maybe these claims are true. After all, she must have accepted input from the musicians she worked with while she was a solo artist, so it's not as if she was ever completely on her own and has finally had enough of it.

Still, I love her work as part of Tokyo Jihen (yes...both phases!) as much as her solo work, so I shouldn't complain.
__________________
seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you
Cosmo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.09, 06:45 AM   #18
redstuff
Member
 
redstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 82
redstuff pleased at least somebody
Default

I can see why it gets so much love, and it's grown on me more over time, but I still much prefer MM and SS out of her solo works. I think this or Adult was the second Shiina CD I listened to (they both came in the same package), but it probably would've been better to check out MM or something. Still, I'm far from disliking KSK, and there are some songs on here I really love. Torokoshi Kurou is one of my favorite Shiina songs period, and despite my general preference for rock I like Yattsuke Shigoto much more here than on ZCS.
redstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 12:39 PM   #19
zach
Member
 
zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 78
zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Send a message via AIM to zach
Default

KSK is a masterpiece of songwriting and production. I always feel like a pearl hunter reaching into a clam and pulling out a diamond.

It seriously astounded me when I first listened to it. The moment that insanely textured diminished chord came out of nowhere to begin the album -- and this never happens to me -- my mouth dropped open, I stopped doing everything else and turned the music way up. I remained in that state of awe for the entire album. I repeat, this has never happened before. Most albums have some good moments, great albums have lots of good moments, but this album was nonstop great because I was always in this absolutely blessed state of tense but sublime suspension, wondering and waiting for the punchline to every perfectly set up musical joke.

Most of the album I was simply reeling in awe at the staggering depth of creativity present in such small spaces and at such a high concentration. The moment the first track connected to the second I knew I was in for an experience. She had me gasping and pensively waiting, laughing and getting misty-eyed (all silently of course). By the end of the 44:44 I sat there in silence, attempting to process what I'd heard. "This is the best album I've ever heard." I said. Then, I started it over.

My roommates were doomed to hear nothing but that album from me for the next month. Even after years I still hear things in this album I hadn't noticed before. To this day I never tire of it, but I am more careful now to reserve it for times when I can listen to it as it deserves to be listened to.

KSK is always the album I use to introduce people to SR. Of course then I play them a bit of "La Salle" and "Yokushitsu" (and now the HF version blends them... something I'd always imagined... and they kept my favorite parts from each version too. i was super stoked about that, but didn't like the tempo drop.) and a little bit of Mayonaka and some other b-sides to show her genratic chameleonism. People usually get hooked fast.

I showed this album to several music professors, studio engineers and producers (out of duty if not fandom) and they are always in awe and try to spread the word as well. My jazz workshop instructor in college was basically choking on himself for the whole album.

KSK has changed my life. It dwarfed and then vastly enlarged my musical world. I will always love it.

~zach~

ps - as an artist, I completely understand SR's decision to form TJ after releasing KSK. The act of creation is joyous but demanding, as any pro musician or producer will tell you. And an album of KSK's magnitude would be exhausting. Believe me, that album was NOT easy to make. What are you going to do when you feel like you've just finished building the Eiffel Tower and you still have to pay the bills? Go build Eiffel Tower 2? No; not only do you lack the energy, but the Eiffel Tower deserves to be unique. She's a smart cookie, that Shiina Ringo, and she made the only choice that makes sense, aside from pursuing a different career for a while. Yes, there was relative safety in joining TJ and the songs on their albums are produced like band songs, not like solo studio projects. I hope anyone that ribs her about starting TJ being a cop-out move has to wash dishes, mow the lawn, do their taxes, shovel snow, and stay up all night with a crying baby the day after they finish a huge project.
__________________

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 12:52 PM   #20
Nimh
Administrator
 
Nimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,112
Nimh deserves a fucking medal
Default

^^^ You give good post there, Zach.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SR] 2003.12.17 - Electric Mole (DVD) [Concert Video] frecklegirl Product Reviews & Information 126 2018.05.07 03:48 AM
[SR] 2003.05.27 - Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana (Vinyl) [Album] frecklegirl Product Reviews & Information 26 2018.04.21 04:50 AM
[SR] 2003.01.22 - Stem ~Daimyou asobi hen~ (CD) [Single] frecklegirl Product Reviews & Information 22 2009.11.03 02:33 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:51 AM.