Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.12.14, 07:28 PM   #1561
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
What I wouldn't pay to hear a metal band cover this. And the rest of the soundtrack for that matter.
Reminded me of this:

Captain Tsubasa 2 NES Music
Captain Tsubasa 2 Guitar (Part 1)

By the way, it's incredible how TECMO programmers were able to make this game out of those 8 bits. It's pure magic, even today.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.16, 10:50 AM   #1562
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
What are people's favourite retro games? I've never played Zelda (or any kind of RPG really) so will start with that on SNES.
Single player: Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Zelda.
Multiplayer: Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, River City Ransom

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Shogun 2 has been way too much of a time vampire for me recently. I don't want to put a campaign on hold unless I feel that my borders are sufficiently secure. Since I rarely ever have that feeling, the game could easily consume an entire Saturday.
I tried to play Shogun 2, but I was having all kinds of issues with slow loading and freezing so I gave up. I'll probably give it another go when I upgrade my PC next year.
Old 2011.12.17, 12:10 AM   #1563
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Decided to restart playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 since I never finished it.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.19, 07:15 AM   #1564
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Why Japanese Games are Breaking Up With the West

excerpt:
Critics in the west have been crowing about the supposed death of the Japanese industry for years. And while their critiques have a certain degree of truth to them, they're missing the point. Japanese game development did run into trouble during this console generation, but their issues are so removed from the average gamer's experience (workforce and labor management) as to be meaningless. The games themselves are as good as they've ever been, but they're just not made for the entire world anymore. Japanese games are now by and large made to appeal almost exclusively to Japanese gamers. Rather than this being another piece that focuses on the alleged downfall of the Japanese industry, we thought we should focus on why Japanese games and western tastes have diverged so much in recent years. There's no single cause that can explain the phenomena -- the possible reasons range from the social and economic, to the practical and mundane. Regardless, the fact remains that Japanese gamers are now seeking different experiences from North Americans and Europeans.

Gamer taste in both regions underwent a massive sea change in recent years. While the slow takeover of the AAA console space by former PC heavy-hitting franchises, genres and studios like Fallout, FPS games, and BioWare changed the tastes of the western market in the past decade, other forces have been working on Japan in the same time. The reasons for the shift in Japanese gamer taste are numerous, but there are three that western gamers in the country continuously note -- a peculiar emotion called moe, the Japanese concept of hobbies and adulthood, and a tradition of disparaging foreign games.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.19, 08:57 AM   #1565
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Interesting article. Lots of truth in there -- that Bioshock story in particular is rather striking.

But I think it misinterprets the effect of moe culture on the industry, and overstates the "yogei kusogei" mindset (I've seen "洋ゲー糞ゲー" and "洋ゲー=糞ゲー" bandied about, but I don't think it's every Japanese gamer's mantra.)
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.23, 06:09 AM   #1566
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

We should really play APB RELOADED together.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.07, 11:15 PM   #1567
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

Got myself a Nintendo 3DS around Christmas and I must say I've been loving it. Mario #D and Mario Kart 7 have been a wonderful tonic to all the bs news I've gotten recently.

Anyone else on here with one?
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.07, 11:29 PM   #1568
W3iHong

i want to get an xperia play to play FF tactics and harvest moon...
Old 2012.01.08, 03:59 AM   #1569
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
i want to get an xperia play to play FF tactics and harvest moon...
I love mine! I can't say I know the compatibility of those games with FPSE or any other PSX emulator though. I'm also liking the Android port of Sonic CD and having OnLive on a phone is pretty sick as well if you have a fast enough Wifi connection. Just as long as you're not expecting it to be a PSP. I think the only PSP game for Android as a whole is Spectral Souls, and whatever PS Suite is going to be, it's not out yet.

But how much are they in Singapore? The main reason I have one is that the buttons had fallen off my old iPhone 3G and the Xperia Play is cheap for a smartphone in the UK (<£200 contract-free, plus something like a giffgaff £10 calls/unlimited data a month). It also doesn't have a dualcore CPU or TV-out, but since I needed a new phone and could afford it out of contract, it's the only one that excited me particularly.

Last edited by so_cold : 2012.01.08 at 04:48 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.08, 04:56 AM   #1570
W3iHong

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
I love mine! I can't say I know the compatibility of those games with FPSE or any other PSX emulator though. I'm also liking the Android port of Sonic CD and having OnLive on a phone is pretty sick as well if you have a fast enough Wifi connection. Just as long as you're not expecting it to be a PSP. I think the only PSP game for Android as a whole is Spectral Souls, and whatever PS Suite is going to be, it's not out yet.

But how much are they in Singapore? The main reason I have one is that the buttons had fallen off my old iPhone 3G and the Xperia Play is cheap for a smartphone in the UK (<£200 contract-free, plus something like a giffgaff £10 calls/unlimited data a month). It also doesn't have a dualcore CPU or TV-out, but since I needed a new phone and could afford it out of contract, it's the only one that excited me particularly.
(I converted the units just for easier comparison.)

It is around £292.30 for no contract and £120.34 with a 3g contract. It is out of stock apparently. I just checked the online shop.

But it is pretty cheap considering iphone4s is £547 here.

(I converted the units just for easier comparison.)