Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.09.06, 04:03 PM   #8651
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I take back what I said about charisma.com as a Halcali evolution.

No, they are far better than that. After listening carefully to their lyrics, it seems almost all of them are about social issues (!), particularly ones affecting women (!!), and they experiment with musical styles, including baile funk (!!!)
No joke, they remind me of MIA more than anything. I love them, my new favorite band. I just checked and they are performing at Shibuya XXX in November, let's hope they are performing between April-August next year!
Ok.. this band do sound good. But... please don't wank them up/uni-fy for me. I was really enjoying them till you posted the whole "social issues particularly about women and "baile funk" part" (whatever that is :-p)

New favourite band
? Within 48 hours? All I know existing out there is a shitty 128kbps rip, and I doubt you've bought the CD/its had time to arrive yet :-p I have the rip and while I do enjoy the album, I doubt it will reach into favourite band territory... give it a month, if you still feel the same way then fair enough. Could be worse.
Old 2013.09.06, 04:35 PM   #8652
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

baile funk is awesome, I grew up around a lot of Brazilians, it's Brazilian ghetto dance music!

I am attempting to translate HATE, but my barely-passable Japanese makes that hard. However, these are funny lyrics. It's a total diss song, I love how nasty they are being. And the beats and breakdowns are interesting.

Maybe they aren't my "new favorite band", but I can imagine that they will remain in my canon of loved Japanese bands, and there is always something great about discovering a nascent band, meaning I might be able to see them in concert without going to a dumb arena show.

I know you have no desire to learn Japanese, but don't get mad when somebody points out that the lyrics have meaning instead of just being gibberish. You said the same thing when I started talking about Togawa's lyrics...
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.06, 05:04 PM   #8653
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Reading into things and not reading in to anything are both valid reasons to listen.
Old 2013.09.06, 05:35 PM   #8654
TurtleFu

Except there's a difference from suspending your brain from thinking to just enjoy things and being anti-intellectual in general.
Old 2013.09.06, 05:56 PM   #8655
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

What I mean was... I just found them so much more enjoyable as simply "pissed offed office ladies making songs". Does it really need much more depth than that?

And OK... social issues are important... but why make such an emphasis on female issues like it's something new? I hear women talk less about female issues than you do. Every 90s alternative female artist ever covered every single aspect of the issue to the point of it becoming a cliche. PJ Harvey (for a general example) long realised that it had become droll and left it behind and now focuses on the bigger picture. Let England Shake was about World War 1 for godsake... not a heavily talked about/fairly fresh idea in music. I just don't see why you get so excited about old territory, or do you mean it's exciting hearing it from a Japanese perspective?

Anyway. Charisma.com have made a nice album. I'm not getting into an argument/saying anything bad about their music. I just want to appreciate it in my own way, and pissed off office ladies it is!
Old 2013.09.06, 06:12 PM   #8656
TurtleFu

Yeah, I see where you are coming from. It's not so much social issues, as it's just two pissed off OLs speaking their mind about how stupid people are. It's unusual either way. It's not particularly deep but the audacity is still interesting.

It's adorable that you think Western white-centric feminism is the same thing as feminism in East Asia. There are so many things I can say to that but I won't bother. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I'm just surprised that you like so many artists who, to me, obviously have something to SAY (Shiina Ringo, Jun Togawa, Midori) and yet you disregard any textual meaning in their work.
Old 2013.09.06, 06:21 PM   #8657
deadgrandma

Oh I know they have something to say, I wouldn't have kept with them for so long if they hadn't... but its the music and vocal delivery first and foremost. If that hooks me in long and deep enough, then I'll start looking into the 'textual' meaning of the work. But I dunno... sometimes when I do that I end up disliking the music I fell in love with because the lyrics/textual context just don't match up with the grandiosity of the music (could also potentially be vice versa, though I don't believe that's actually happened yet).

What happens when music is solely instrumental? Does it mean that is has less meaning than music WITH lyrics? I find Sunn O)))'s albums (on the whole, mainly instrumental) to be some of the "deepest" albums I've come across yet they don't need a textual context to gain this depth. I guess I go on feeling over thought when it comes to music.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.09.06 at 06:32 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.06, 06:25 PM   #8658
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
It's not particularly deep but the audacity is still interesting.
Miley Cyrus Talks Twerking

Akon Ft Snoop Dogg - I Wanna Fuck You

Samwell
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.06, 06:35 PM   #8659
TurtleFu

You're completely right, DG. I just have an over-active brain. All day I read textbooks and history books and make connections, and I can never just enjoy things, I have to analyze everything. It's one of the reasons why I love dumb pop music, there is nothing to read into

I do my homework to instrumental (classical) music, because I can't get distracted from it! And I do feel some of my most intense emotional reactions to classical music.

EDIT: BACK TO MUSIC! NO MORE ARGUING
MEG by Mondo Grosso

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.09.06 at 06:57 PM.
Old 2013.09.06, 07:47 PM   #8660
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
^thanks for trying to start another useless arguement about the subject on the internet. unfortunately, you found the wrong person (and in the wrong place too) to argue with as I'm completely uninterested about this dispute (and politics in general).
Whether you're political or not, you're implicated in a conflict that my government is deeply involved in and the lobby for your country is now pushing hard for the U.S. to go to war against the interests of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

And get your hands out of American taxpayers' pockets.

No apologies.

Layla tov.

Goyim untermenschen reject war for the Jewish state (and the KSA and Qatar and Turkey and international bankers and the defense industry

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.09.06 at 07:52 PM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote