Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.01.10, 07:57 PM   #551
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

You don't think Gamble from ZCS and Gamble from HF sound totally different?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.10, 08:01 PM   #552
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

You think Poltergeist sounds totally different?
Old 2008.01.10, 08:10 PM   #553
HEDOfloe

^ Good point. Although the HF version does sound much grander in my opinion. Regardless, I wouldn't say my use of "totally" was the "most subjective use of the word " as there were songs that were totally different. Asides from Poltergeist, I'd say the other remade songs went through pretty drastic changes.
Old 2008.01.10, 08:16 PM   #554
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Gamble is the sole redo on the album worth publishing. All the KZK songs we'd heard before in those exact arrangements. Poltergeist is a joke of a "redo."
Yokushitsu...i'll give a "mmaaybe" pass to. People like the two prior versions of the song, I wasn't really a big fan (ESPESCIALLY of La Salle) so this is just sorta a hack of both vers together. Ill give it a maybe.

If the album were full of Gambles, then go for it. DRASTIC new versions of songs (think the Virgin Line ver of Gunjo -- that woulda been perfect) Not sorry crap we'd heard 3+ years ago and couple of slapdash "remixes."
also, on topic, Variety sux. 07 was a horrible year for Shiina music
Old 2008.01.10, 08:24 PM   #555
HEDOfloe

Ok, dude whatever you say. I still think I'd rather have a studio recording of the Baishou Exstasy performances than an audio rip of the concert, just like I'd kill for studio versions of the DomestiC! arrangements, but I guess that's just me.
Old 2008.01.11, 12:06 PM   #556
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

When I first heard Variety I really, really liked it. I liked the kitschy variety-show-esque music in the opening and ending songs, and I liked a lot of the stuff in between (except "Fukushuu").

But now I can't listen to most of it. :/ Only "Kingyo no Hako," "Killer Tune," and sometimes "Ramp." (I'm neutral on "OSCA," like always.) The rest... eh. The sounds are just bleh and not exciting after a few listens, and now they are almost offensive to my ears. I start listening and then I hit skip and before I know it I've skipped almost the whole album. The only way I can listen to it the whole way through is if I get distracted and then sort of realize 'oh, I'm listening to Variety now.' But even then I perceive a distinct mediocrity in the sound.

I really wish she had written the songs herself. But I look forward to (hopefully) better efforts.

So there's my time-tested Variety review. (Not up for debate!!! I see you, Hedo!)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.11, 02:30 PM   #557
HEDOfloe

Hahah, I wasn't going to say anything about it. There is really nothing to argue about if you just don't like something. Plus, I sorta feel the same. I don't skip through everything, but after hearing it like 50 times straight, the magic started to wear off. Unlike their previous two albums which I can still listen to over and over again.
Old 2008.01.11, 03:58 PM   #558
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Sorry to ruin the mood, but I still like it a lot.

However, Adult will always be my favorite (I guess).
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.11, 04:24 PM   #559
HEDOfloe

^ Hmmm, I like a lot too. I don't know, when I'm not listening to it, I don't have that same urge to go and play it (except for a couple of songs that I will never get tired of), but when I do play them, I'm absolutely in love. It's a weird feeling. I guess my only explanation is that I can only listen to them when I'm feeling a certain way, unlike the other albums which I could listen to all the time. Not like if I'm in a happy mood or that kind of thing, but its more like the instruments within the songs aren't as cohesive as Ringo songs, so sometimes it just sounds noisy, and if I'm not in the mood for that, it can be annoying even.

EDIT: I just noticed most of my top played tracks on LastFM are from Variety. If I had started an account earlier, I'm sure it would be most tracks from ADULT, but you know
Old 2008.01.11, 05:41 PM   #560
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

I'm also feeling like frecklegirl now... These days I'll only listen to a few songs (Killer Tune, Sake to Geko) and skip the rest. Variety was ok but it doesn't have the same long-term replayability that the other stuff has to me.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote