Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.01.29, 03:40 PM   #141
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

I was playing 3min in my dorm room while my room mate was getting ready, and she remarked that it sounded like Gwen Stefani. Then Put Your Camera Down came on and she said "Yup, definitely sounds like her. You wouldn't like her though, because she's not Japanese."
Room mate nowhere near hooked, but it made me laugh.
Old 2011.01.30, 02:08 AM   #142
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Gwen Stefani?! She sounds nothing like that.
Old 2011.01.30, 08:24 AM   #143
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Hahaha Gwen Stefani. Reminds me of the time my dad asked me if It's the End of the World by R.E.M. was a Green Day song. Parents.
Old 2011.01.30, 08:31 AM   #144
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Maybe it's because Gwen Stefani has whinyish vocals.

Because I've been so...enthusiastic about SR in the past, I've also been accused of 'liking only japanese music.'
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.02, 08:27 AM   #145
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Managed to get the guy who works with me into a bit of Japanese music recently. He was of the opinion that it was all idol rubbish for perverts as is the stereotype, but he quite likes Jun Togawa and Pizzicato 5 now, so I'm opening his ears more and more as time goes by.

I clearly don't expect to convert my workplace but it's cool that there's at least one other guy who took the time to listen and now reaps the rewards.

I'll probably get him into Capsule, Andymori and a few others soon.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.18, 04:40 AM   #146
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

My friends have a strong hatred to female musicians, so no chance. Nope, for them (and in turn me) it's Swans and Depeche Mode. At least I like Swans, never liked Depeche Mode though.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.12, 07:05 PM   #147
jackmanca

jackmanca is headed in the right direction

i was watching Dynamite Out and Ringo Expo like crazy in my bedroom, and a friend of mine started to like, and she is probably hearing it at this exactly moment in her house

Oh, and now we are sowing the Ringo seed in another friend of ours
Old 2013.07.08, 03:14 AM   #148
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

One of the guys that regularly frequents my bar apparently had an old roomate/college friend/whatever that introduced him to Shouso Strip (good place to start, amirite?). Anyway, we got into a conversation about Japanese music and the subject of Ringo came up. Planning to burn him all the main albums when I get a chance (dude doesn't have a computer for some reason). Should be an interesting experiment to see what type of fan category he falls into, being exposed to everything at once for the most part. Will post results.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.30, 08:02 AM   #149
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It's always the voice, eh. My partner doesn't like her for that reason. I didn't like her voice at first either, but it was at least morbidly fascinating (now her voice has ruined every other 'pop' musician's voice for me because they always seem to lack SR's *bite* in comparison).
I don't think he likes the chaotic aspect of a lot of her music in general.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.30, 09:54 AM   #150
hedgehog

hedgehog has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I find it hard to get people into Shiina's music. It seems most people listen to music only because of exposure, repetition, and acceptance. A lot of the people I know initially hate a song played on pop radio but when I see them next it's their new favorite song.

Shiina isn't popular in America because she doesn't get airplay here therefore it'd be embarrassing listening to music your friends aren't listening to. But on a positive note I've gotten my sisters and brothers into a few of her songs.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote