Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Get Lucky vs 3min
Get Lucky 3 23.08%
3min 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013.06.30, 01:28 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Daft Punk's Get Lucky vs 3min

Which is the better 'retro' pop single?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.30, 03:04 AM   #2
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm having a hard time figuring out where this question might have come from, but my answer is 3min, since it was pretty much my favourite TJ single and thus stuck in my head for weeks.

Get Lucky is a cute song, though, can't argue with that.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.30, 03:37 AM   #3
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Oh... now I know what you meant by 3 Min and of course 3 Min, I still don't 'get' Daft Punk whatsoever :-p
Old 2013.06.30, 03:46 AM   #4
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The new Daft Punk is very un-daft-punk. It's jumping on that Marvin Gaye revival bandwagon.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.30, 10:01 AM   #5
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Oh, you mean Noudouteki Sanpunkan.

The only Daft Punk release worth anything, in my opinion, is Alive 2007 since it elevates their decidedly-mediocre catalog into something slightly less monotonous and repetitive. And I'd still rather listen to anything Justice ever put out.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.30, 01:49 PM   #6
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Can I add two more contestants?

Daniel Powter "Crazy All My Life"

Maroon 5 - Makes Me Wonder"
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.01, 06:57 AM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I realize this is the Shiina Ringo forum and everything Shiina Ringo is going to be overblown.

Please allow to me to be the voice of dissent.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills as I read the comments in this thread. "Get Lucky" is funky, sexy, catchy and Sanpukan is flat, boring and loveless. I don't like Sanpukan, Sam I am. Not when it came in to being, and not in 2013. It almost seems unfair to compare it to Daft Punk. Really, its unfair to the latter as well.

Both songs have different aims to different audiences with different artistic perspectives.

Daft Punk are just as rabid for EDM as EMFers are for Shiina Ringo, and on Random Access Memories, they present the ultimate fan service. Meticulous attention to detail and a great respect for their influences Daft Punk pay homage as well as expand, update, and project their ideas into the future. RAM isn't an immediate album, it's made to be studied and lived in. As I listened the first few times, I acknowledged how smart it was even if I hadn't wrapped my head around the whole thing. It is quite a dense record. "Get Lucky" is the most readily yielding track and rolls up all the qualities of billboard-chart-topping songs from Chic back in the day.

Tokyo Jihen aren't that kind of act and never claimed to be. Tokyo Jihen lifts a few ideas, implants them in their songs to evoke other artists, genres, styles of music in the listener. Tokyo Jihen doesn't lend themselves to their source material and become that sound like Daft Punk does. Every Tokyo Jihen song sounds like every other Tokyo Jihen song. Tokyo Jihen announced themselves as a pop act from day one, and the aspect of "pop" they stuck to throughout their tenure was the consumability. Their songs are like potato chips. They please the listener immediately, and the listener can consume quite a bit before inevitably growing tired. However, nothing of what they just consumed gave something back to the listener passed that first second of satisfaction. Maybe the listener gets a little kick that Sanpukan borrows a dancier beat, so its like listening to a new genre, without actually listening to anything new. (Same shit for all the jazzy and showtune bullshit.)

In america we have these collections called "Kidz Bop." They are cds with top 40 hits, but covered by session musicians with little kids on vocals. They are made for parents who are uncomfortable with their kids supporting artists who may have "questionable morals" or whose songs may have dirty words. The kids get a version of the song they like, and the parent has a good conscience that they did their part.

Its dumb and silly, but these things have a place, and no one said they were supposed to replace the real thing. That's how I feel about a song like Sanpukan. It's mostly filler until the listener is ready to listen to Random Access Memories, or a Chic or Shalamar best of.
Old 2013.07.01, 07:16 AM   #8
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Hmm, I haven't heard RAM... but I dunno, I can't see myself investing a whole load of time into a genre/band/image/lifestyle I've got no interest in. I just don't think I'd ever be physically able to like it, nothing I've heard by them seems to "fit my ears", and believe me, I've heard A LOT by them.

THAT BEING SAID... I do like SOME EDM... just Daft Punk seem too light for me... for example, I will safely say that I really dig Shaking the Habitual/Fever Ray's album. But it's hardly danceable. It's more like Bjork or something (to go for a cheap shot/lazy comparison- I'm fucking tired right now) and I do like Goldfrapp too, but that's cause of her voice more than anything. Oh, and Felt Mountain/Seventh Tree aren't really EDM as such. So yeah... if Daft Punk have anything harder like this I'd like to know... but if it's all like Get Lucky, Around The World and One More Time then I say no thanks.

In other words, if Daft Punk are supposedly the Radiohead of EDM (yes, I've actually heard them being referred to like that), then I'm yet to hear it, or have heard it but my disinterest has made it fly over me.

Also, I'm trying not to get involved with anything regarding TJ/SR on this thread, cause everything has been written in other threads in one way or another, but:

As for "Every Tokyo Jihen song sounds like every other Tokyo Jihen song"- you could only say that if you do indeed suggest that they 'had their own sound'. Whether you like it or not, I cannot think of any band that truly sounds like them. How is this (from the perspective of a band, not mine or yours opinion) a bad thing? You might not like their sound, but ultimately, they were quite a weird band and I think I'll actually miss em now that EMI have (apparently) stopped milking their disband. I don't think you give them enough credit, just look at their final offering Color Bars, how can you ever label them a "Kidz Bop" group and keep a straight face with a release that truly bizarre? That mini album still confuses and excites me to this day, and I appreciate more now than ever before. What a fucked up send-off.

Damn, yeah, I'm quite happy with that. Would be a good departing message for EMF, but I'm not going anywhere yet :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.01 at 08:05 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.01, 10:00 AM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

You don't have to like Daft Punk, but you don't have to like Daft Punk to appreciate their music (at least Get Lucky and their latest record.) Personally, I have a hard time with electronic music in general (unless its something like The Knife or Bjork) and even more so with dance music (I think its just hard to connect with it in my normal music listening mode.) I get it. I also found their latest too smart to write off.

Tokyo Jihen was a pop act that tempered their sound with genre flourishes. These flourishes introduce the listener to other kinds of music in a really safe and familiar setting, and from there the listener an discover new and interesting acts. I think thats a very noble spin on Tokyo Jihen's career and their greatest accomplishment together. I know comparing them to Kidz Bop sounds like a major diss (and I mean, it is) but they both meet that same end.

On Sanpukan, the band wants to evoke a slightly soulful, dancey sound, but they also can't leave to many fans behind so they have to be inflexible with their sound. Maybe they could have gone "all in" like Daft Punk, but that wouldn't be in line with their aim (even if it could have meant a better song.) That's why everything feels so safe with Jihen, even the things you say are "weird." The goofy videos, the cutesy stage shows all felt calculated board-room-grown wacky like a Nickelodeon* show. The band needed to remain accessible.

(* Nickelodeon is a children's television channel in the US.)

Color Bars is more of the same if you count out Hata's song. Every track is inline with every other post-Adult song. Hata's song is totally different because the bands does go all in on a sound. Artistically, its a humongous pay off and as a case study, I'm sure it left a few fans behind. If anything it further cements the bands choice over accessibility over whatever more serious art they could have pursued. They could have, they chose otherwise, and is that so wrong? The confusion comes from the bands solo work where they do tent to make real art (and I know I'm culprit one at this) and where the line from that music and Tokyo Jihen gets drawn.
Old 2013.07.01, 11:49 AM   #10
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

3 min is a stronger song melodically... it's got a very Jamiroquai-influenced sound (one of Ringo's favorites).

"Get Lucky" is basically the same loop over and over again.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote